Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to the Tundra Prove it get together at Infineon race track. Some of the good and the bad and the awesome.

The good. We did the towing and course drive with the tundra and had a chance to drive the dodge hemi. The tundra blew it away in both acceleration and braking. Although after an emergency stop the truck kind of lurches? I was told this was part of the VSC/traction control? Now to be fair, all the trucks where to be stock. I did notice all the tundra's had the TRD exhaust. I don't know if this was an advantage or disadvantage ie loss of low end torque. The off road course was a little lame but still was fun taking it over the bumps. We got in line for the Nascar's but it was shut down early. We did the quarter mile racing against competition trucks. The guy that told us to get in the trucks stated not to spin the tires or powerbrake. When I got in the titan, I asked the co-pilot that worked there about that he said "I did not hear anything";) . Needless to say it was [email protected] to the wall. My brother was in the tundra next to me. Needless to say I got spanked. We started about the same time and by the end he was a truck length ahead of me. I took the my next turn in the tundra and was up against the dodge. With three of us in the tundra and only the driver in the dodge, I was a good 2 truck lengths ahead of the by the end of the run. The speedo stated about 95 at the end of the quarter so I am figuring low 15's. One guy stated he broke into the 14's but he might have been full of it. The competion was always about a second slower.
Now the AWESOME. While we were waiting for the Nascar, I told my brother to go wait in line for the TRD trucks. They would run the trucks for about an hour then let them cool down? Since they were in the garage at the time there was nobody else in line. Well as stated earlier they shut down the nascar so everybody went over to the trunda and celica area. 30 mins later two red TRD tundras appeared. These are the pace trucks so there were some mods but very few. They had 22" TRD wheels, the big brake kit in front, lowered TRD suspension in front and SOS in the rear. They also had a TRD air filter and TRD exhaust but that was it. The guys came out fresh and must have been talking smack to each other. When I first got in I noticed two switches added to the dash. I asked if they were kill switches (turned out to be for the pace lights) and the driver stated he did not know that he just got into the truck. I am thinking great some toyota employee going to putter around the track. Well found out he was a instructor at the track. So off we went. I was in the second truck which later became the lead truck. THESE GUYS WERE FLAT OUT FAST and so where the trucks. My brother was now in the truck behind me and stated that as my truck was going around the corners we were hitting the concrete "bumps" and where on TWO wheels at times. He also said his truck was so close to mine that all he could see was the top of the tailgate. I know around a least one corner the his truck tried to pass. We were both sliding on four wheels in the turn and the second truck was no further than 5 feet from me IN THE CORNERS with both of us control sliding. One little slip up and we would have been dead. When we got back the boss from toyota came up to the window and asked the driver "did you hear me on the radio?" Then he told the driver he needed to speak to him. We went a second time and it was fast but much slower. I asked the driver if they got in trouble. He said they were told to "stop racing the trucks". Now how fast were we going you ask. The second ride we were in the back and my brother was watching the speedo. He states were were doing 80 mph in the corners and 110mph on the straight aways. We were going much slower so I would conservatively say the first time we were easily doing 90-100mph in the corners and 120 to ? in the straight sections. One other thing was they disconnected the VSC and traction control so they most likely did away with the speed limiter. I never once felt the truck hit what may have been a fuel cutoff for speed. I included a video clip of the ride. Watching it, it may not seem that fast but trust me it was FAST. I consider myself a decent driver but I was white knuckled in the truck. I knew that one mishap at the speeds we were driving the chances of survival where not that good. Please ignore my comments I was a little nervous and should not have been talking. The only bad was that if you were part of the media you got to cut in line. This was especially bad at the Nascar were they took alot of media people and other people who had waited 2 hours in line were turned away. Some of the "media" people had radio station shirts on and did not look like reporters. I would not be surprised if they just worked there and got to use special cards. It was kind of a smack in the face to possible tundra buyers. Also check out some new photos at the member sight. Special Thanks to Dyogim for the tickets :ts:

·
Registered
440 Posts
where's the video?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am trying to get it uploaded. It is 288 megs so I can not put it on this site or you tube. I am going to try a chop it into 3 segments unless anyone else has a better idea.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
You can upload the whole thing to my server, click below then drag and drop your video:
ftp://sharemike.com/calitundra/

if it ask for a
username: u41767702-public
password: public1

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's up at youtube. I am now going to upload a better resolution some 280 megs to SFZ server. That will take a while

Cheers

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
It's up at youtube. I am now going to upload a better resolution some 280 megs to SFZ server. That will take a while

Cheers
aaaaaaaah POST THE LINK. Please.:ts:

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
Freeking awesome! You must have had such a rush. Was like watching a video game. Thanks for posting that!!!:D :tu:

·
Registered
59 Posts

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
Damn. And I have one of these in the driveway right now. 5.7L V8 with 20" wheels. Damn. I am definitely going to get a ticket (or an insurance claim) within the next 24 hours. Never should have watched this video. Damn.

:)

·
Registered
440 Posts
:tu: :tu: :tu:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Alrighty, I did some research and it looks like it took you 1:53 to complete a lap. Not bad considering this is the Nascar record in a stock car for qualifying.

Jeff Gordon - 94.325mph 1:15.950

If my calculations were correct your avg speed for the lap was 63.398 MPH. Pretty damn respectable for an almost stock truck. That's assuming you used the chute they use for Nascar races. I'm not a huge Nascar guy so maybe someone can confirm you went down the chute.

If you didn't use the chute then your avg speed for the lap was a whooping 80.283 MPH.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looking at the video and the map I believe we did use the chute. With the chute the track is 1.949 miles. I started my timer mid track 1st run with midtrack 2nd run because the first we were getting to speed from the pits and we ended in the pits of the second lap. I got a time of 105 secs per lap. This comes out to about 67 mph average. As you stated not to bad for essentially a stock truck.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Them's some down right fast trucks. :tu: :D Anyone have the 0-60 times?

·
Registered
64 Posts
It's Saturday, it's a sunny 80 degrees, and I just watched the video. Guess where I'm going now? Wish me luck with the CHP.:devil:

·
Tire Roasting Member
927 Posts

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts