Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will there be a noticeably different ride with the TRD package on a crewmax.
will it be a harder ride, since it has the bilstein shocks??
I know in theory it should be a harder ride but will you feel the difference.
I have noticed all the crewmax limited I have seen have the TRD package.
I would prefer a smother ride since I do not go off road....but want the 4WD.
Any idea's....

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
will there be a noticeably different ride with the TRD package on a crewmax.
will it be a harder ride, since it has the bilstein shocks??
I know in theory it should be a harder ride but will you feel the difference.
I have noticed all the crewmax limited I have seen have the TRD package.
I would prefer a smother ride since I do not go off road....but want the 4WD.
Any idea's....
I am in the same boat as you. I occasionally drive logging roads in the winter but for the most part, its paved and gravel roads. The information I have read on this site is conflicting at best. Some say the ride is smoother, others say its rougher and some have said they have not noticed any difference.

One additional factor is that I believe the ltd crewmax has the 20" wheels but the trd has 18" wheels. I am not 100% sure that this is the case, but I know for myself, I would like the 18" wheels.

I have probably raised more questions than answers but hopefully someone else will chime in.....

Regards,

C.

·
Registered
202 Posts
You can get 4x4 CrewMax without TRD.
I test drove both Trucks and preferred the Non TRD suspension because it is a smoother ride. I will not be off roading much or require much 4x4 usage but I wanted the option and have the smoother ride.
Test drive them you'll feel the difference paricularly on the highway.

Waiting from My White, 4x4, limited, nav, sunroof, sonar, tow mirrors.....

·
Registered
202 Posts
Maybe you can't get the CrewMax without TRD. I just saw that you're in Canada. Your region may be different that mine. Sorry.
There's always special order..... ugh.

·
Registered
237 Posts
My '07 CrewMax is my 3rd Tundra, and all have had the TRD package. I've never driven a non TRD Tundra and really don't know what the ride is like, but I love the TRD package and the stiffer ride. I do not go offroad and don't have any intensions of doing that, but the TRD package was a must when I placed my order. IMO it's worth the extra cost :tu: Off-road tuned suspension, unique 18" Alloy wheels, Bilstein shocks & TRD graphics etc., is what I wanted:D

·
Registered
699 Posts
if your in canada then you cannot get a limited with the trd package. its either one or the other. I'm in ontario so it could be different but I'm almost 99% sure it is not any different. I tw alot so I went with the TRD it felt a little stiffer but I have a fused spine so maybe thats why I could tell. metal dosnet give at all.:D

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a 5.7 CrewMax ltd w/ TRD. I didn't drive the non TRD so I can't compare, but I know I'm not unhappy with the TRD ride. Ltd trim comes standard with 18" alloys. 20" is always an option -- my guess a common one on non TRD trucks.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've drive both a TRD and non-TRD '07 DC. I couldn't tell a difference between the two, yet I wasn't on a very bumpy road either. I do know that they both had a smoother ride than my '03 w/ TRD. Much smoother. I ordered mine without TRD.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am not in Canada....I am in North Carolina.:D
There is a dealer who has a crewmax limited just about the way I would want it....but it has TRD. It's only $105 option on the sticker..... I was just concerned about the ride before I go and try and deal with them on price.....

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've never riden in a non TRD Tundra. My 4wd Tundra has the TRD package and I love it. It may be a little stiff going slow on poorly paved roads but it really shines when I'm cruising 40-50mph on a bumpy levee or dirt road. Somewhere I read that this is where the TRD shines.....higher speed offroading, etc. When cruising (40-60mph) down a bumpy dirt road/poorly paved road, the truck isn't bouncing all over the place. Two of my buddies have non TRD tundras and when we go hunting and travel down bad roads/levees, they always ask me "where's the fire?". I do not tear up my truck; the TRD handles the roughness at higher speeds better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have the TRD package as well and i have noticed that on pavement I notice the littel bumps and cracks more. However once you hit a dirt road and speed picks up above 30mph the truck is very, very smooth.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How does it ride 25-35mph around town...or 60-70mph hwy.......and do you have a crew or DC

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm getting TRD for my limited crewmax 4x2, I like the Bilsteins.. Handling should be better than stock shocks...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a CrewMax Limited 4x4 nav, sunroof, sonar, etc. on order without TRD package. I just like the look of the 20" wheels better than 18". They just look more aggresive. That's just my opinion.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have a CrewMax Limited 4x4 nav, sunroof, sonar, etc. on order without TRD package. I just like the look of the 20" wheels better than 18". They just look more aggresive. That's just my opinion.
I like the 20" wheel look also, I ordered mine with the BBS wheels.

·
Registered
87 Posts
How does it ride 25-35mph around town...or 60-70mph hwy.......and do you have a crew or DC
I have a DC Limited, tow package with TRD. Would be the same wheel base as the CM. The TRD was only $70 so I suspect the only difference when adding the TRD with the tow package is the shocks. The ride around town is firm but not bone jarring and the highway is great. No floating.

·
Registered
137 Posts
TRD all the way can't beat the Bilsteins and it feels safer on cornering and on washboard type roads I drove several 07s with and without TRD and there is a slight difference but for my tastes the safer comfortable feeling with the TRD package is great and
my guess is that the Bilsteins will surely outlast the stock shocks!.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Only problem with the TRD package is those junk BFG rugged trails. I would like the TRD package with TRD wheels if they could put Michelin or Bridgestone tires on them. I had those rugged trails on my 01 Tundra TRD and now have Bridgestone Alenza tires which are so much better.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I agree with most everything that has been said. I test drove both, and the non-TRD unit was too 'car like' for my tastes. I am choosing the TRD option. It felt more secure and a little stiffer, but not much. Did pick up a few of the smaller cracks or ripples in the road, moreso than the non TRD version. I like the wheels TRD comes with. I am trading in a F250 that I just put Bilsteins on a few months ago, on that truck they made a marked difference. I think it will be money well spent.
One drawback, I like to take all stickers and such off of my trucks, and there have been posts about 'ghost' images left on the paint after removing the TRD logo. Have to check that out further myself.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts