Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Prius; and so far I have been taking it to the local dealer for maintenance. They are recommending changing the Transmission fluid every 15 k; I don't think they flush out the system. Of course, Toyota does not recommend changing the transmission fluid this often, merely inspect it. I called another dealer's service department and they were doing the same thing. I'd like to hear from anyone who has an opinion about this. Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have had similar experience with my dealer. Seems when you take it for routine service they look for ways to drain the checkbook. My experience was them advising a $300 coolant change out at 40,000 miles, way below the Toyota recommended 100,000 (or more, I forget). He said it was a required interval (it isn't)! Service is a money maker for the dealer and once they get your car, they try to add on items that cost little to them, but big bucks for us.

More frequent fluid changes can't hurt, but one should not feel pressured or that it is a requirement and that is what many people think when a service advisor "recommends" services.

I now read the service book before I go and tell THEM what I want done.

tom

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Go by Toyota manual on fluid change recommendations, dealears make most of their proffit from SERVICE and hopefully you go with your gut and not your checkbook!! what type fluid does it use? is it a syntheitic and 15K seems a tad early!!

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
GO BY THE WRITTEN MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE< NOT BY THE SERVICE WRITER. 15K for tranny basic service Is Out of line. Period. But if yu want to do it anyway I would be happy to make the extra money.

Any dealer would be happy to sell yu "Peace of mind."
Remember yu purchased peace of mind when yu got your Toyota in the first place. Dealers can be cruel...And they select and search out those customers who appear ignorant.

Yu are not one of those people!! I would challenge any service writer when they look to milk your Check Book. It just might keep them in check, and might keep them just a tad more honest!!!.

Yu might just save that little old lady behind yu coming for an oil change from having to pay $100's of needless work being performed!!

My mom lives in Fl. and Her 04 H/L has been using Mobil 1 since day 1.
She uses An Unanmed Toyota dealer for her changes. They always tell her to change oil at 3K miles. And they want to change her Cabin Air filter at the same time(every 3K) They call her at home and brow beat her and tell her her warranty will be affected. They would even leave intimidating messages on the answering machine. I listened to it and couldn't believe it.
I finally called the dealer directly and spoke to the serv. writer and the owner as well. Sent a letter to TMS and dealer to back up my conversations. They apologized all over the place. And offered free labor on the Oil changes for 30K miles. I would supply the filter and Mobil 1 Oil like always. My next trip down to FL I went with the vehicle and had a nice chat with all concerned and asked for the Record of service. They were caught with their pants down and could not say much.
As much as I would like to mention the dealers name here, I will not. It violates Site rules. But if yu PM me WE could speak better. This dealer should be on a list of "Do Not Go To" or be warned.

I tell her that every 3K miles is excessive based on her driving habits and a waste of $$. She can be very contientious about the car because of how I am about maintenance. She wants to do the right thing. But overkill is just a waste of $.

5-7K is more appropriate. I even say 7K is fine.
Dealers in retirement areas in FL and other places really take full advantage of the elderly. This is true for Most of the Auto industry as a whole.

Sorry for the rant.
Goodluck.

:)
LifeTech

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2006 Prius; and so far I have been taking it to the local dealer for maintenance. They are recommending changing the Transmission fluid every 15 k; I don't think they flush out the system. Of course, Toyota does not recommend changing the transmission fluid this often, merely inspect it. I called another dealer's service department and they were doing the same thing. .....snip....
There is no transmission which = no transmission fluid change! That is, technically, Prius really doesn’t have a transmission since nothing ever shifts. There are no gears to engage/disengage. There are only power-carriers. All they do is rotate, and they are 'permanently' engaged. The HSD power carrier unit operates much like a smart, coputer controlled differential.

HSD Planet/Sun Power Carrier

Scroll to the end of the article for the Engine/CVT .jpeg. It is a remarkably small, compact unit.

Denny

·
Registered
5 Posts
Followup to my prevous post; a better image of the guts of the Power Split Device (the means to achieve CVT performance w/o a xmission).

Planetary Gear set

If the PSD doesn't display immediately scroll down a bit.

Denny

·
Registered
3 Posts
I asked about this at my dealership and was informed that the Prius has a sealed transmission - no fluid to be changed and, in fact, no means of even checking it!

Did they change something in the 2006 CVT? Is it now an open system?

·
Registered
217 Posts
whenyou open your hood you'll see a resevoir next to the engine. It sits on top of the Power Split Device mentioned by Seawolf34. It carries the coolant for the PSD.

There is no traditional transmission just the PSD. According to everything I've read online and in speaking with our Gen Service Mgr ( Prius Master Mechanic ) this coolant uses a long-lsting formulation which only needs to be changed every 100K or so. Changing it at 75K wouldn't hurt if you so desire.

One of the things to check apparently is that the system be fully drained and fully refilled. They attach clamps to the sides of the car and turn it upside down to shake out the last drop of the old coolant :)eek: j/k ). I'd recommend that someone very versed in doing the coolant swap actually do the work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Do your own service and follow the intervals recommended by Toyota. For what you are paying the dealership to change your oil, you could be saving money by doing it yourself and using much better oil (synthetic) than what the dealership will use.

The way the Prius is built, changing the oil is very easy. Invest in a pair of ramps ($30), a good oil catch pan ($5) and an oil filter wrench ($5) and you never have to worry about dealing with the dealership again for routine service.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I change the engine oil at 3000 mile or 3 months which ever comes first. The transaxile is required at 100K, but other users strongly suggested at 60K. I have no problems at 106k without a change (it will be performed very shortly).

The attached link shows a discussion I found amoung diehard prius users and mechanics which sheds some technichal parmeters and specifications to those of interest in engineering details such as viscusity and molucular break dowm, etc....

Yahoo! Answers - Search

I think the dealer is trying to upgrade (oversell) their services. The best way out is by helping each other as owners and learning the facts from myths and arm twisting sales tactics.

If one likes to learn more about the Prius, one may probably want a subscription to:
1. http://techinfo.toyota.com/ (US and maybe Canada)
Toyota Publications... (Europe/UK and maybe Australia)
where if you have the patience, a credit card, and a fast Internet connection, one can download the repair manuals, electrical wiring diagrams, etc. as much as you want within your subscription window.

You may also want to read through the Toyota technician training courses for the Prius at:
http://www.autoshop101.com/autoshop15.ht...

Visit links of interest for a repair technician available at:
toyo : socios

Good luck,
Km

·
Registered
4 Posts
I change the engine oil at 3000 mile or 3 months which ever comes first. The transaxile is required at 100K, but other users strongly suggested at 60K. I have no problems at 106k without a change (it will be performed very shortly).

The attached link shows a discussion I found among die-hard Prius users and mechanics which sheds some technichal parmeters and specifications to those of interest in engineering details such as viscusity and molucular break dowm, etc....

Yahoo! Answers - Search

I think the dealer is trying to upgrade (oversell) their services. The best way out is by helping each other as owners and learning the facts from myths and arm twisting sales tactics.

If one likes to learn more about the Prius, one may probably want a subscription to:
where if you have the patience, a credit card, and a fast Internet connection, one can download the repair manuals, electrical wiring diagrams, etc. as much as you want within your subscription window.

You may also want to read through the Toyota technician training courses for the Prius at:

Good luck,
Km

·
Registered
4 Posts

The attached link shows a discussion I found among die hard prius users and mechanics which sheds some technical parameters and specifications to those of interest in engineering details such as viscosity and molecular break down, etc....

Yahoo! Answers - Search

Good luck,
Km

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
whenyou open your hood you'll see a resevoir next to the engine. It sits on top of the Power Split Device mentioned by Seawolf34. It carries the coolant for the PSD.

There is no traditional transmission just the PSD. According to everything I've read online and in speaking with our Gen Service Mgr ( Prius Master Mechanic ) this coolant uses a long-lsting formulation which only needs to be changed every 100K or so. Changing it at 75K wouldn't hurt if you so desire.

One of the things to check apparently is that the system be fully drained and fully refilled. They attach clamps to the sides of the car and turn it upside down to shake out the last drop of the old coolant :)eek: j/k ). I'd recommend that someone very versed in doing the coolant swap actually do the work.
What kind of nonsense service are yu describing. Rotating the vehicle upside down?????????????????????????

Not everyone here is an idiot !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LT

·
Registered
1 Posts
I asked about this at my dealership and was informed that the Prius has a sealed transmission - no fluid to be changed and, in fact, no means of even checking it!

Did they change something in the 2006 CVT? Is it now an open system?
I also have a 2001 Prius with 117,000 miles and now I read that no fluid to be changed. I'm confused now. My Toyota dealer says that the tranmission fluid needs to be changed at 100,000 miles. Am I getting jerked around by the dealer? Steve

1 - 15 of 15 Posts