Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I installed the TRD headers I bought from jjjackies on here yesterday.

Only destroyed 2 nuts in the process of getting them off.

I used a lift, but airline wouldnt reach the lift since we had removed it on that end of the shop so I had to use all hand tools.

I laughed when toyota told me it was 7.6 hrs for one side and 8.2 for the other side to replace manifolds. Took me a total of about 6 hours to replace both headers and another hour and a 1/2 to repair the damage to my transmission line, caused by a wandering sawzall.

Now the truck is at the exhaust shop to have the new flanges welded onto the front of the cats and possibly move the cats back.

Dang truck sounds beastly with open headers, but has a major loss of torque:ballchain:

It almost sounds like a muscle car with open headers like that.

·
Registered
204 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
im jealous still have mine in the garage ready to be installed, where's the pics :D ctateusa what exhaust system are you going with dual or single :trd:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I still have it going through the factory cats and then into a single in dual out ran out the back end. Tomorrow if the exhaust shop is done welding I will take some pics of everything and let you know what the butt dyno says for HP increase.
It is just a flowmaster knockoff muffler. I had it installed 5 years ago, I hadnt even actually bought the truck yet. Just told the dealership on wednesday I would buy it, had the pipes installed thursday drove truck to Nebraska on Friday and then 2 weeks later signed the paperwork for the truck LOL

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Modding a truck that isn't yours, you my friend have the M.A.D.ness, and points to go with it!:nod:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well tomorrow I will post some pics up, and then probably gotta take the truck back to the exhaust shop, when he welded the flanges up he didnt have them bolted together and so I have an exhast leak coming from between the header and the exhaust flange.

He told me he thought the header needed to be tightened up because he could hear the exhaust leaking when it was cold but he thought it would stop after its warmed up. Well after a 20 minute drive home it was still doing it so I crawled under there and sure enough the flange isnt flat with the header so he welded it up out of alingment and now he is gonna have to do it again.

·
Registered
739 Posts
you get them installed yet just curious :becky:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep they have been installed and back to me driving it for about a week now. Still havent taken time to take pics because it has rained almost every day here. I notice a change in the tone and more of a drone in the cab than I did with just my duals. I do feel like there was a definite increase in horsepower. But not as much as I would have really liked lol.

·
Registered
739 Posts
great that you got them installed,sorry to here about droning, wow i wonder if i will get droning with mine as well only one way to find out :becky:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yhea and it only took me about 6 hours to do the whole install with only hand tools.

I probably could do a set in about 5 hours if everything went ok and I had air available.

·
Registered
739 Posts
you think a rookie could possibly do it like myself, i kick butt assembling ikea furniture lol :becky: might just have to try it myself and learn in the process :repair:

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
I think you could do it. It wasn't nearly as bad as some make it out to be. I too have a little bit of drone now, but it isn't on the freeway, it's just at low rpms on the street. It's not bad at all, I actually like the slight drone for some reason.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts