Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hae a 2002 Tundra extended cab with the V6 with 55,000 miles. I purchased it new and for the first couple of years I towed a small bass boat in Oklahoma (very flat). Anyway, just a couple of weeks ago the transmission began slipping. When excelerating from a stop it there will sometimes be a loud banging noise when it shifts to a lower gear.

It does not happen all the time and it seems to happen more often when the truck is cold. Transmission fluid level was fine, but since it had never been changed, I had a local shop drain and refill the transmission and for good measure, the coolant.

Any ideas on what could be the cause? Someone suggested it could be in the rear, not the transmission. I was just hoping for some direction here. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Cigar_stub

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
So what transmission fluid was installed and what does your manual call for and do you think someone could have installed wrong type fluid? or even added to existing fluid a wrong type? this will cause that type of problem. go to main TS page and go to engine and transmission forum and read some post their and you can get the real info on mixing T1 & TIV with say a DXII, and all the people that say the amsoil universal Syn ATF can be used where ya use type WS are sadly mistaken. they need to go to amsoil website and read that it can be used in place of TI & TIV but not mixed! and it specifally states only those two types is the ONLY ones it can be substituted for so do not use it if your manual says WS ATF unless you want severe transmission issues!! If your that brand loyal their is no help but an expensive lesson eventually!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input, but since the transmission was doing the same thing before the fluid change as after I have a hard time believing the problem is associated with either the wrong fluid or a mix of fluids.

Perhaps a new Highlander, which is what my wife wants me to do, will correct the problem....<grin>

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
So how many miles does this truck have on it and how many miles did the fluid have on it before ya changed it? was it a full flush, or the 4 quarts now and 4 quarts later till you got to your 15 qt quota? ya might wanta check on TSB for transmission on this truck if you only have 45k on it power train warranty is 60K miles i think!! i think the transmission should still be under warranty if it is in the 60K power train warranty which i think it is, maybe you can get a dealer to hook you up cause the reccomended fluid change is 60K also i believe, just do not tell them you pulled a boat!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts