Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing what everyone thought about re-using or replacing my bearings and needing to use new shims or not. from what ive read the bearings and trd lsd are such close tolerances that you can pretty much put new bearings in the new lsd use the old shims and go. thanks Zach

·
Super Moderator
1,772 Posts
Yes buy new bearings.
Take it to a reputable shop.
Have them take measurements on the required shims using a master install kit.
Order up a Just Differential **** For strength... Get a solid collar while you're at it. A crush sleeve is complete garbage for strength. Have them order up some Genuine Toyota Washer Plate/Shims for the Kazuma unit if it's required.

Do you really want to use the old with the new ?
Is it really worth saving a few bucks.

Get new differential axle seals for the rear diff while you're at it. Go genuine Toyota Parts & seals.

Next time use the search button. Its very useful. All this has been discussed before. And very recently for the Kazuma LSD. Previous members' experiences/diff failures etc.

I have a buddy who just got rear diff service done. He didn't get new outer axle seals. And he just got told when getting an alignment recently his seals are leaking. Don't skimp.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I bought new bearings from Toyota, mainly to save time when install & not risk damaging old bearings when transfering, reused old shims & everything came out right on back lash.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First off why would u tear into the pinion if its not needed on a perfectly good diff. And from what ive read and heard multiple times is that these lsds are right on the money for backlash with old shims and new genuine toy bearings. Im doing this myself and having a buddy check backlash. Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Don't plan on the shims still being correct. I installed mine w/new bearings while the frame was being done and they were way off.. no BL initially. three sets of shims later, I got it with some extra carrier bearing preload (CBPL) over the original set up. Even if the shims are right for the backlash, the instructions tell you to up the thickness to increase the CBPL

·
Super Moderator
1,772 Posts
First off why would u tear into the pinion if its not needed on a perfectly good diff. And from what ive read and heard multiple times is that these lsds are right on the money for backlash with old shims and new genuine toy bearings. Im doing this myself and having a buddy check backlash. Thanks
Haahaha.... its your diff. Do it how ever you want.
You're wrong on the Shims staying the same though.
Mine changed when I swapped out to to the Kazuma from the stock factory LSD. 80K miles. The Pinion Pre-load was gone. Gearinstalls.com also shows the importance of using the proper Genuine Toyota Washer Shims/Plates ( Case Side and the Ring Side ) to set the proper Carrier Bearing Pre-Loads on used bearings to maintain strength and keeping backlash the same. And not only the backlash but the over inch-lbs. on the pinon using a solid collar or the wonderful crush collar.

First priority: Yes check backlash to see what's currently going on.
Then..Take a pattern check before dis-assembly to see how its set up currently.Take it apart, check the bearings. If they're good. Well ..good.

Look over gearinstalls.com for the Kazuma installs on what changes. Kazuma <<< Shim part #'s listed here too.
gear install
gear install
It'll get ya a good idea of what changes with the new case vs the stock open diff case or the other Toyota LSD that is weaker and has 200 ft-lb torqued clutch packs.

Toyota gear installs <<< Here are the Toyota Part numbers and the Actual Bearing Numbers for KOYO or Timken bearings. Listed is the Pinion nut, seal part numbers in case you need/want to replace any individually. Go to: Non-TRD Taco (REAR) (T100 girdle style) for the information.

·
Premium Member
6,874 Posts
The solid shims are a PITA to get. Most dealerships do not carry them and have to order them. Either through a central supplier or locate them nationwide. They are about $5 a shim and there's a bunch of shims you need to order in order to start checking for everything. If you can spare some down time, contact Zuk (gearinstalls.com). He can hook you up with either an install or walk you through.

As far as using new bearings. Unless, you recently got the carrier/pinion bearings replaced, it's better to get new ones. Also, have you ever tried to remove the carrier bearings. You'll most like damage them trying to get them off.

The master install kits do not provide the carier shims like toyota does. Instead, they provide shims that fit under the bearing. So, if everything is not in spec, you'll need to press the bearings off again, change the shims thickness, press the bearing back on then, check spec. Redo, until needed. Other option, make/order yourself some set-up bearings. Set-up bearings are honed out in order for you to slide the bearings on off without having to use a press. That way you don't damage the new bearings when having to adjust shims.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts