Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick one. My brother and I drove to southern California over the weekend in my 2006, 2wd, AC, V-8, SR5.

I ran 40 psi in the tires and got 19.0 mpg for the entire trip of 1,300 miles. All freeway, 70-80 mph the whole way. This even includes running into some small log jams trying to skirt LA.

Not too bad, eh?

JMHO

Dan

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
How did you calculate your mpg's? My 06 dc 2wd only touches upon 18mpg running a constant 70mph in light traffic using the cruise. Anything else and it plummets to under 16.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How did you calculate your mpg's? My 06 dc 2wd only touches upon 18mpg running a constant 70mph in light traffic using the cruise. Anything else and it plummets to under 16.
I set trip odometer "A" to zero each time I fill up. Take miles at fillup divided by gallons to fill and there you have it. I rezero "A" and start over. "B" is set to zero at start of trip for total trip mileage.

I typically get 18.0 mpg with my daily commute (52 miles each way, 90% freeway).

JMHO

Dan

·
Registered
183 Posts
Very good MPG:tu: Running the tires at 40 psi is a good idea, if they are LTs (Light Truck, rated C, D, or E load rating) instead of the less capable P (Passenger) tires that most manufacturers install on new trucks (cheaper) OEM.
In 2004, on a 5000 mile trip to the very northern tip of Newfoundland (I could see giant icebergs from Greenland off the coast), I averaged 20 mpg the whole trip, even with a plastic kayak strapped to the top of a fiberglass cap on the bed, the wind resistance wasn't hardly anything, must have been the streamlined bow of the boat that was so smooth-sailing! Gas in Canada was quite high $.99 a litre = almost $4 a gal US.:td: I used cruise control quite often on the long freeway drives.:sleep:

·
Registered
455 Posts
I set trip odometer "A" to zero each time I fill up. Take miles at fillup divided by gallons to fill and there you have it. I rezero "A" and start over. "B" is set to zero at start of trip for total trip mileage.

I typically get 18.0 mpg with my daily commute (52 miles each way, 90% freeway).

JMHO

Dan
Let me guess, you work at Ft. Bragg, or Santa Rosa.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.