Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets face it, the cost of the TRD supercharger scares most @ 6K$....(well, not me cause I roll like a pimp) <[last statement was a joke].

6K$ is nothing to scoff at, and what I am going to propose may make adding the TRD supercharger within reach (or at least more so) of the common man (or woman).

I gotta hold of the TRD install PDF file. This was bad for me because I started mind f-ing myself.

Heres why:

The fact is that the base supercharger unit costs LESS THEN 3000$!!!!

This means that the cost of the supercharger is almost doubled by the install kit.

What exactly is in this kit that cost as much as the supercharger!!!!!

Well....lets take a look and see what other options we have.

Firstly there are elements that we can use from other applications, fab or do without but some parts are just simply better to use the TRD part for if nothing else just for the ease of 'plug and play'.

Secondly, the use of aftermarket performance parts is usually not only cheaper but will allow for better then OEM components made by manufactures who specialized in a particular field.

*without seeing the components first hand I am not 100% sure about the aftermarket equivalent. To be sure I (or someone) will need to get numbers (however I am fairly certain of my estimations).

Lets dissect the install kit:

TUNDRA FIT KIT: PTR29-34100

Item Qty Req’d Description
1 1 Low Temperature Radiator (LTR)
2 1 TRD Air Filter
3 1 Air Box Lid
4 1 Coolant Cross Over Manifold
5 1 Hardware Bag “A”
6 1 Hardware Bag “B”
7 1 Hardware Bag “C”
8 1 Hardware Bag “D”
9 1 8 Rib Belt
10 1 Hardware Bag “E”
11 1 Hardware Bag “F”
12 1 Hardware Bag “G”
13 1 Hardware Bag “H”

Out of fit kit we will need:

#1. This is a intercooler heat exchanger.
You can find a like aftermarket size for between 140-350$
I would personally go with the largest one you can fit....but a 200$ unit is right in the middle and better then OEM so I will assess this at 200$

#9. 8 Rib belt.
No way around it. I am estamating about 40$, but an aftermarket equivalent is likely around. (will have to cross)
40$

MAYBE #4
(this may be one of the items its just better to buy then to mess with, however it looks very simple, I just dont know until I see one) For now I will say I can fab one with no prob.
Estimated cost to fab.....25$

ALL NUT AND BOLT Hardware can be purchased at hardware store, I would say less then
100$ (over estimated and using grade 6 or higher)

-I now firmly believe the OEM or aftermarket air box can be used with slight mods....cost
35$

Cost for fit kit:
325-400$

Hardware bag "A"

1 1 Reservoir Mounting Bracket
2 1 Relay with Wire Harness Assembly
3 1 Intercooler Pump Mounting Bracket
4 8 Wide Band Spring Clamp
5 10 Lock Ties (Short)
6 1 90° Plastic Elbow
7 2 Adel #36 Clamp
8 2 Fuses: 15 amp ATC, 10 amp mini fuse
9 1 5/16” ID X 1-1/4” OD Flat Washer
10 1 M6 X 20 mm Hex Flange Head Bolt
11 1 M8 X 20 mm Hex Flange Head Bolt
12 5 M6 Hex Flange Nut
13 3 M6 X 12 mm Hex Flange Head Bolt
14 3 Swivel Spacer
15 1 Harness Clip
16 1 “C” Clip
17 6 Lock Ties (1/2” Wide)
18 2 #10 Hose Clamp

Out of this bag you will need:

#4 8-wide band spring clamps.
I would recommend using heavy duty T bolt hose clamps.
THey are pricey....about 50-60$ depending on size and material.

#5 zip ties
10$

#6 90 degree elbow.....1$

I dont believe you will need anything else from this kit, most of the items are directed to the intercooler and will be supplied with the intercooler pump and heat exchanger.

Cost for bag "A":
$61

Bag "B"

Item Qty Req’d Description
1 1 ¾” Coolant Hose, 4” X 60”
2 1 ¾” Coolant Hose, 4” X 36”
3 1 ¾” Coolant Hose, 4” X 36”
4 36” 1” Convoluted Tube
5 26” 11/32” DOT Brake Vacuum Hose
6 6” ½” Coolant Hose
7 9” 3/8” Convoluted Tube

These hoses are not more than:
$40

BAG "C"

1 1 Oil Cooler Tube Manifold
2 1 Thermostat Bypass Manifold
3 4 #7 Hose clamp
4 1 M6 X 30 mm Allen Stud
5 1 M6 Hex Flange Nut
6 1 PCV Hose
7 1 PCV Hose Clamp

Total to buy or fab:
25-40$

BAG "E"

1 1 Air Inlet Rubber Bellows w/ Clamps
2 1 Inlet Air Flow Accelerator
3 1 Filter Minder with Grommet

#1 This can be made with a tube and some silicones. A fabbed unit will look better also.
Cost
40-50$ (*may be cheaper to buy from Toyota)

#2 This one is tricky, *I dont know what they are meaning with the 'inlet flow accelerator'.
Cant give answer until I see one.

#3 worthless.

Total cost for bag E:
40-*60 (assuming the flow accelerator is not something crazy)

Bag "F"

1 8 Fuel Injectors, - High Flow
2 8 Spark Plugs IKH22
3 1 Fuel Pump

#1 fuel injectors....I assume a set of 8 will cost between 200-400$
Lets middle road it with
300$

#2 Plugs: 10$ each
$80

#3 fuel pump
Providing toyota didnt use some exotic plug that cant be modded (unlikely) a Walbro 255 or Bosch 044 should provide more then enough fuel for 650-700hp.
Cost 85$

Cost for bag "F":
465$

Bags G & D
1 1 Idler Bracket
2 1 Idler Pulley
3 1 M10 X 30 mm Hex Flange Head Bolt
4 2 M10 X 85 mm Hex Flange Head Bolt
5 1 M8 X 80 mm Allen Socket Head Bolt

6. intercooler pump
7. intercooler res. with cap and bolt

#1. It may be better to buy the bracket and pulley.
Whatever toyota charges....maybe 100$?

#6 The intercooler pump can be subbed by any number of 12V pumps.
These range from 50-200$
I use Meziere 136 for 180$ (expensive pump, way overkill)

Total for bags G & D:
250$

Total cost for supercharger and aftermarket parts to install:
3935-4266$
(depending on fab ability and real world cost and quality of components used)

In truth I think I can get it lower, this was priced on better then OEM TRD components.

If I cant work out some problems with the turbo install I am going this route.

~JH

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I got my brand new supercharger and fit kit delivered for $4270. I had it installed for $850. I have a truck making 550 pound feet of torque and 500 horsepower with a full factory warranty. Have fun piecing your stuff together.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rone, where can I buy the full kit for 4270?

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I got my brand new supercharger and fit kit delivered for $4270. I had it installed for $850. I have a truck making 550 pound feet of torque and 500 horsepower with a full factory warranty. Have fun piecing your stuff together.
Can any of us buy it for that?
I think that if it could be had for that much money, there wouldn't be so many posts about people dropping $6K for the huffer. $4270...my tax return would cover that.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
He says ebay but I can't find one at that price!!

·
Preferred Dealer
1,170 Posts
This kit is very complete. The parts of the kit that need to be well made are of very good or excellent quality. The Injectors are OEM Denso late model style. The fuel pump is an OEM Denso direct drop in. The IC coolant pump is a Bosch magnetic drive type. The supercharger is of course an Eaton.... When the cost of parts and fab time all comes together, the TRD kit isn't such a bad deal. I think it probably has allot more power potential designed in there than the 504/550 spec...

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
It was one hell of a deal.... Do you remember which dealer it was? I want a trd supercharger cuz I got me a lifetime powertrain warranty :devil:

·
No Really, I swear, I'm Done..
3,091 Posts
Two problems that I think may come into play are:
1. finding a dealer that will break down the parts/part bags of the install kit. You may have some serious difficulty in getting individual parts on this. I'm not certain, but knowing how Toyota usually rolls, this might be harder than it seems.
2. Most CAIs that are set up for the OE intake will not work for the Supercharger. The throttle body is moved toward the air box and I believe set at a little different angle. The crucial item is the MAF position for most CAIs and where it will be located when you chop up the OE. The Supercharger TRD CAI has a shorter connector from the air box to the TB than the TRD CAI that you would purchase for a non-charged setup.

Having one, I will say everything that comes with it is dialed in perfectly and looks factory. People that don't know what they are looking at don't think there is anything "scabbed" in on my truck. Hell, even people that know what they are looking for don't know what's "different" when they see it for the first time. At the cost of $6k, this is a screamin' setup for a truck. I have been impressed and spooked by what this truck can do now!

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Damn JH... that was a long write-up! I'm still waiting to see your Turbo, but I'm starting to lose faith cause you've such a Tease about it!

·
Registered
754 Posts
wow what a steal.......

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
eBay member "shocken0". I just checked, and currently they do not have one listed. I will contact the seller and see if they are okay with me giving out their phone number/email address, or if they only want to sell through eBay.
if you don't mine me asking! Where did you get a kit for that price? Sounds like you got a super deal.
See above.
Can any of us buy it for that?

I think that if it could be had for that much money, there wouldn't be so many posts about people dropping $6K for the huffer. $4270...my tax return would cover that.
Sure can! See above.
He says ebay but I can't find one at that price!!
I just checked, and currently they do not have one listed. I will contact them and let them know that a few people are interested and see when they expect to get one listed again.
This kit is very complete. The parts of the kit that need to be well made are of very good or excellent quality. The Injectors are OEM Denso late model style. The fuel pump is an OEM Denso direct drop in. The IC coolant pump is a Bosch magnetic drive type. The supercharger is of course an Eaton.... When the cost of parts and fab time all comes together, the TRD kit isn't such a bad deal. I think it probably has allot more power potential designed in there than the 504/550 spec...
Exactly.
It was one hell of a deal.... Do you remember which dealer it was? I want a trd supercharger cuz I got me a lifetime powertrain warranty :devil:
If they will let me post their info, I will.
Having one, I will say everything that comes with it is dialed in perfectly and looks factory. People that don't know what they are looking at don't think there is anything "scabbed" in on my truck. Hell, even people that know what they are looking for don't know what's "different" when they see it for the first time. At the cost of $6k, this is a screamin' setup for a truck. I have been impressed and spooked by what this truck can do now!
I'm completely in awe of how well built this kit is. When I'm driving gently I don't even know the truck is supercharged. Driveability is maintained at 100%, with no surging, sputtering, or anything else.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I wonder if there is enough interest among TS members to initiate a group buy from the dealer that posted these on ebay. My wife wants our tax refund to go toward her Bimmer. It would nearly pay it off. We have some property for sale in the Kansas City area. If one of those sold, I could buy one without feeling like I was taking away from other luxuries like feeding our family and such. Man, times are tough.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Id be interested in that as well, and my tax return is in the bank and WILL cover that!!!!! :angrywife:

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
I'd have to check with my wife, but if we could get it for the $4270, that would be awesome! I'd definitely be interested...

·
Registered
39 Posts
I got a good deal on my supercharger and fit kit from Champion toyota in texas. $2900 for the blower and $2400 for the fit kit. (No tax either) $1400 for the install but that also inculded a platinum warranty for 75000 miles.

I looked into going the cheaper route and buying the stuff on ebay and then having the dealer install (Warranty purposes only)

But being in the automotive field for 30+ years and have worked for all 3 GM ,MOPAR ,AND FORD plus owned a repair/ performance facility I can tell you this, if you buy it on ebay or anywhere other than an authorisied toyota dealer and if the blower ever fails and its going to cost toyota a lot of money you could possibily have a big fight on your hands by them voiding your powertrain warranty. And yes I know about the whole magnison moss act stuff and been there several times with customers.

Even though its a toyota part, it was purchased through a 3rd party. They could try and say that it was faulty at the time of purchase. Trust me I discused this issue with the local toyota rep in my area and he said that they could possibily do that if I didnt have the recipt from a direct purchase at a authorised toyota dealer.

Working as a rep for a while myself I already knew what his answer was going to be so it was no suprise to me!

If you have a major failure and your paperwork is not in order or they find a flaw somewhere in it they could use that to try and void your powertrain warranty.

So for the little bit of extra cash and letting them install the thing I went that route. Trust me I drove over enough crankshafts in my life. It gets expensive after a while! So no worries now and a full warranty till 75000.

Truck has 25000 on it now so thats alot of time till I get bored with it or something else come along and I want that .

It never ends if your a horsepower junkie! Never satisified! Someone should open up a clinic for that they seem to have drugs and clinics for everything else!! LOLOL

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
I got a good deal on my supercharger and fit kit from Champion toyota in texas. $2900 for the blower and $2400 for the fit kit. (No tax either) $1400 for the install but that also inculded a platinum warranty for 75000 miles.

I looked into going the cheaper route and buying the stuff on ebay and then having the dealer install (Warranty purposes only)

But being in the automotive field for 30+ years and have worked for all 3 GM ,MOPAR ,AND FORD plus owned a repair/ performance facility I can tell you this, if you buy it on ebay or anywhere other than an authorisied toyota dealer and if the blower ever fails and its going to cost toyota a lot of money you could possibily have a big fight on your hands by them voiding your powertrain warranty. And yes I know about the whole magnison moss act stuff and been there several times with customers.

Even though its a toyota part, it was purchased through a 3rd party. They could try and say that it was faulty at the time of purchase. Trust me I discused this issue with the local toyota rep in my area and he said that they could possibily do that if I didnt have the recipt from a direct purchase at a authorised toyota dealer.

Working as a rep for a while myself I already knew what his answer was going to be so it was no suprise to me!

If you have a major failure and your paperwork is not in order or they find a flaw somewhere in it they could use that to try and void your powertrain warranty.

So for the little bit of extra cash and letting them install the thing I went that route. Trust me I drove over enough crankshafts in my life. It gets expensive after a while! So no worries now and a full warranty till 75000.

Truck has 25000 on it now so thats alot of time till I get bored with it or something else come along and I want that .

It never ends if your a horsepower junkie! Never satisified! Someone should open up a clinic for that they seem to have drugs and clinics for everything else!! LOLOL
If you're familiar with the Magnuson-Moss act, why do you think buying it on ebay is an issue? As long as the product is "complete" and "new" and is made by Toyota, it doesn't matter who sells it. Toyota would have the burden of proof on them to show that somehow it is less of a product. Additionally, if Toyota installed it, they would be under further scrutiny as to why they didn't a) know about the said issue/failure/fake-product, etc. and b) disclose it to the customer to begin with (i.e. that the supercharger was not, in fact Toyota's or that there were missing parts or defects, etc.).
Plus, the warranty is only 1year/12K miles on the Supercharger when it is installed by a Toyota dealer. So, it isn't as if you're covered anyway unless your Platinum Warranty explicitly includes the super-charger (most do not and those that do usually charge an extra $150+ for the provision). I think you should be fine getting it from whomever you want to as long as it is in fact Toyota's TRD Supercharger and is a complete kit. Just my $0.02.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts