Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a '19 Sequoia Limited and it is a bit mushy in the corners. Was thinking about adding the TRD sway bars front and rear to help. Anyone have experience with this upgrade? We just moved out of a 1-ton Ram and my wife really likes the Sequoia's comfortable ride so I don't want to push it too far or I'll get in trouble - ha. Any other recommendations like new shocks or ??

Some years ago I added a rear sway bar to my '11 Tundra and it helped it corner a bit better so I thought it might help the Sequoia without going too far.

Thanks

·
Registered
2011 Toyota Sequoia Limited
12 Posts
I made the mistake of ordering a trd rear sway bar a couple years ago for my ‘11 sequoia, turns out they’re only similar to the tundras B pillar forwards. If you’re looking to firm up your ride see if you can order the front sway bar from a dealer directly, or just get some fatter wheels/tires. On stock suspension going down a wheel size to 18 and up to 33s(?...) would give you more grip and a wider stance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that's good to know although I was aware that the rear suspension was totally different. I had only looked at the accessory list for the new Sequoia builds on the Toyota site and front/rear TRD sway bars were offered. I suppose there are other options to reduce the body lean in the corners. I'll have to dig deeper

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you happen to find a rear sway bar please post the part number, I definitely would like to get one in the future.

·
Registered
14’ Sequoia Limited
241 Posts
What about this??

·
Registered
12 Posts
What about this??

How did you find that lol, I feel like I’ve been looking for that a long time. When I worked at a dealer I was told that part couldn’t be ordered(even though it was on their gorgeous showroom trd pro sequoia :/). Thank you for sharing that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's the part number I was looking at. I was hoping that someone else had already made this mod so I could decide if it's worth it. Basically as long as the TRD part is a larger diameter than it should be an improvement.

·
Registered
14’ Sequoia Limited
241 Posts
How did you find that lol, I feel like I’ve been looking for that a long time. When I worked at a dealer I was told that part couldn’t be ordered(even though it was on their gorgeous showroom trd pro sequoia :/). Thank you for sharing that.

I just Googled 2019 trd pro sequoia rear sway bar

Check this price out!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've decided to give the TRD sway bars a try since I did like the improvement I saw on my Tundra.

That's a good price. I saved about $10 more ordering from La Grange Toyota - only because they are offering free shipping (code FREESHIP) so both bars came to $299.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Will that work on 08-17s? It does indicate its specifically '18+ - but I thought they were basically identical underneath... I just got my front sway from Sparks...

·
Registered
14’ Sequoia Limited
241 Posts
Will that work on 08-17s? It does indicate its specifically '18+ - but I thought they were basically identical underneath... I just got my front sway from Sparks...
I’d love to know this as well, cause I would get them if they fit my 14’!
steveTN, let’s us know how they work out!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well the Toyota guys got the bars but the hardware that is supposed to be included is not there. A hardware kit for the rear bar is available for an extra $60 or so but they can't find any info at all for hardware to install the front bar. The front bar would be the biggest difference in my opinion so I just cancelled the order. Sorry guys, if I come up with another solution I'll let you know.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
What hardware wasnt included? Do you mean like nuts and bolts or bushings and links? $60 seems kinda high if its just the actual hardware.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A quick check and I found this from Sparks Toyota:

This is the Red TRD Front sway bar that comes standard on the 2018 Tundra TRD Sport. This product comes to us without a box from Toyota. As such, it will have minor damage to the paint work. This damage will be on the bars before they come to us from Toyota. It will not come with any bushings or brackets. It is designed to replace your OE front sway bar. You reuse your stock bushings and mounting hardware.

This bar is the same diameter as your stock bar, but is is about double the weight. The stock bar is approximately 17lbs with the end links and this new bar is 29lbs without the end links on it. This will allow for better handling and a stiffer stance when going in corners or towing.

- Fitment
  • 2007-2019 Tundra - All models
  • 2009-2019 Sequoia - All Models
Guess I'll give them a call and see what they want for both bars and the rear mounting kit.
What hardware wasnt included? Do you mean like nuts and bolts or bushings and links? $60 seems kinda high if its just the actual hardware.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Apparently the sway bars come with nothing attached. As I understand it the hardware kit includes all of the nuts/bolts/washers plus the links and bushings.

I'm still waiting on the guys from Modern Toyota to get back to me. I'll give them till this afternoon then I'll contact Sparks Toyota - I've dealt with Sparks when I had my Tundra and they seemed to be pretty knowledgeable.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
The diameter of the bar is the same but it weighs more, how's that even possible? Just my opinion but I dont see how it could be any improvement at all. Now adding a rear if you never had one in the first place, that could net you some gains I would think.

Reactions: Jonesy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My guess is that the heavier TRD bar is made of a different, higher density, steel alloy that has a higher spring constant. Of course I'm just guessing but it is what makes the most sense especially in a manufacturing environment. More than one way to skin the cat.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts