Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually do my own oil changes and greasing etc but no matter how hard I try I can not get the front Drive shaft to take any grease. The fitting is so tight or something and it just squirts out.

I have tried two different guns and they both do it. I have also rotated the shaft to various angles etc.

What is the secret to this? I have 10k miles and dont want to ruin anything !!

HELP

Don

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a grease nipple, or at least what I call a grease nipple. Here is a link.

Anyway that is what I could not get to work. So I called the service manager at the dealer and he drives one too and suggested I get a swivel connector. Which I did today.

I tried that and still had trouble. Then after another 30 minutes I pushed really hard and then injected the grease and if I did everything just right it would take the grease.

The front most zerk fitting I still coult not get to work however.

Don

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
rotts4u said:
I usually do my own oil changes and greasing etc but no matter how hard I try I can not get the front Drive shaft to take any grease. The fitting is so tight or something and it just squirts out.

I have tried two different guns and they both do it. I have also rotated the shaft to various angles etc.

What is the secret to this? I have 10k miles and dont want to ruin anything !!

HELP

Don

Get a needle for your greese gun and you'll be able to grease it fine. You can try other fittings, but this is easier (as long as you don't crush the fragile tip)

http://www.tools-plus.com/lnc82784.html

I kind of like this type of needle better if your going to be pulling it off and putting it on a lot.

http://www.tireservicecentral.com/P...ls/Lubrication_Tools/lubrication_tools_13.htm

To be honest. Even if you *never* greased that front shaft it would probably last the life of the vehicle and then some.

Most people don't use the front shaft enough to really need much grease.

Oh, you might like to get some grease fitting caps. If you use this needle or something like it and put caps on the fittings to keep it clean you'll find greasing the shaft fittings are a breeze.

Alan

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've found on very seldom occasions that the zerk fitting ball bearing gets really stuck and requires replacement---after replacing the zerk fitting, the grease seemed to rush in with no problems.

Note! Just because the unit is new, doesn't mean everything will work---that's the reason for the "Lemon Law" in most states.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
makana81 said:
I've found on very seldom occasions that the zerk fitting ball bearing gets really stuck and requires replacement---after replacing the zerk fitting, the grease seemed to rush in with no problems.

Note! Just because the unit is new, doesn't mean everything will work---that's the reason for the "Lemon Law" in most states.
Have you looked at the location of this zerk? I thought the same thing so I went to the tool drawer and got out a new Zerk and went to try a replacement but unless you take off the whole shaft and U jount there is not a way to access the fitting. Deep well sockets just do not fit in there. Its hard to get in a grease nipple. How is a socket going to fit?

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
rotts4u said:
Have you looked at the location of this zerk? I thought the same thing so I went to the tool drawer and got out a new Zerk and went to try a replacement but unless you take off the whole shaft and U jount there is not a way to access the fitting. Deep well sockets just do not fit in there. Its hard to get in a grease nipple. How is a socket going to fit?
I've not tried it, and I really wouldn't want to do it, one might be able to pull the fitting with a needle nose plier if it's not too tight.

If not, a jig could probably be made. Doesn't need too much force to get it loose and tighten it back up.

Alan

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Moderators Note: Moved from Sequoia Solutions to Engine & Drivetrain. Original Poster notified. Boone

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just started using Schaffers grease and of course everyone claims their grease is the best but so far I really like this stuff.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What made it finally "take the grease"?
Did you try a different nozzle or ?
I tried a regular grease gun on my "new to me" 2000 Tundra with no grease going in the fitting.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The solution to this issue it's actually quite simple: use a regular greasing nozzle, file off on the side of the nozzle about 1.25 inches from the tip up, any side, it doesn't matter because the nozzle can rotate. I used a belt sander to get this done pretty quick, file it from the tip up about 1/16" to nothing(1.25" up). The nozzle will fit in there just fine. I bought a small gun just for that drive, and i always use the same tube of grease over the years since it uses very little. Hope this helps

1 - 19 of 19 Posts