Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I have a 08 Tundra 5.7 V8 and I have a TRD cold air intake in it. I do not like the oiled filter that is in this particular CAI. I was wondering if there is a dry filter that will fit the TRD CAI.

·
Registered
295 Posts
If your fear is because the filter is oiled, read this.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sweet. Maybe I'll just add the TRD CAI filter to my normal rotation of my motocross bike filter clean and oil process. Not my favorite job but I can get pretty good with it with multiple filters in a row. Any particular oil that is recommended?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Sweet. Maybe I'll just add the TRD CAI filter to my normal rotation of my motocross bike filter clean and oil process. Not my favorite job but I can get pretty good with it with multiple filters in a row. Any particular oil that is recommended?
"K&N" makes a filter recharge kit, available at many discount auto parts stores. It contains a cleaning fluid and spray can of oil.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I think AFE may offer a "dry" replacement for the stock intake, not sure if the TRD is the same size or not.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
I have 23K on that filter and I never oiled it!
i don't think that is a problem, especially if the area you live in is not that dusty. However, it is good practice to keep her oiled up.

Also, for the OP - the instructions for cleaning the filter are provided in the aforementioned K&N filter cleaning kit (if you haven't ever done it before) - but here is a link as well if you want to read before you purchase...

CAI filter cleaning instructions

·
Registered
152 Posts
Try a Volant filter
I don't think that would fit. I have a Volant, and the Powercore filter has a slight offset opening where it connects to the intake tube. I'm not sure of the TRD CAI filters dimensions of the opening but from the looks of it, those 2 filters are not close to being interchangeable

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
The TRD CAI filter element comes molded to its own square base, which sets into the TRD air cleaner assembly, which means an alternate source is unlikely.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The TRD Airfilter is made by AFE so maybe their filter the "Pro DryS" would fit if you do not want to deal with oiling the TRD filter. Although the process of oiling the filter is not complicated or difficult to do with the filter recharge kits available in aerosol cans.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
The TRD recharge kit oil comes in a squeezie bottle, but they (TRD) did tell me it was OK to use K&N oil, which is available in aerosol.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts