Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured I would start a post to document my transmission cooler modifications and outcomes.

I decided to change radiators and have ordered a Mishimoto all aluminum replacement radiator, only problem is that it does not have the integral transmission cooler like the factory radiator does. This is actually a good thing because I wanted to separate the two after reading some stories about the transmission cooler leaking fluid into the cooling system and causing big problems.

I was previously running the transmission through the factory in-radiator cooler, then out to a Long Tru-Cool 14,000 GVW stacked plate auxiliary cooler, then through a Magnifine in-line filter before returning to the transmission. I currently have my transmission temperature sensor located in the line leaving the radiator, prior to entering the factory in-radiator cooler, which is reading the hottest temps that are leaving the torque converter. I have a new transmission pan and weld-in bung and will be moving the temperature sensor for my gauge into the transmission pan next weekend, but wanted to leave it where it's currently located while I'm experimenting with coolers so I have a good baseline to compare changes to.

Last Thursday evening I removed my 14,000 GVW auxiliary cooler from in front of the A/C condenser and replaced it with a Tru-Cool 24,000 GVW cooler. I bypassed the in-radiator cooler and am using the tru-cool as the primary transmission cooler.

Prior to changing the cooler configuration I was getting 150F temps while cruising on flat ground with ambient temps in the 80's and would see it max at about 180F with the ambient temps higher and some hills thrown in the mix. On long, steep uphill grades I've seen the temp gauge hit around 200F.

On Friday we set out on a Memorial Day off-road/camping trip about 150 miles from home, I had completed the cooler swap late Thursday night and didn't have time to test it, so as usual I was rolling the dice :rolleyes:.

Once on the road I was seeing temps of about 125F - 150F on flat ground and rising up to around 200F on a very long & steep up hill grade over Monteagle pass. So on the road the single new cooler appears to be as efficient as the prior arrangement of the factory plus auxiliary. I did notice that the gauge was more active and the temps would climb faster while pulling a grade, but since the temperature sensor was still prior to the cooler this makes no sense to me. I also noticed that after driving for a while it settled down a little, so all I can figure is that there was air trapped in the cooler.

While off-road driving on the trails we were moving extremely slow with relatively high RPM's (2000 RPM average) and the trans temps stayed right in line. At the end of the day we had a very steep, rocky, muddy up hill climb that took about 10 minutes to make and the trans got up to 200F and my engine coolant temp hit 193F.

My next step is to install a 8" Derale electric fan on the Tru-Cool cooler so I can increase the airflow across the trans cooler during off-road driving. I'm installing an in-line thermostat that comes on at 180F and off at 170F and also wiring the fan to my dash switch so I can override the t-stat and run the fan continuous while off-road.

I also forgot to mention that Tru-Cool coolers are designed to allow the trans proper warm-up due to a by-pass set up designed into the cooler, which was important to me since I was losing the warm-up function that the factory in-radiator cooler provides.

I'll report back as soon as I get more data, but so far it appears that the new cooler will be sufficient for the job. The new radiator gets installed this coming weekend.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Pictures?????
(-:

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, this is all I have so far. The transmission cooler cooling fan thermostat arrived yesterday, fan will be here today. Also received the new transmission pan and radiator. Got the pan drilled and prepped and will have the steel temperature sensor bung tig welded in tomorrow.

Threaded Sensor Bung -

9/16" Hole Drilled -

New Radiator -

Fan T-Stat -

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the fan mounted on the cooler last night -

·
Registered
181 Posts
same radiator I got. I been running mine with new fans at all, for about two months now. I live in West Virginia and the temps around here been 80 to 100. Does not overheat just cruising around. But I also dont have a a/c condenser. I love the radiator its huge and its nice. I also got the built in temp sender radiator cap. Tomorrow its getting a 12 inch flexalite and a 14 inch flexalite high performance fans, controlled by a dakota digital fan controller which I love. Over 4300 cfms with both fans running which is plenty of the motor. Hopefully the 14 inch fan wont run much.

One thing to watch out for is the radiator hoses. I opened up my hood the other day and noticed the top radiator hose that goes onto the radiator was actually getting pushed/coming off. Im guessing it's because of the extreme heat this radiator puts off, and the crappy " piss you off radiator clamps to try to take off, they use these days". I put on the jegs T-bolt hose clamps and it all seems fine now. But I think its worth the money. Ill post pics up once my whole install is completed.

JJC- question for you. What line do you have your inline temp sender in? I installed a temp sender about a year ago, but I just want to make sure I have it in the right one. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,829 Posts
I love that radiator, except I've modified it. I've cut bottom portion out and installed cooling lines for trans. I'll post few pictures soon.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got the trans temp sensor installed in the pan, the temp stays between 125F and 150F on a 90F day.

Also got the new radiator installed, it dropped right in with no modifications needed. I decided to use the 14k GVW cooler I had removed, since it was just laying under my work bench. My fluid now leaves the trans, flow through the 14k GVW cooler, then through the 21k GVW cooler, then through a Magnifine filter before returning to the transmission pan. I have the aux. fan on the 21k GVW cooler and it's wired to a manual switch on my dash and also is operated by an in-line thermostat located on the line leaving the transmission, prior to entering the first cooler. The t-stat is preset for on and 180F and off at 170F. I wired it like this so I can stay ahead of the game while off-road and override the t-stat with my dash switch.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very very nice JJC:tu:
Thanks.

I noticed that the hose connections seemed a little shorter on the new one, so I used worm- drive hose clamps on the radiator side. I'm now wondering if I should have replaced the factory clamps on the engine side of the hoses. If I can spread the factory clamps and cut them off I will, otherwise, I'm not up for draining the radiator again to pull the factory clamps off. I'm thinking that I can keep the clamps forced open with a pair of vise grips, that should give me enough space between the factory clamps and hose to cut them off with a pair of tin snips, then replace with worm-drive clamps.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I love that radiator, except I've modified it. I've cut bottom portion out and installed cooling lines for trans. I'll post few pictures soon.
I'd really like to see what you've done - did you do some sort of write-up on here about this mod?

·
Premium Member
2,829 Posts
Here is what I did: I went to radiator place and asked those guys if they had any bad radiators that I could take transmission cooling part out. They gave me one off lexus is350. I cut bottom portion out on radiator and drilled 2 holes on a side. Installed transmission cooling item and welded new plate. Picture looks a little dirty but you get an idea :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well......I found out the hard way last weekend during the GSMTR event that I didn't allow for enough space between the trans temp sensor and skid plate........soooo......I had the pleasure of removing the new pan and putting my original pan back on :rolleyes:, but this time if something hits the sensor things have gone terribly wrong :)!

·
Registered
186 Posts
same thing.. i just went with the oil cooler for now ..but plan on puthing the trans cooler in after i have the trany rebuilt

[/IMG]

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
So how is the multi trans cooler working for you. My radiator is leaking trans fluid so I am looking into what you did.

Your running a 24,000, and a 14,000 with the fan on the 24,000? Your thermostat is in your trans pan, right?

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So how is the multi trans cooler working for you. My radiator is leaking trans fluid so I am looking into what you did.

Your running a 24,000, and a 14,000 with the fan on the 24,000? Your thermostat is in your trans pan, right?
Nope, the temp sensor for the Autometer gauge is in the pan, the t-stat for the Derale fan is located in the line leaving the transmission going to the first cooler (the hot line leaving the torque convertor).

You can see the t-stat zip tied to the radiator shroud in the picture below.

It was 98F+ this weekend and the transmission pan temp never got above 150F and the engine only got to 193F a few times while sitting in traffic, and then instantly returned to its normal 190F once we started moving. I never heard the aux. fan come on all weekend either, so the leaving temp on the trans must have never hit 180F.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
ordered from summit 8'' fan# der 16008, and in line thermostat #13021. Do I need to order anything else?

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ordered from summit 8'' fan# der 16008, and in line thermostat #13021. Do I need to order anything else?
That should do it, if I remember correctly, the fan came with an in-line fuse and a few different mounting hardware options. May want to run by an auto parts store and gread some 1/4" wire loom and zip ties.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Which in line filter did you use? That is the only part I am waiting on.

And what size hose for all this, 3/8""?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts