Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the TRD aluminum skid plate on my 2019 TRD Sport a few weeks ago and I regret doing it. I found it online for about $300 which was a good price. I am disappointed in size of the hole where the tow hooks are (it's going to let a ton of snow/salt/ice come in) and I'm not a fan of the back edge. It hangs down a lot and is very noticable. For $300 I have a lot of buyer's remorse - when Spring comes I might put the steel one back on.

I put the TRD skid plate on my 4Runner and was happy with it but the one for the Sequoia is a bit of a joke.

Ignore all the yellow snot in the pictures. I Wool Wax'ed the under carriage to keep it from rusting.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Yup, that does look kinda welfare. At least you were good enough to say so and warn others who might consider the same. And you have brains enough to rust proof your stuff which is more than can be said for quite a few people. I like the guys who live in the rust belt, drive 15 year old vehicles, and get mad when they rust.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the report. I was thinking switch the skid plate to the TRD version just for the special port for easier access for oil change. I guess now I have to reconsider it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This doesn’t look to be installed correctly, or maybe you got the wrong skid plate. I bought a 2019 Tundra TRD pro plate (new takeoff) and put it on my 08 sequoia. It bolts under the tow hooks and doesn’t hang down at all in the back. The back spacers went through the frame if I remember correctly. I’ll take some pics tomorrow if it isn’t raining. Overall, I am very impressed with the figment and quality of mine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah, I don’t know about that one! This is the one I installed, I HIGHLY recommend it! This may be what you were after from the beginning. Check local CL and FB marketplace for Tundra TRD pro owners who are selling theirs since they don’t fit a jacked up truck. Btw, I can still take pics tomorrow if you want, but clearly we are comparing apples to oranges.
DACF6872-61A5-47D8-98F9-BDEFEF02CB99.png

·
Registered
487 Posts
I had the dealer pull the part number for me based on my VIN, so I'm pretty sure it is the right one. I'm pretty sure the spacers can't slide anymore into the frame but I'll check this weekend when it warms up.

Mine looks nothing like yours. Mine looks like the one on page 4 of the Toyota accessories catalog. https://www.toyota.com/content/ebrochure/2019/2019 Sequoia Accessory eBrochure.pdf
As others said, you have one of the thin, stamped-aluminum "cosmetic" Toyota accessories, not the real TRD Pro skid plate. Get the proper one that is 1/4 inch thick aluminum if you want any real protection. See:
TRD Pro Skid Plate

1 - 10 of 10 Posts