Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's Sequoia will not stay running when put into gear. The truck will start and idle fine, but once you put it in gear the truck stalls. Does this in any gear selected. There is light metal shavings in the fluid. Had the truck in neutral, left my foot off the brake and dropped it into neutral. The truck lurched forward 6 feet but finally died. You can tell that it feels as if something is dragging and bogging the engine down until it stalls. Toyota dealer believes it might be the torque converter stuck in either the locked or open position. They said to try to power brake the truck, rev the motor and drop it in gear to see if it will go. Tried to no avail. No signs and symptoms up to this point. Another mechanic believes the tranny is toast. Anyone heard or seen anything like this? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Brian

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Wow! That sucks! I haven't seen this before...but it does sound like a torque converter issue??

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife also had an 01 and had the same issues....and I was thinking the same thing. Luckily I've got a good shop to go to. They handed me a can of intake cleaner, think some also call it a throttle body cleaner. Pull off your air intake tube right where it meets the throttle body and spray in while running I believe, I just followed the directions on the can...You'll kick on your service engine lights since you disconnect a few things but they reset themselves. It was a fast easy fix to a very annoying problem...when she tried to pull out from a stop sign and it died on her in cross traffic I said enough. Hopefully it works for you, let me know!

·
Registered
1 Posts
so i have the same problem..2001 toyota tundra.. starts and idles in park just fine.. jumps and dies in any gear.. to avoid getting a tow truck, i revved in neutral and slammed into drive and made it fifteen miles to my house.. just had to drop into neutral at lights, turns and intersections.. my mechanic thinks torque converter.. toyota dealership wants my left arm and leg for this new torque converter, anybody know where i can get a better price for one??? or any suggestions

·
Registered
218 Posts
how many miles on the Sequoia (and Tundra) and when was it last serviced? I would try what Shorte01 said first to see if that does anything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts