Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking on-line for accessories, I came across a listing for 22" x 9" TRD alloy wheels for the 2007 Tundra - $559 (toyotapartsmall).

Although I can't imagine why you would want that tall of an off-road wheel, I'm sure somebody here will be dying to get some.

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
Looking on-line for accessories, I came across a listing for 22" x 9" TRD alloy wheels for the 2007 Tundra - $559 (toyotapartsmall).

Although I can't imagine why you would want that tall of an off-road wheel, I'm sure somebody here will be dying to get some.
I've got the 18" TRD wheels on my truck and love the look. I would not mind going to a 20" wheel, but 22" wheels are a little to extreme for my tastes. This is what I like:tu:

Attachments

·
Registered
357 Posts

I would think it is considered a street wheel and not built as an off road wheel.

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
I would think it is considered a street wheel and not built as an off road wheel.
Right, TRD stands for Toyota Racing Development.

Performance parts for Toyota vehicals ON and/or OFFROAD.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right, TRD stands for Toyota Racing Development.

Performance parts for Toyota vehicals ON and/or OFFROAD.
I'm sure you are right - ON road. My brain defaulted to off-road. But it's probably also a stretch to say that these wheels are the right choice for any kind of racing.

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
I'm sure you are right - ON road. My brain defaulted to off-road. But it's probably also a stretch to say that these wheels are the right choice for any kind of racing.
They will race the money right out of your wallet.:D :tu:

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Yeah, Toyota is officially nuts if they think they can sell them for $600+. Also, this is just for future reference, if anybody pays that for them, theyre nuts also. Hell, you can get a custom billet for around that price. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
159 Posts
You want more rubber...not more wheel, especially if going for an off road look or God Forbid actually going Off Road.

Ideally 17" wheels and no smaller than 35" rubber...20" wheels and 35" A/T rubber looks totally poseur.

SIDEWALL is Your Friend. Don't get sucked up in the ghey Big Wheel Fad...it's for the Starbuck Yuppie Escalade crowd.

I found this pic on another site but it illustrates the point well.

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GoodCop, I really liked your pic - lipstick vs utility knife!

I agree that sidewall is your truck's friend. My old truck had 16's, but we might actually need the 18's to fit over our front brakes now.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I think 20's with 35's look good, it's a perfect amount of sidewall for someone who uses there truck as a daily driver and does ocasional offroad adventure. it allows flex in the sidewall for off-road but with enough stability to keep good traction on road. with a 20" rim and a 35" tire that leaves 7.5" of sidewall wich I think looks good! each person has there own thoughts but 22's is too much unless you got something like a 44" super swamper.

·
Banned
159 Posts
Not a fan of 20's w/35"'s, especially w/an A/T or M/T tire. Not nearly enough rubber for an off road look. 20's w/a 40" tire is a different story.

20 and 22 wheels are good for a Pavement Princess but personally I wouldn't put larger than 18" wheels on 35's if going for an off road look.

·
Registered
832 Posts
18's and 35's look great. 20's and 37's look ok.

·
Banned
159 Posts
Yup...18's with 35" rubber is the way to go.

I really wish the Big Wheel trend would die. Everytime I see the new Escalade w/the big ghey 22"'s I throw up in my mouth. The sad part is that these guys actually think they look cool running around on rubber band rubber.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Hey Guys, remember...To each his own. Our tastes run torward off road. Some groups like different styles and set ups for their vehicles. Look at the street guys that take Honda Civics and turn them into noisy little bullets with coffee can exhaust, HID lights, neon under the car and rubber so thin it is maybe 1" thick. The urban look is another big group. Lowered, huge bug rims, chrome everywhere, custom interiors, thumpin' bass. If a person buys an Escalade or a Navigator and wants to customize it how is that any different than one of us adding a lift, tires and rims, bull bar, off road lights, exhaust, bed liner, hitch, window tint, painted brake calipers, running boards/tube steps, speakers, monitors in the headrests, ect? No different.

Would I lower my truck? Never. Would I put 22" chrome wheels on it? No. I am not one to spent lots of $$ on show items. I don't care to have to maintain extra chrome, electronics, or modify the vehicle to perform well in only one way. I read the posts and some forum members are spending thousands of dollars on exhaust, wheels, rims, tires, stereos, DVD, lift kits and shocks. I really like the pics of the finished projects. Some look much better than stock. Some look about the same to me.

Long post to ask folks to be less critical of "the other guys." We don't like them bashing us. So perhaps we should lighten up too. Enjoy your truck for the reasons you bought it. Big wheels or small. Stock exhaust or a full blown after market set up. It really is all about you.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Im planning to lower mine and put some 20/22s on it. It just doesnt bother me to hear people talk bad about it. You know, thats why im doing it to my truck and not theirs. :D :tu:

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Some are saying 20's look bad on 35's and it doesn't satisfy the off-road look? Who said they were going for the off-road look? I have 18's on 35's on my truck but 22's on 40's on the megacab and it looks pretty bad *** if you ask me. Today on Extreme 4x4 they put 22's on 41inch iroks on the 2008 superduty and it ooked pretty bad a$$! To each his own...different strokes for different folks ;)

·
Banned
159 Posts
I have no problem if the truck has 20's or 22's w/40" tires.

I guess I just grew up in a different era but seeing 20" or 22" wheels and 35" A/T or God Forbid, M/T tires just looks strange in a bad way; there's no meat. Seems like everyone around here has massive wheels that just keep getting bigger every year and little rubber bands wrapping them.

I don't know why it bothers me but it does. I think it says something about the way our society is going; people want bigger wheels as a status symbol and the rubber, which is the really important part, becomes secondary to the flash.

The trend has hit here in a big way.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I have no problem if the truck has 20's or 22's w/40" tires.

I guess I just grew up in a different era but seeing 20" or 22" wheels and 35" A/T or God Forbid, M/T tires just looks strange in a bad way; there's no meat. Seems like everyone around here has massive wheels that just keep getting bigger every year and little rubber bands wrapping them.

I don't know why it bothers me but it does. I think it says something about the way our society is going; people want bigger wheels as a status symbol and the rubber, which is the really important part, becomes secondary to the flash.

The trend has hit here in a big way.
The first hummer looks bad a$$ with those wheels and beefy tires but the second one looks like absolute sh!t

1 - 18 of 18 Posts