Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Just a Herbicidal maniac.
2,168 Posts
Hi there. For peace of mind, it's a reasonably inexpensive mod to upgrade the tranny cooler to a larger one and at the same time, add an in-line filter. I upgraded the one in my 01' Tundra about 6 or 7 years ago. I bought my cooler and filter from IPT Performance Transmissions. This company is now a preferred vendor and John goes by Transdude here on T.S if you have any questions for him.

The Long Tru-cool brand of cooler that he sells has a temperature controlled by-pass, so that when the tranny fluid is cold, it doesn't run through the cooler. No need right? I would suggest getting the largest cooler that will fit. Basically I popped the hood and measured the area available then went to IPT's web page and looked at all the dimensions and selected the largest one that would fit.

You may also want to consider a tranny temp gauge. I bought the gauge, sending unit and A-pillar mount from Summit Racing. I believe IPT sells the sending unit, not sure about gauges. I actually bought a 2nd tranny pan, then had a bung welded into it for the sending unit. Then when I had the time, I swapped out the tranny pan and wired up the gauge. Now I have very accurate readings on my tranny's temp at all times. The other option is to put the sending unit "in-line" in the rubber line between the transmissions 'hard' line and the entry to the bottom of the radiator. The heat from the radiator helps to warm up the tranny fluid. The trick with putting the sending unit in the rubber line is grounding it, otherwise it won't work. You have to run a ground wire from the unit to a suitable place on the frame. If you go this route, the sending unit's readings won't be as accurate while pulling up a long grade as the engine compartment heat will falsely affect the readings. I know this because for awhile I had both setups with two gauges, one on the A-pillar and the other mounted just above the tranny hump in the cab. Before I put the sending unit in the tranny pan, I did the in-line method and it is pretty accurate in most situations with the exception of long hill climbs and stop and go traffic. For added protection, I'm running Amsoil full synthetic in the tranny and Mobile1 in the engine. As I think we all know, heat is the #1 killer of automatic transmissions.

I've towed our 26' Outback all over California, to Yellowstone, Oregon, Washington, Nevada, Idaho and Death Valley with this setup and it's been stone cold reliable. My Tundra now has 135,000 miles and tows great!

Whew! Sorry for the long post.

So I would say go for it! For a couple of hundred bucks and your own labor it's an investment in long tranny life for your Sequoia. AND, you get to do a couple of mods to boot! :D :tu:

·
2,168 Posts
IPT has about 7 sizes to choose from...Which size did you get ? Any pictures?

THX!
I just stuck a tape measure up against it and I get approximately 8.5" x 11". I possibly could have bought one a little bigger, but this one fits well. If I really wanted to go crazy, I could have left the stock cooler and just hooked the new one up in series. Here's a pic with flex-a-lite fan mounted to it:

·
Registered
124 Posts
WoW! Very nice setup. Looks just like this one pkg'd by B&M...$200. Did your kit come with the brackets or did you have to fab some up to make it fit?

Specs:
Oil Cooler, 13.5 in. x 9 in. x 3.5 in. Cooler, 9.5 in. Fan, 175 Degree Thermostat, 1/2 in. NPT Female, Kit

·
2,168 Posts
Thanks for the compliment. :) It' been like 7-8 years since I set this up...I think I used some brackets that came with the cooler. It wasn't any real big deal, just took a little imagination. That B&M setup is nice, but I think you could probably do it for less by buying the fan and cooler seperate, unless that fan comes with a thermostatically controlled switch as part of the price. That switch was something I bought to go with the fan. I picked up the fan and switch from Summit Racing.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Just did the upgrade this lazy afternoon. I decided to hook up the new cooler to go in between the existing trans cooler and the radiator cooler.

basicallly, fluid comes out of the radiator, goes into the new tru cooler, then goes into the OEM cooler, then through an inline filter, and back to the trans.

Cooler's a Long tru-cooler, 11x11x1.5. Kit came with everything I needed to install, and more.

many thanks to Herbicide for posting his info. Made all the hard work that much easier just seeing the pics you posted up.

Attachments

·
2,168 Posts
Just did the upgrade this lazy afternoon. I decided to hook up the new cooler to go in between the existing trans cooler and the radiator cooler.

basicallly, fluid comes out of the radiator, goes into the new tru cooler, then goes into the OEM cooler, then through an inline filter, and back to the trans.

Cooler's a Long tru-cooler, 11x11x1.5. Kit came with everything I needed to install, and more.

many thanks to Herbicide for posting his info. Made all the hard work that much easier just seeing the pics you posted up.
Excellent! Looks factory. :tu: Glad I could "help". :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Here's something I hadn't considered:
Since the fluid is bypassed when it's cold, and only flows through this cooler when it's hot,
I'm seeing that cooler takes about 1.5-2.0 more quarts of fluid when fluid flows through this cooler of mine. So which level on the dipstick should I keep in check, the level for cold fluid or hot? My gut tells me that I need to hold the trans fluid level for hot conditions, right?

But if I do, I'm concerned that when I go to drive the truck in the morning, there's almost 2 more quarts of fluid above the level for cold fluid. Anyone know if I'm still in a safe zone with this, or will this extra volume of fluid cause me to blow out the tranny's pump, seals, and/or clutches?

·
2,168 Posts
It has been awhile, but I believe I 'set' the fluid level based upon the cold temp mark on the tranny dipstick. Or I may have taken the middle ground and filled it 1/2 way between the hot and cold marks when the tranny was cold. I just don't recall, sorry. :confused: With the complete transmission holding something like 15 quarts, an extra 1.5 to 2 quarts circulating around in there shouldn't hurt anything. I've not had any tranny issues and I have almost 136,000 miles on the clock. I added the extra trans cooler at about the 50K mark.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know that this thread had been posted for quite some time, but I am glad to be able to get valuable information to do a similar upgrade. I have a 6-week trip plan to travel the Northeast from Georgia and have been thinking of adding a supplemental transmission cooler for my Tundra. This site was a great help on how to do it. This is how my a Tru-Cool H7B transmission cooler install look like.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts