Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read the transmission flush DIY and have a couple of questions. I'm leery of the idea of several steps of pumping 2 quarts out and then adding 2 quarts in. Since I don't know the actual path of the fluid I can just imagine that the pump out phase is simply removing the 2 new quarts I just added instead of old fluid.

If someone could explain the route the fluid takes through the transmission I would feel a lot more confident about the procedure.

Does the pump send the fluid to the torque converter first before the fluid travels to the cooler? Or does it pump the fluid to multiple locations at the same time? Where else does the fluid travel besides the converter, cooler, and pan?

Thanks,
Kennon

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
As you add the new ATF it circulates through the transmission and torque converter and goes to the cooler last before returning to the transmission to begin the cycle all over again. Don't worry about immediately losing the two fresh quarts of ATF.

I can't say what the transit time of those first two fresh quarts might be considering the time spent in the transmission and converter but it will take a while to reach the cooler. If memory serves me correctly there's approximately sixteen quarts in the system and those first two quarts will eventually begin reaching the cooler after you've added the final fresh two quarts.

I've done the DIY flush several times and it's easy, just pay attention to details and follow the correct sequence and you'll be fine. As you continue to add new ATF and pump out the old ATF you'll see the fluid start to lighten up as the old fluid is gradually expelled.

While you're at it add a Magnefine filter in the return line to catch any debris that gets past the stock filter. Check my gallery for Magnefine filter.

Others may have additional comments/corrections but that's my observation on the question.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
No idea on the route this fluid takes but towing is covered under severe conditions which Toyota says the ATF should be changed every 30K miles. Where i live there are nothing but severe conditions even if you never tow! I would say just let the Dealership flush it for you and make sure they just do not do the 3 or 4 qt drain. Flush replaces the whole system and is easier on your model truck and will cost less than say a 06 model! Lotta folks have used the DIY without any issues and it's pretty well documented plus if ya have issues folks are always around to help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts