Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the 03-04 Tranny will swap into 00 model Tundra? I have searched and all that is mentioned is the 2wd trucks. My 00 is a 4wd. Would like to swap a 03 or 04 into it but need to know if it will work. Salvage Yard says it will not. Any help ? Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Someone on this forum did that swap. All you have to do is swap out the tail housing. I wish I knew that when I replaced my transmission.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great, Maybe they will chime in and let me know for sure. Dont want to get one and find out it wont work. I not sure they take used parts back at salvage yards. Thanks

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
There is no tail housing swap issue with the 4wd, salvage yard will say "no" as the interchange system says so, but the reality is it goes right in. Our 2000 4.7 4x4 Tundra says so!:tu: Scott

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got Trans out today here are a few Pics. Think I am going to try a used Trans out of an 04 Tundra. Found one for $600. 78k on it. Hope it will work. Thanks again

Attachments

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Nice work, make sure to check out the rear trans. mount too while you are there, mine had the rubber completely pulled away from the steel backing.I was able to seat the torque converter into the socket hole in the crankshaft and then rotate the t/c to get the bolt holes lined up, start all the t/c bolts in before you tighten any (trust me, I had to go back and loosen some) You should be back in business in no time. Scott :tu:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, Any advice own going back in ? Right now looking at blowing out coolant lines, swapping tranfer case, Repairing the exhaust stud I broke off, filling with fluid. By the way, I should do a flush once installed, right ? Thanks Again

·
Registered
245 Posts
i would flush all the lines like I did before you reinstall the trans to make sure there is no debris in the system that you could suck back into the new tranny when you start it up. And probably change the filter before you start refilling all the fluid.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
I purchased a cheap "trans jack adapter" for my floor jack, it replaces the "saddle" with a flat plate with four adjustable stops at the corners that can be used to hold the trans. by the pan and lift it into place it was cheap and made the job doable alone. I left the pan drop and filter swap until the trans. was up in the truck. Definitely follow "ctateusa's" suggestion about making sure to clear the lines and cooler if equipped before you push nasties into your replacement trans. I replaced the lines with new, removed the cooler and installer a larger aftermarket cooler ahead of the radiator (was planning on towing but have not, yet) also found a Full synthetic Valvoline trans. fluid for about $20 gallon at the local Autozone, it seemed to meet just about all the fluid specs. out there. Good Luck. Scott

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Will let you know by the first of the week. 04 Tranny was delivered today. I have looked it over and it seems to be identical. I will replace TC seal and Transfer Case input seal,4wd, and bolt on transfer case. All electrical looks the same. And get this, I was able to talk the yard down to $500. He said it had been on the shelf a while and had 27k Miles. Could not believe it. Yard was about 25 miles away so he delivered it no chg. Anyway problem now is getting the 2 exhaust studs I broke repaired. Tried to drill one today and it is really hard. Going for new bits tomorrow. Thanks

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
I had exhaust bits broken too (5 of them) so i took a expensive 1/16 bit and made hole and then went with correct size for tapping threads. Its so much easier this way. Juat make sure you get small diameter but really good bit as the big one's don't bite in.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here are a few more pics. Son got creative on flushing cooler ! While I installed TC seal. Does anyone have torque spec on TC to flywheel bolts ? Lineup on these bolts was a pain. Replacment 04 tundra trans is now in truck and lined up nice. Waiting on transfer case input seal from toyota Parts. They say Tuesday. Will post results of 04 Tundra trans install in a 00 Tundra. Thanks
IMG_3264.jpg

IMG_3271.JPG

IMG_3272.jpg

IMG_3273.JPG

IMG_3270.jpg

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Did some checking on my old invoices from when I did trans. swap on our 2000, salvage yard slip had a VIN for the trans. I installed, as per Toyota VIN check it was a 2004 model (that never got the ball joint recall done!) so I can confirm '04 to ',V8 4x4 swap is trouble free (6,000 miles on it so far, no codes/ issues) Scott

·
Registered
156 Posts
I can also comfirm the 2003/2004 V8 4X4 Transmission will bolt up/plug in to a 2000 without any modifications. I just swapped my 2000 tranny for a 2004 last week. After reading other posts, it sounds like only the 2003/2004 2WD transmissions have to be modified by swapping the tail shaft to work in the 2000 - 2002 Tundras.

I found a 2004 tranny with 48K (supposedly) for $600. Overdrive was on its way out on my 2000 with 105K. I know, big surprise. At least I had plenty of warning. I dropped the pan on mine a few years back and all the magents were covered with pretty large pieces/chunks of metal. I took the metal debris to a local tranny shop and the technician was suprised that my truck was still mobile when he saw the chunks. Being a cheapskate, I decided to drive the truck until I started to have driveabilty issues. Over the past couple of years O.D. has started to hum, then vibrate, then growl, and finally started to grind. I left it out of O.D. for the last month or so and had no issues in 1 - 3. When I found a good deal on a 2004 tranny, I went ahead and pulled the trigger.

Swapping the tranny on the 4WD was an all day event for me and I had help and air. I started at 0700 and didn't wrap up until 1900. The simple things ended up slowing me down. I think it took me an hour just to unplug the electrical connectors due to all the mud jammed in the releases. I killed another hour just pulling the dipstick tube apart. No special tools, other than a transmission adapter for the floor jack. I turned the crank bolt to get the torque converter bolts out and it helped to have someone hold the crank bolt to break the converter bolts loose. There is not much room to get the converter bolts out on the 4WD due to the front differential. I managed to break the vacuum tube off the front differential actuator. I did not remove the exhaust, although it would have given me more room. I was able to get to the top two bell housing bolts from the top and the engine tilted down enough with the exhaust attached to get them from the bottom (with a few long extensions) after you remove the cross member.

I think it actually went together quicker than it came apart. I dropped the tranny and tranfer case together but installed them one at a time mostly due to the weight of the combined unit. Definitely flush out the cooler lines as others have mentioned and don't forget to use a fluid compatible with the 2003/2004 transmission. You will probably have to put close to ten quarts in depending on how much is in the torque converter when you install it.

Good luck

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good info runaway, Do you remember torque in bolts in torque converter ? I am replacing transmission and transfer case seperatly as well. Steve

·
Registered
156 Posts
The Haynes Manual lists:

30 FT-LBS for the flywheel to torque converter bolts, and
53 FT-LBS for the transmission to engine bolts

30 seems kind of low to me so you might want to double check that figure. I have to admit that I didn't use a torque wrench. I always stop a quarter turn before the bolt breaks :), yeah right.

·
Registered
113 Posts
What is he using to flush the cooler? I can't really make it out in the pictures

1 - 20 of 29 Posts