Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering the best option for beefing up the rear end on my '06 4X4 TRD. I was going for Air Ride bags to allow adjustments, but Air Ride says they do not make a kit for the TRD. I pull a trailer occasionally with about 400 lbs tongue weight and the rear end drops 6 or so inches. Would anybody out there have a recommendation for an air bag system that would give some temporary lift?

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'm not sure if there is a difference with TRD, but I was considering air bags for my 01 when I re-did my leaf springs and shocks. It appears to be easy to install air bags, even universal ones. You can remove the bump stop and use the perch directly above it to mount the air bag. I went with the cheap $26 helper springs from Advance Auto and installed them on the back side of the leaf springs. I'm using their "1500 lbs" setting, but I had them my 90 Mazda B2600 and they worked great!!! No maintenace, easy 20 minute install and never had to worry about them again. Also the truck doesn't lean as much in turns.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks--maybe Air Ride had it wrong. They said the Billstein shock mounts interfered with their setup. Googling got me to JC Whitney who listed Air Ride products. Their on-line "tech" swears the model listed would work.
Just for fun, I checked with Firestone and was advised they had none that would fit. A mechanic friend suggested the Air Ride over the Firestone anyway due to the heavier weight of the bladders.
I appreciate your suggestion. For the cost difference ($200 vs. $26), I'll check out the helper springs.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I have a 2000 TRD 4x4 with firestone bags. They don't mount where the bump stops are and they work fantastic. Not sure if your year is the same but the Firestones fit mine just fine.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
I have the firestone bags in my 2006 ltd double cab with TRD, they fit and function great. There is no difference that I know about with the regular shocks and the bilsteins. They fit exactly the same and mount exactly the same. I could take some pics this week if you would like to see the firestones in place.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
I just put the air ride bags on my 2005 Double Cab TRD. What air ride states is that it doesn't work with 18' wheels which I'm sure you dont have. They are easy to put on and work great. I purchased from Amazon.com for $184 but now they are on sale for $158 with free shipping.
Here is the part number: AIR LIFT 59530 Ride Control Rear Air Spring Kit

Good Luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Has anyone got more info on this? I've got the double cab 4wd model and no one, not even firestone or air ride can get me a straight answer. Possible rubbing on the tires?

If anyone has any photos I'd love to see them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have the Firestone 2245 airbags on my 2005 Tundra TRD SR5 4x4 D-cab as well as the 3 leaf AAL from Wheeler's Offroad. I run LT 265/75R16 Michelin LTX, no problems. I had them for at least 8 years, no leaks. As far as towing goes, i have a 28ft travel trailer, a 16ft flatbed and a 10ft enclosed trailer. I installed 2 valves next to the receiver tube on the truck, and use a hand pump to air them up to the required height. Keep it simple!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts