Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A month ago i went to change tranny oil. Did the complete flush with 15Q of Valvoline 75K high mileage ATF (red jug). Took the filter and pan off and cleaned out. Now couple things i found:
1 silvery shavings in the pan with couple chunks size 2mmx2mmx1.5mm or so.
2 "hair balls" inside filter. They looked like little hairballs 1/8" to 1/4" in diameter
3 metallic shavings very fine like graphite lube stuck onto the magnets

My concern is the silvery shavings and the hairballs. Hairballs i assumed were worn clutch discs. The little chunks i didn't like at all.

I have the truck for almost a year (01 4x4 V8 180K miles) What looked weird is that tranny was shinier than the engine, and transfer case looked like new (me think tranny was replaced and transfer case 100% not original).

There are no weird noises or anything. Everything works bjutiful, just wanted so opinions on it from those who know more than me. Thanks in advance. BTW

·
Registered
156 Posts
You will probably get various opinions on the condition of your tranny based on those pictures from that is normal all the way to it will explode tomorrow.

Based on what I see and the fact that it operates normally, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. I have seen far more metal in tranny pans including mine and continued to get years of service after the discovery of much more metal prior to failure.

The 2000 - 2002 trannys are notorious for having O.D. planetary failures. Many O.D. failures give plenty of warning by growling, vibrating, and eventually grinding in 4th gear. I share your opinion that the most concerning discovery in the pan is the metal chunks. I think the fine metal and clutch dust are pretty normal.

Was there only two magnets in your pan? I think that they normally have four. I also noticed that there was a cork type pan gasket. The trannys come from the factory without a gasket and just an RTV type sealant. Bottom line, the pan has been off before. That could be good news and indicate that it has been serviced prior to your purchase.

Good luck and hopefully your truck will continue to give you many more miles of trouble free service. I would continue to keep up on your fluid changes and drop the pan occasionally to see if it is making more metal and pay close attention for odd shifts and vibrations especially in O.D.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The cork gasket was funny. Also there were some red RTV left on the pan from previous pan removals(not by me). I just reused cork gasket. i have 4 magnets, two were off for cleaning. Thats nothing - i had greenish oil come out from rear diff (with some frogs), transfer case oil was like new(transfer case looks new itself), steering rack has been changed, but there is some sort of clunk in steering when going over bump at full lock. All the fluids are changed to new one's after i bought it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts