Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I installed both the TRD CAI and TRD Cat-Back performance items on my 2015 Tundra Limited CrewMax TRD Off-Road 2WD.

Many people should know that if you REALLY want to maximize efficiency, performance, horsepower, throttle response and gas mileage, any time you do an engine "breathing" modification it really makes sense to do both intake and exhaust. In addition, you get more horsepower when you combine the two than just adding-up the stated horsepower gains that Toyota and others post on the internet (again, because you are helping the engine to overall breathe).

I was a big motorhead in my younger days it it always made me laugh when people would put on big carbs or towering intake manifolds without backing them up with other mods that will match the performance in regards to peak torque, horsepower, the speed at which the maximum horsepower and/or torque is produced and operating range. You need to consider (in this case) modifying the intake AND exhaust together.

I've had K&Ns and just about every brand and type of muffs, headers and cat-backs that you can think of. I have to say, TRD did this right! An extremely unique sound and great performance value all around. I strongly suggest using their intake and exhaust over aftermarket brands. This is truly a sound that will make drivers of other brand truck jealous! I had a Magnaflow cat-back with a K&N CAI on my G1 Tundra <K&N actually borrowed my new Tundra to help design their systems> but the TRD blows them away by leaps and bounds!

Let it be known that you ALWAYS know that you have this system bolted up. However, if you drive it moderately it is barely noticeable in volume/loudness to stock but when you get into it, it sounds great at all throttle positions and speeds. This unique "glass-pack" type sound is absolutely amazing. My hat goes off to the people at TRD.

Instantly I could tell from the active dash "fuel economy gauge" that it was getting much better gas mileage. The computer setting/monitor confirmed it even though I was "getting into it" way more than usual as I was testing the system out.

Throttle response is amazing. With my windows open, if I QUICKLY accelerated at only about 1/3 throttle, I can hear the tires trying to spin. I can't wait to try things out while towing.

When testing on hills at different throttle amounts I heard something that I had never heard before from the truck - "ping" (pre-ignition). DO NOT be afraid of this as the computer is "re-learning" performance maximization with the new components. It quickly went away.

Install time for both toys was about 3 hours taking my time, double checking and doing things right. This is not a stereo system; read the instructions through before installing because you will learn many tips and tricks to ease the process. (I also printed out an extra set of instructions on pdf via the web. When the wind blows, when your hands are dirty and when instructions get tortured by tools, creepers and equipment, I just think it makes sense)

Never be afraid to ask for a deal when it comes to price. I looked around online and found a different dealer about 30 miles away who had a coupon for 20% off parts. I called my local dealership and asked the guy if they would "price compete" their offer. He came back with, "We don't make a lot of money on TRD but let me ask my manger." When he came back to the phone he said that they would take 15% off and I told him to order it immediately before they changed their mind.

I've had a lot of trucks and high performance vehicles in my days but if you can afford it, buy these two together. They are worth it! Sound, performance, throttle-response, horsepower, gas mileage, torque and value. I HIGHLY recommend them. :tu:

►Follow-up; day 2: I have learned many things in the past about exhaust and intake. Namely that new intake and exhaust parts suffer from a "thermal shock" and break-in as they encounter big variances in high and low temperatures while they acclimate to their new install.

This morning I did what I usually do and that is to check the torque on all parts. Just as suspected: 3 out of 4 clamps of the CAI needed additional tightening and half of the bolts that secured the exhaust needed to be re-tightened as well. This is to be expected. I will probably re-check again in a week then again in a month followed by re-checking about every 10k miles.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Glad to see another review of the trd cai. Seems alot of guys just think its pricey lol. Do you have the SABM as well? Im asking because i do, but with stock intake. I want to combine the two for a few extra HP and i have only been able to speak with one other guy about the intake combo. And if you do not have it, i highly recommend it. I could definitely feel a difference in sound and performance. Seems like the truck shifts about 4mph higher now as well...

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
I have the TRD CAI and it works as designed. I just changed it's filter over the summer and cleaned the MAF screen near the throttle body.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was going to get the TRD CAI as well as the TRD cat back exhaust from the dealership when I bought my truck this November. I am looking to out a Flowmaster series 40 on it as well. The dealership told me that they would charge no labor for installation if purchased the exhaust and intake from them. Altogether it looks like it will come to about $975. DO you think its worth it, or should I buy elsewhere and install myself?

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts