Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey just wanted to know if any of you with the TRD exhuast think it was worth the money? Did anyone see any gain in MPG?

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
Well made, sounds good, no performance improvement (on Tundras anyway).

·
Registered
666 Posts
I love mine, it sounds good and is very well made. I don't know about performance improvement because mine came factory installed but I am sure there is a slight improvement. It will deffinetly help you get the most out of intake.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Do those replace the factory cats with high flow cats, or are they just a muffler with pipes welded to it?

·
Registered
459 Posts
After a year and a half, I'm happy with it. It was a little pricy, but having an exhaust completes the truck. Maybe a little gain in throttle response and higher rpms hp. MPG doesnt change.

If I had to do it again, I'd also consider a Borla and a Banks system. They seem slightly louder.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Do those replace the factory cats with high flow cats, or are they just a muffler with pipes welded to it?
It is a cat back sytem, so it does not replace the cats. I am assuming for emission purposes. I bet adding high flow cats would add power, but probably wouldn't pass smog.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just got one for my 07 Double Cab. Its a Goldilocks - Not too loud, not too quiet, just right :clown: :clown: Plus it was less than $470 with shipping. :tu: :tu:

·
Registered
93 Posts
For the price, I don't think it's worth it...

you can replace jsut the muffler and add a nice tip and basically have the TRD exhaust for half the price.

I went with a magnaflow muffler and a turn down, didn't even need the extra piping out the back anyway, so it was a null issue for me.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Re: For the price, I don't think it's worth it...

you can replace just the muffler and add a nice tip and basically have the TRD exhaust for half the price.

I went with a magnaflow muffler and a turn down, didn't even need the extra piping out the back anyway, so it was a null issue for me.
Very true, there are some nice sounding muffler setups.

HOWEVER, if you are in snow country where they salt the roads, get a full cat-back TRD, Borla, Banks, whatever. They are stainless and wont rust. My stock exhaust was a rusted hulk after one winter. My TRD has been on for 2 winters, not a spec of rust.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The factory exhaust should be Stainless Steel.

Not sure why yours was so rusted out...not good, I would have taken that in for warranty.

·
Registered
151 Posts
If NY is Like PA, we use tons of salt and brine on the roads in winter. If you Dont wash the under sider off every other day, lots of stuff rusts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought my TRD exhaust awhile ago and I am happy with my purchase. I have noticed a little more growl at low and high RPMs. I also have a K& N Intake, I’m sure that help with the zaust sounding deeper. I am looking into the JBA headers, I hope this will not just increase horsepower but also increase the depth of the growl throughout the RPM range.

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
Re: The factory exhaust should be Stainless Steel.

Not sure why yours was so rusted out...not good, I would have taken that in for warranty.
In all my Toyota Trucks none of my exhausts were stainless and none were covered under warranty unless I replaced the original equipment with an OEM one at the dealer. I paid for it once, but from then on, when it rusted out, my dealer replaced free of charge. I think I had 4 done on my 95 Toyota after 180k in Vermont salty, potholed, frost-heaved roads.

·
Registered
142 Posts
To install the TRD cat-back do you need to cut the factory exhaust off or does it just unbolt and come out nicely... I don't want to have to cut out the factory exhaust.

thanks

·
Registered
142 Posts
the factory exhaust unbolts,and the trd just bolts back in the same way the factory does, same hangers and all.

Great! so no cutting is required to remove the factory exhaust... on my old blazer I had to cut the factory exhaust to remove it from aroung the rear wheel.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Great! so no cutting is required to remove the factory exhaust... on my old blazer I had to cut the factory exhaust to remove it from aroung the rear wheel.
It's an easy install, Two bolts, a little WD-40 on the hangers to make it easier to slip them off. I jacked up the back of my truck to give me room to clear the axle with the exhaust. Slip the TRD exhaust in just the opposite, the hangers slip right on, reinstall two bolts. (Carefull don't damage the flange gasket during all this) Your done. Took me about 20 minutes. Good Luck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts