Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unless I've missed on the forum, no one has addressed the level of coolant and type of coolant needed for the charger. It's suppose to be maintenance free, but since it has a cooler with a coolant canister, there must be some requirement to keep the coolant at a certain level, does anyone know how much coolant is suppose to be in the cansiter and what kind of coolant it takes?

·
Registered
57 Posts
RTFM???

I would think that would be something either the manual would address, or a quick call to the installing dealer would also work.

Sorry for the sarcasm, just seems like something that should have been discussed with the dealer shortly after installation. They didn't go over the SC with you and address things like that?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RTFM???

I would think that would be something either the manual would address, or a quick call to the installing dealer would also work.

Sorry for the sarcasm, just seems like something that should have been discussed with the dealer shortly after installation. They didn't go over the SC with you and address things like that?
Humm...I take it you don't know the answer either.

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Any water based coolant needs to be maintained, regardless of where it's being used. I would at least periodically check the level and PH/acidity.

You could contact TRD for that info if your dealer doesn't know.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Humm...I take it you don't know the answer either.
I don't! But then again, I don't have a SC yet. But, if and when I do, I will be sure to bring this up to the installer! Thanks.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Did you install it? I have never installed one but I have installed turbo chargers on other vehicles and generally the nice ones had a coolant line installed to them and so when you changed your coolant for the car, your blower got a refresh too.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Did you install it? I have never installed one but I have installed turbo chargers on other vehicles and generally the nice ones had a coolant line installed to them and so when you changed your coolant for the car, your blower got a refresh too.
He's asking about the air-water intercooler fluid, which is completely separate from the engine's coolant.

·
Preferred Dealer
1,170 Posts
Keep the level at least above the top of the upper hose. Use the Toyota 50/50 pink coolant. If it dosn't get too cold where you are, one can drop the ratio to 40/60 with distilled or deionized water, or possibly go even further. This will improve the efficiency of the system.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Keep the level at least above the top of the upper hose. Use the Toyota 50/50 pink coolant. If it dosn't get too cold where you are, one can drop the ratio to 40/60 with distilled or deionized water, or possibly go even further. This will improve the efficiency of the system.
Since you're a dealer let me ask you this, is Prestone, or any other name brand, an acceptable coolant to use? Will it void the warranty? Will it damage something inside the engine? And why will a lower ratio coolant / water be more efficient?

BTW I've hiked / climbed Mt Greylock several times when I lived in Worcester. Beautiful place.

·
Preferred Dealer
1,170 Posts
I'm not a Toyota dealer, just a dealer of performance and HD parts on TS... so I can't really comment on the warranty part. You should be fine with good ol' green coolant, but don't mix it with the pink. You'll have to change it more frequently, too. I'll have to read up on the coolant ratio numbers again, but I recall a 50/50 mix having about 80% of the thermal capacity of straight water.

LOL, always nice to run into folks online who have been to this (western MA) area. What trails did you hike? I can see Greylock out my window.

·
Back from the dead!
1,778 Posts
The SC coolant looks orange to me... will the pink be ok?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I'm not a Toyota dealer, just a dealer of performance and HD parts on TS... so I can't really comment on the warranty part. You should be fine with good ol' green coolant, but don't mix it with the pink. You'll have to change it more frequently, too. I'll have to read up on the coolant ratio numbers again, but I recall a 50/50 mix having about 80% of the thermal capacity of straight water.

LOL, always nice to run into folks online who have been to this (western MA) area. What trails did you hike? I can see Greylock out my window.
Thanks and I hiked the eastern side up the old ski trail and once on the western side. Can't remember that trail name. I've hiked quite a bit, Wachusett every weekend, Monandnock N.H. (that sux), all the way up to the Bigelows in Maine. then I moved to beautiful S.C. And I'll stick with good old pink fluid in the rig. Thanks man.

·
Registered
304 Posts
The pink coolant does look orange inside the SC reservoir. Dealer installs should all have the pink, so you should be OK using it. It might not be a bad idea to check with your dealer to find out if that is what they used.
My dealer just used the pink/orange stuff that Toyota has that is already premixed and just filled the reservoir almost to the top, about an 1/8 to 1/4 inch shy of being to the rim. Other than that no maint is required.

Hope that helps...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts