Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2001 Tundra has less than 60K miles. I mostly drive it on long trips. Intermittently, when I start driving and put it in D the transmission slips. The engine revs and the truck moves slightly but only slight acceleration. It seems like the transmission is not going into L to start but staying in a high gear. If I shift to L, it starts off fine and strong and then I can shift into 2 and D. After I drive for a minute or two it works fine. I noticed that the light for D in the shift indicator is not as bright as for 2 or L.

Could this be an electrical problem?

I also noticed that other forum posts talk about replacing the valve body? Could that be a fix for this.

The truck runs fine most of the time but the initial shifting problem is a little annoying.

I'd appreciate any help or ideas.

Thank you.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, tried to give points, but it said spread it around, so i must have hooked you up, before.
but thanks for the product.
i wonder how a o5/06 would add it since we don't have a filler tube?
dumbest idea toyota ever did.
sorry,
gorilla

·
Super Moderator
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,562 Posts
hi, tried to give points, but it said spread it around, so i must have hooked you up, before.
but thanks for the product.
i wonder how a o5/06 would add it since we don't have a filler tube?
dumbest idea toyota ever did.
sorry,
gorilla
Hey Gorilla~

You only need about 6-8oz for the application, so you could probably suck it up in a turkey baster and squirt it in the fill hole.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Turkey basters are too clumsy IMO. Buy a large syringe from a feed store or farm/tractor supply store. They are better suckers and much cleaner and easier to use for hard to reach fill holes. 6 ozs of ARX is all you need.

Can you do a full ATF flush with a tranny without a dipstick?

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, i got in touch with eld from that company.
now anyone know how to get this stuff in our tranny?
i have a 05 & it doesn't have a filler tube nor a dip stick.
he said go through the line.
well i'd have to bring it in for service for that.
i also would think i should change the fluid while i'm at it, right?
gorilla

·
Registered
606 Posts
Gorilla- No need to change the fluid until after you drive 1-3K miles with the ARX added, assuming that your current fill isn't toast already. I really don't know how the "sealed" tranny is set up. There must be a fill/drain plug setup somewhere on the tranny though. Having the dealership do the flush afterwards is OK I think. But try to verify that they actually did the full flush. Do you know if the tranny has a real filter, or just a screen mesh rock catcher? If it has a real filter, then do the flush and then change the filter...then top it off.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Also, for those that have never used Auto-Rx, it is a blend of 3 esters. These esters have different physical characteristics. For best results I recommend heating the product in the bottle either by letting it sit out in the sun for awhile, or letting it sit in some very hot tap water for awhile. Then shake it vigorously before you measure the amount you want to apply to your equipment. Then drive the already warm vehicle a few miles to get it mixed in well with the host oil (ATF, engine, diff, t-case, PS, etc.). Although this product is one of the most amazing things I've ever encountered, I think summertime is the best time to use it. I say this because ARX works best when the fluids are hot.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm not sure if I missed this in the instructions but, should you do a complete flush after using this or can you get by with just drain and fill after using it?

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hio, sent points :D
thankyou... 100x over:tu::tu::tu::tu::tu::tu::tu::tu:
gorilla
p.s. the owner of RX posted my question on his forum. i just can't find it, as usual. LOL
sad isn't it.

Hey Gorilla~

You only need about 6-8oz for the application, so you could probably suck it up in a turkey baster and squirt it in the fill hole.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,562 Posts
I'm not sure if I missed this in the instructions but, should you do a complete flush after using this or can you get by with just drain and fill after using it?
A flush is recommended, but I simply did a sequence of drain/fills with Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. I felt comfortable doing this as 1. I have a Magnefine inline filter installed, and 2. my dealer's transmission service pricing is highway robbery.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, i'm going out to look right now.
thankyou all
gorilla

Gorilla- No need to change the fluid until after you drive 1-3K miles with the ARX added, assuming that your current fill isn't toast already. I really don't know how the "sealed" tranny is set up. There must be a fill/drain plug setup somewhere on the tranny though. Having the dealership do the flush afterwards is OK I think. But try to verify that they actually did the full flush. Do you know if the tranny has a real filter, or just a screen mesh rock catcher? If it has a real filter, then do the flush and then change the filter...then top it off.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi REMMY,
i just got under my truck. i looked i can not find a filler plug.
there looks like a plug at the top, it's round with a extra peice i assume to assist you to open it. if thats it.
it's tight as can be. i didn't want to force it.
other than that, i don't see anything.
i also found the info on what tranny i have. there is a sticker on the right side, almost at the top.
gorilla

·
Registered
115 Posts
A flush is recommended, but I simply did a sequence of drain/fills with Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. I felt comfortable doing this as 1. I have a Magnefine inline filter installed, and 2. my dealer's transmission service pricing is highway robbery.
Thanks for the insight. I'll have to call the dealer and see what they want for a flush, then make a final decision about flushing vs draining. From what I've read on here though, flushes can have unwanted side effects. Plus, I'm not really sure if my tranny has ever been flushed (@ 75k).

1 - 20 of 39 Posts