Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed on Sparks' website that they sell TRD "Performance" oil filters, for $9.75/each... compared to the standard Toyota oil filter, for $3.99/each.

Does anyone use the TRD filters, and have any input on them? Are they worth the extra cost? For that matter, are any aftermarket filters gonna "perform" any better than the stock Toyota Filters? I'm due for an oil-change, so I need to order some soon... any input would be appreciated.

Oh, here's the links to the two different filters:

TRD Filter: TRD High Performance Oil Filter at Sparks Toyota-Scion, Myrtle Beach, SC

Standard Toyota Filter: Genuine Toyota Oil Filter at Sparks Toyota-Scion, Myrtle Beach, SC

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
oh yeah...and you have to use amsoil only, and you have to go 20k miles and get anaylisis done etc.......

no seriously, i wouldnt pay extra for a "performance" oil filter. if toyota thinks the one they specify for the truck is good enough for them to stand behind the motor with, then by all means that's what ill stick with too.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I noticed on Sparks' website that they sell TRD "Performance" oil filters, for $9.75/each... compared to the standard Toyota oil filter, for $3.99/each.

Does anyone use the TRD filters, and have any input on them? Are they worth the extra cost? For that matter, are any aftermarket filters gonna "perform" any better than the stock Toyota Filters? I'm due for an oil-change, so I need to order some soon... any input would be appreciated.

Oh, here's the links to the two different filters:

TRD Filter: TRD High Performance Oil Filter at Sparks Toyota-Scion, Myrtle Beach, SC

Standard Toyota Filter: Genuine Toyota Oil Filter at Sparks Toyota-Scion, Myrtle Beach, SC
They're about .60 cents cheaper at trdparts4u. Oops; am i in trouble now?

I DO beleive they are better for filtration. They claim a much lower micron rating at a higher percentage than most other's, and they use synthetic media vs. paper.

If i was changing my oil every 5k miles, i would not use them. But i don't so my next change i'll be making the switch to the TRD; as i think it's the best filter you can get right now for a cartridge style.

My next UOA will be this september on the OEM filter; then next september ( 2011) i will have another with the TRD.

Stay tuned.........

·
Registered
118 Posts
I use the trd filter.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
whinton.... have you noticed any type of improvement in the TRD filter over stock?

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just how would you notice a difference?
I don't know... that's my point. That's why I'm asking the question,"Is it worth the extra money..." Why do they call it a "performance" oil-filter.

·
Premium Member
1,666 Posts
A performance oil filter will allow a higher flow of oil to travel through the filter while still maintaining factory specs for filtration. This is great when used for towing, if you race your vehicle, have a lot of stop and go traffic, or just like driving your vehicle like you stole it. I would especially use a higher flow oil filter if you have mods done to your vehicle for performance in which case your probably driving harder anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts