Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 03 Sequoia with almost 70K miles. I have noticed lately that when I change gears from a stopped position, there is a lot of noise from underneath the car. When I change from reverse to drive or drive to reverse, a loud noise from around the rear axle is apparent. I'm not sure if I'm low on any fluid or grease. Does anyone else have this problem or know what to do to fix it? Thanks

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
I've got an 03 Sequoia with almost 70K miles. I have noticed lately that when I change gears from a stopped position, there is a lot of noise from underneath the car. When I change from reverse to drive or drive to reverse, a loud noise from around the rear axle is apparent. I'm not sure if I'm low on any fluid or grease. Does anyone else have this problem or know what to do to fix it? Thanks
Sounds like your U-Joints are bad or it could be something in the rear but I bet it's just some bad U-Joints. I would get it fixed ASAP you don't want to throw your driveshaft out of wack. Let us know if that was the problem and if not what it was. I don't think there's anything wrong with your transmission at all. Johnnnny

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Johnny. Do you think it could be anything in the brake system? Maybe my calipers screeching/moving as I change gears? Because I noticed that it makes the same noise as I let off of the brakes from a stopped position?

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Thanks Johnny. Do you think it could be anything in the brake system? Maybe my calipers screeching/moving as I change gears? Because I noticed that it makes the same noise as I let off of the brakes from a stopped position?
Well, Without hearing it I am not sure. But try this, Put your foot firmly on the brake pedal and don't take you foot off the brake. Then put the truck in drive wait a two or three seconds and then put it in reverce. Try that a few times and listen and if you hear that sound it's your U-Joints if it don't make the sound it's NOT your U-Joints. Johnnnny

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Toyota Parts and Service go to this link and see what service you have not done since vehicle was new by clicking on the next button where ya change mileage and view the different requirements !! if it is a 4x4 ya need to lube drive train, change fluids in the differentials front and rear,Transmission, and tranfer case. sometimes the CV Joints will make loud popping sounds if the CV Boots have cracked and lost their lube! very noticeable by fluid leaking from boots! and the loud pop!!:) whatever ya do do not take it to a quick lube place they are clueless!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts