Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick one. My brother and I drove to southern California over the weekend in my 2006, 2wd, AC, V-8, SR5.

I ran 40 psi in the tires and got 19.0 mpg for the entire trip of 1,300 miles. All freeway, 70-80 mph the whole way. This even includes running into some small log jams trying to skirt LA.

Not too bad, eh?

JMHO

Dan

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
How did you calculate your mpg's? My 06 dc 2wd only touches upon 18mpg running a constant 70mph in light traffic using the cruise. Anything else and it plummets to under 16.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How did you calculate your mpg's? My 06 dc 2wd only touches upon 18mpg running a constant 70mph in light traffic using the cruise. Anything else and it plummets to under 16.
I set trip odometer "A" to zero each time I fill up. Take miles at fillup divided by gallons to fill and there you have it. I rezero "A" and start over. "B" is set to zero at start of trip for total trip mileage.

I typically get 18.0 mpg with my daily commute (52 miles each way, 90% freeway).

JMHO

Dan

·
Registered
183 Posts
Very good MPG:tu: Running the tires at 40 psi is a good idea, if they are LTs (Light Truck, rated C, D, or E load rating) instead of the less capable P (Passenger) tires that most manufacturers install on new trucks (cheaper) OEM.
In 2004, on a 5000 mile trip to the very northern tip of Newfoundland (I could see giant icebergs from Greenland off the coast), I averaged 20 mpg the whole trip, even with a plastic kayak strapped to the top of a fiberglass cap on the bed, the wind resistance wasn't hardly anything, must have been the streamlined bow of the boat that was so smooth-sailing! Gas in Canada was quite high $.99 a litre = almost $4 a gal US.:td: I used cruise control quite often on the long freeway drives.:sleep:

·
Registered
455 Posts
I set trip odometer "A" to zero each time I fill up. Take miles at fillup divided by gallons to fill and there you have it. I rezero "A" and start over. "B" is set to zero at start of trip for total trip mileage.

I typically get 18.0 mpg with my daily commute (52 miles each way, 90% freeway).

JMHO

Dan
Let me guess, you work at Ft. Bragg, or Santa Rosa.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let me guess, you work at Ft. Bragg, or Santa Rosa.
Live in Ukiah, work in Santa Rosa (actually, closer to Windsor right next to the Sonoma County Airport). No traffic to speak of, great drive alongside the Russian River and through the vineyards.

JMHO

Dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts