Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have a problem with the computer for the supercharger going out?

Did you remove the whole unit or what? If you took it off were you able to sell it? Is there any demand for these?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anybody here? I see 46 people have looked and NOBODY has any comment? I thought this would be just the place to get some info. Maybe I'm wrong.

·
Super Moderator
1,772 Posts
Anyone else have a problem with the computer for the supercharger going out?

Did you remove the whole unit or what? If you took it off were you able to sell it? Is there any demand for these?
If you like/love what the TRD supercharger offers in terms of power and near identical mileage or better as its known, then how about you buy a Unichip, and get an authorized Unichip tuner to tune your truck.

Who cares if the TRD piggyback goes out. Some burnt out back in the day after a couple years. Since you're talking 13-14 years later of TRD piggyback degradation, count yourself as lucky. Get a Unichip, attain more HP, and go for a better mileage tune. etc. Get the 5 map switch and have the tuner make 5 Unichip fuel map/ignition tunes so you can toggle between different Air/Fuel ratios, power, towing modes, fuel economy mode, stuff TRD never even thought of.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
If you like/love what the TRD supercharger offers in terms of power and near identical mileage or better as its known, then how about you buy a Unichip, and get an authorized Unichip tuner to tune your truck.

Who cares if the TRD piggyback goes out. Some burnt out back in the day after a couple years. Since you're talking 13-14 years later of TRD piggyback degradation, count yourself as lucky. Get a Unichip, attain more HP, and go for a better mileage tune. etc. Get the 5 map switch and have the tuner make 5 Unichip fuel map/ignition tunes so you can toggle between different Air/Fuel ratios, power, towing modes, fuel economy mode, stuff TRD never even thought of.
My thought's exactly. if the trd piggie burnt out, there is a option I <3 my UNICHIP!!!! i would contact Jack & tell him what you are in need of. They will HOOK you up. I wouldn't ever take out my S/C due to 1 small issue. although i don't have 1. i wish, i had my chance. to have a complete set up & installed. but my Flow Tree has gone down to the minimum. ask my X wive's & all attorney's i hired, where my $ went. i also bought my daughter a New S Corolla, her 09 eclipse was old. lol i often wonder what happened to that set up. :) Gorilla

·
Driver of 2 Tundra trucks
6,401 Posts
Get a Unichip, attain more HP, and go for a better mileage tune. etc. Get the 5 map switch and have the tuner make 5 Unichip fuel map/ignition tunes so you can toggle between different Air/Fuel ratios, power, towing modes, fuel economy mode, stuff TRD never even thought of.
What does this cost, including the initial purchase & tuning?

·
Super Moderator
1,772 Posts
What this cost, including the initial purchase & tuning?
Everyone Tuning shop is different in the terms of dyno tuning time that is spent and their set hrly rates. Or a set rate on Complete tunes.
Unichip has a list of authorized tuners within their website. A call to these local shops is the best way to find out pricing.
The Unichip is between $595-$695 for the TRD supercharged specific Unichip depending on if you know where to get it.
The 5 map switch is between $75-$85 so you can use all 5 maps and toggle between/use them.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, look into tuning shop's that have the hardware for UNICHIP. Unichip should know, who does this. that is how i found my tune shop. the dyno was better to rent for the hour plus the tuning of each map. buy the time i was done, i spent another 500. but i wanted many run's. :) i loved my truck on the dyno. Gorilla

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guess we should have been here before letting the dealer keep it for THREE weeks to remove the supercharger & make it a stock truck again! They had a lot of trouble coming up with all the parts ! At least Toyota Corporate helped us out a LOT on this so it didn't sting too much.

But Corporate insisted on all NEW parts. So now I still have my original intake manifold that was taken off at 12k miles AND the supercharger in boxes in my garage. Are they just scrap metal?

·
Super Moderator
1,772 Posts
Guess we should have been here before letting the dealer keep it for THREE weeks to remove the supercharger & make it a stock truck again! They had a lot of trouble coming up with all the parts ! At least Toyota Corporate helped us out a LOT on this so it didn't sting too much.

But Corporate insisted on all NEW parts. So now I still have my original intake manifold that was taken off at 12k miles AND the supercharger in boxes in my garage. Are they just scrap metal?
Leave it to Toyota to just remove something that still works, with an alternate Unichip piggyback...(such as what the TRD piggyback is/was)...to control the ECU/the auxiliary injectors on the supercharger unit itself, etc.
The TRD supercharged specific Unichip unit has been around since 2003. Unichip has base starting maps so you can still use the vehicle.
You should look in Kentucky for a Unichip tuner, buy a Unichip, then re-install the TRD supercharger by yourself. It is very easy to install the TRD supercharger.
If you need the installation instructions, tips on tools to get aiding in installation, and you are interested, Private message me.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
jamesjr4750 your a good guy. huge prop's. great web site with awesome people always willing to go out of our way to help & input the information that could get you going again. :) Gorilla

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Jamesjr4750 but it's off & staying off. I'm not a mechanic. I am looking for info on whether it is anything anybody would want before I just haul it off to the scrapman.

·
Super Moderator
1,772 Posts
Thanks Jamesjr4750 but it's off & staying off. I'm not a mechanic. I am looking for info on whether it is anything anybody would want before I just haul it off to the scrapman.

Anyone else, Want to tell him NOT to throw the rare 4.7L TRD supercharger in the scrap pile ???

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
I am interested in the supercharger

EDIT: I am passing on this one

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jamesjr4750: I'm NOT interested in trashing what cost me a lot! Neither am I interested in having it reinstalled with a different chip. I appreciate your info on pricing very much!!

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
PLEASE DO NOT JUNK IT. YOU CAN GET MONEY FOR THE S/C.
it's boxed up. from what you have said the only thing you. need is a piggy back computer.
post it here 1ST, Than E-BAY.
these are so hard to find.
your sitting on a pile of GOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gorilla

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you Gorilla. It IS in a box but is too heavy to be shipped that way IMO. At least not w/o damage. I'll have to look into how it can be shipped.

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
Anyone else, Want to tell him NOT to throw the rare 4.7L TRD supercharger in the scrap pile ???
I will!

To the Op. Find yourself some heavy duty box (packing) that will support hard foam/packing around the total unit. Many have shipped across many state lines,
with no issues.

As said, I would post here and then Ebay. Because you are willing to part with it, ask a very reasonable price and watch it go. As long as folks know they need to
add the ECU cost to the unit going in, I would bet you would have no trouble moving the unit. Some folks still want one. It is a RARE piece of Tundra add-on HP that
can be done rather easily, assuming the "parts kit" is complete.

·
Super Moderator
1,772 Posts
Thank you Gorilla. It IS in a box but is too heavy to be shipped that way IMO. At least not w/o damage. I'll have to look into how it can be shipped.
PhilKY. All you have to do is take the TRD supercharger and All the parts to an actual Fed-Ex Office (not just a fed-ex location)...ship in your area and they will guarantee their packaging/wrapping. The employees are trained to do this properly. If anything does get damaged during shipment after it leaves the store, the actual store has to pay for it. I was told this by the employees so they make d*mn sure its packaged right so this doesn't happen. I have never had a problem with Fed-Ex in the 10 years I've been using them.
UPS sucks BTW. Overpriced too.

This is what I have done in the past. It is guaranteed, so they bubble wrap the supercharger multiple times on one pass, then covering it the same multiple passes at all 4 corners. Then more paper wrap packaging is put around all 4 corners inside protecting it even more. You could practically throw the thing and it not get damaged when they're done with it from what I've seen with my own going out for shipment.

The other parts like fuel lines, bolts, Coolant housing, etc, overall smaller items go in another box and it is all wrapped in the same manner.
Then, you ask the buyer if they want everything insured for the price they bought/buy the supercharger for.
Become a Member, no fee at Fed-Ex and save 15-20% on shipping.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts