Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the TRD Sway Bar and made sure I didn't pinch the brake line or wheel speed sensor wire. On a clean dry road I get the VSC to come on now in a turn with gentle acceleration. Funny thing is, the VSC goes off on the outside wheel, not the inside wheel which has less traction (today for example on the on ramp to the Interstate, right hand sweeper about 45MPH with gentle acceleration and the driver's side rear wheel VSC'ed on me with hard braking pulses).

Could I have a speed sensor failing on the drivers side rear? I don't have any idiot lights or maintenance messages.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I felt it in the shudder (similar to the feeling of a high speed skid - locked a single rear wheel once in a Grand Marquis at ~75MPH on the interstate trying to avoid killing a Darwin award candidate - or hydroplane in a grooved road) and heard the brake chatter.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I suppose by reducing the body roll, the anti sway bar could increase the chance of the outerwheel losing traction by the body unweighting the axle on a sharp turn.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Adding the rear sway bar stiffens the rear suspension a bit, which increases the vehicle’s tendency to oversteer.
That means the rear can lose traction (break loose) in turns a bit more easily now, especially in low-traction situations.
Best course of action is to ease up on the throttle a bit in the turns and curves, until you get used to the altered handling characteristics of the vehicle.

Steve

·
Registered
151 Posts
How's your tire pressure, adn do you have E-rated tires by chance?

I notice with my e rated that if I put more than 40psi, it's more prone for the VSC to activate at the same speed. I especially notice it more after I forget to let air back out of my rears after towing. I usually pump them to 45 psi when towing. BFG AT KO's.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am having similar issues.

07 DC, E-rated tires, 5100's all around w/ middle setting front, TRD sway. I installed everything at once so I'm not sure what's causing the VSC to be so sensitive, just like the OP says, sweeping freeway on-ramp type turns the outside front wheel is getting braked by VSC.

I read the other posts talking about zero point calibration, and putting washers in the yaw sensor under the center console to compensate for the 1.5" front lift. That just doesn't make sense to me... so that means VSC behaves differently if you're going up/down a hill? So if I was on a slight downhill grade my sensor would think my truck was level, wouldn't it? I get the same overly sensitive VSC on up and downhill turns, no difference.

Maybe the TRD sway is the problem? What about tire pressure? I'm going to experiment on lowering my pressure, I'm currently at 50 psi all around on the e-rated tires.

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,569 Posts
I keep my pressure over 50 all around on E tires, and if I get onto the throttle hard, especially in a corner, I can get the VSC going. I haven't put on the sway bar yet, I'll see if it makes it worse. It's not too bad at all right now, even with these tires.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you have big tires? Is the truck lifted?
I have Michelin LTX AT/2's on 20 inch wheels with an overall diameter of 34". I am running a Readylift with 3" in front and 1" in the rear.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How's your tire pressure, adn do you have E-rated tires by chance?

I notice with my e rated that if I put more than 40psi, it's more prone for the VSC to activate at the same speed. I especially notice it more after I forget to let air back out of my rears after towing. I usually pump them to 45 psi when towing. BFG AT KO's.
I have P-metric Michelin LTX AT/2's with 44PSI in them. I was having some sidewall flex issues towing and loading up the bed so, I tried 44PSI prior to the sway bar and the Tundra rode and handled better though, the back did occasionally want to step out on me under aggressive acceleration in turns if the bed was empty.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
i dont have a sway bar but i have Load range E tires from toyo and keep them at 40-45 i cant remember exactly...and a 3 inch frt lift and no issues at all. now when i put the 1 inch blocks in the rear next week im sure i'll have all sorts of hell since ive been lucky thus far...but the zero point is an easy diy with the jumper wire, instructions are in a thread here. so its not going to be a big deal for me if they do act up...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts