Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I just purchased and installed the TRD Swaybar ($225 inc Tax) on my 2010 CM on 3/26/10. I personally can NOT tell much of a difference in performance. I purchased my truck back in July 09. I've put 12K miles on the truck already before I did this install. I feel that I have a good idea on it's performance without the TRD Swaybar, including towing a boat for waterfowl season last winter. I installed the TRD Swaybar on my truck last Friday and then took the truck out on Saturday to the ocean to do some razor clam digging- about a 6 hr road trip. Didn't notice any change in handling at all. I am hoping to find an improvement when towing my boat. I will keep you posted. For daily driving, IMO I would not put this purchase high on my list of things to buy for your 2010 CM 4x4. Save you funds and buy some Lights to assist you in seeing things when you reverse in the dark.

As you can tell, my next purchase will be some PIAA fog lights that will be mounted to my rear bumper to assist me in lighting up the area when I'm in reverse. I have a back up camera (that came with the Limited package), but the lighting is not sufficient. The PIAA should fix this problem for me.

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Interesting, I'd say that the TRD swaybar was the best bang for the buck mod I've ever done on my Tundra...oh well!

Maybe it's based on driving habits...I drive back roads with curves to work every day, so I'm probably using it more than the average Tundra owner.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Now that I have the sway bar installed, I can do 70 MPH around a 45 MPH corner before the nannies go off!!!:D

Maybe it is more noticeable on the double cab????? Strange????:confused:

·
Registered
819 Posts
I noticed it right away on turns. No more extreme body roll.

·
Banned
1,363 Posts
Interesting, I'd say that the TRD swaybar was the best bang for the buck mod I've ever done on my Tundra...oh well!

Maybe it's based on driving habits...I drive back roads with curves to work every day, so I'm probably using it more than the average Tundra owner.

I also noticed right away...soon as turned right off my street...I was like WOW!!! But then again, if you make turns at a very slow speed, you probably will not notice any difference. And if you drive like folks in New Orleans do...you will indeed notice the difference or get ran over.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I also have a 5.7 2010 Crewmax.. installed the TRD Sway at about 500 miles... the change was night and day! The Sway bar makes a very noticeable difference in handling. Did you torque it to exact specs..?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, reading your comments tells me one thing about my driving habbits. I must not drive my truck hard enough to notice the performance improvement that the TRD sway bar offers. As I mentioned, I put 12K miles on my '10 crewmax before I installed the TRD Swaybar. The truck has experienced 1 hunting season already without the TRD Swaybar. I will inform you all on the trucks handling improvements when towing this hunting season. I never experienced extream body roll in my Tundra and I hope I never do. (especially since I have the TRD Swaybar installed now)

In my opinion, if you drive like I do, you will not see a Night and Day difference as some of these individuals have found. But it is good to know, that if I ever do need to take a turn at 70 mph or make a sharp agressive turn, the TRD Swaybar will do it job.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I hit my new TRD rear swaybar on some gravel last weekend while Turkey hunting over in Easter Washington. I was driving a field glassing some locations. When I went to get back onto an elevated gravel road I scraped the swaybar on the gravel just as I was getting on top. Need to remember that the Swaybar sit's lower than my rear diff. I was suprised that it hit, but when looking at the grade of the slope, I can see why it hit when I crested the top. Glad it was gravel/dirt and not a asphalt road. Had to make a sharp turn at the top so I didn't go over the other side. This may have been the reason why it hit. Got a nice 24 pound Tom with 8" beard out of that field though.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The TRD swaybar was the first thing I ordered for the 2010 CM we just bought. I installed the TRD swaybar, new Bilstein 5100s, and a Deaver mini-pack all at the same time. Personally, I find a huge difference from stock.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The TRD swaybar was the first thing I ordered for the 2010 CM we just bought. I installed the TRD swaybar, new Bilstein 5100s, and a Deaver mini-pack all at the same time. Personally, I find a huge difference from stock.

I would hope you see a huge difference from stock after changing out your rear suspension system on your new 2010 CM. I'll take your new stock shocks and stock rear leaf springs off your hands for free if you don't want them anymore. Hate to see a perfectly good part go to waste.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I did not notice the night and day differnce under normal driving. I have a 2007 double cab. I did notice a nice improvment while towing a 6,000 lb boat, alot less sway.

·
Benny Hill
17,369 Posts
I live on the back roads of a mountain. The roads are narrow,windy and in poor condition. I noticed a HUGE difference. Less wheel hop on the turns as well as a LOT less lean. Holds the turns MUCH better.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I live on the back roads of a mountain. The roads are narrow,windy and in poor condition. I noticed a HUGE difference. Less wheel hop on the turns as well as a LOT less lean. Holds the turns MUCH better.

Thanks for the feedback, well this seals it, my style of driving probably does not warrent the purchase of this TRD Swaybar, as I have never experienced wheel hop or excessive lean while going around a turn during normal driving conditions. But, it's good to hear that it works and does it's job.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did not notice the night and day differnce under normal driving. I have a 2007 double cab. I did notice a nice improvment while towing a 6,000 lb boat, alot less sway.
Thanks for the reply, I agree with you here. I took my hunting boat over the hill to the Pot Holes to do some fishing, about a 3 hr trip from my house. I would have to say that I traveled in normal to high wind conditions, IMO there was less sway. Gotta luv that 5.7L engine going up those hills. Also luv the bigger disk breaks for going down them same hills!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Quick question on the TRD swaybar.. I have read about the great handling improvements that I personally could appreciate with my driving style, but I also read that it can hurt you off road performance.
Can someone tell me what I will be losing off road if I install the TRD sway bar on my 4x4CM? Is it worth it??:confused:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Drove the Tundra to work today! AWESOME!> Feels better going around corners! I will be doing a bunch of interstate driving tomorrow so it will be fun to see how it does!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quick question on the TRD swaybar.. I have read about the great handling improvements that I personally could appreciate with my driving style, but I also read that it can hurt you off road performance.
Can someone tell me what I will be losing off road if I install the TRD sway bar on my 4x4CM? Is it worth it??:confused:

Hey whiteTXtundra, it is my understanding that one of the issues with the TRD sway bar for off road driving is associated to individual wheel articulation that may be needed in certain situations that you may incounter.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Hater... I'll take it off your hands if you're not happy with it ;)

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I take turns like a granny in my Crewmax and then take them on the straightaways so a sway bar would not be a big difference for me. Also I have noticed reduced wear on outside front tires taking turns i little easier.

On A REGULAR CAB I WOULD BUY IT if it was street only!

My 5100 are stiff up front so definitely reduced that little rolling it had.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts