Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made my trip over the weekend. About 350 miles, each way, all interstate Highways, over 1 Large Mt. Pass, 2 Medium Mt. Passes, and 2 Small Mt. Passes. There is about 1000 pounds of bikes and gear in there, plus 2 guys at about 380 pounds. There is about 1300 miles on the new girl's odometer now.

On the way over, did 15.5 MPG, 87 octane (Union 76, Chevron and some old bike gas).
Was doing some showing off for my buddy.

On the way back, did 18.9 MPG, 87 octane (Chevron):D :tu:
I really paid attention to keeping my foot out of it, and kept it below 70 mph (Cruise control all the way).

Fun trip and the most comfortable 5 hour drive, each way, I ever spent in a vehical.

·
Registered
324 Posts
nice, those numbers sound pretty good. Furthest I've been so far is L.A. to San Diego & back. Averaged 15.6 mpg, but I was cruisin' at about 80 mph and had a brief battle with an '07 Silverado(got a nice view of his grill, lol). Haven't thrown the quad in yet, but itchin' too.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Nice MPG numbers! How did the bed rail system work with the bikes? 123Racing said the Toyota system was flimsy. Did you find that to be true?

I spent 3 years on a YZ250F, solid bikes! Been riding an orange 300 EXC lately and it's been solid too.

Can you post some pics of the bed extender mounting and how it works? I have the old style bed extender and I'm deciding if I want a new one for this truck.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Sweeeeeeeeeeeet.....Thanks for those pictures. Gas mileage is improving already with only 1300 miles on the clock, on a nicely loaded truck:tu: I'm heading up to Toronto this weekend and really looking forward to the trip. I just hope my Tonneau cover gets delivered in the next couple of days. I need to have it put on before we leave.

:ts:

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, that 18.9 number on the way back home floored me. Funny how my input directly affects the gas mileage.

I should point out, I did not use the cruise control at all while going up the passes. I "feathered" the pedal, and kept it in the highest gear possible. I stayed behind my friend pulling a travel trailer (and NO! smarta##es, I was not drafting), so up the passes I was right at 60 mph, as opposed to the posted limit of 70 mph.

MLN, the rail system needs some improvements. My buddy has a Titan and the Utilitrac is leaps and bounds more solid.
That being said, I didn't worry about the bikes. The rail system is deffinatley as rated, 220 pounds per point. The outsides straps to the bikes were attached to the "hard" mounts in the bed corners. The inside straps were both attached to one cleat on the rail system. The rail flexed just a bit with that load on it, the bed did not, just the rail itself.

My take...for the layman...
Tundras Rail system = like "Track Lighting"
Titans Utilitrac system = like "I-beam" or airplane "seat-track"
A bit extreme, I know, but its true.
I think if I tie down my 200 to 250 pound bikes to it every weekend, its going to wear out quickly, so I won't.

The bed extender works pretty slick. 2 knobs (1 on each side) lock into "C" shaped slots. A lever on each side releases them, or when lifted up to 90 degrees it can be lifted out without the levers. When the extender is flipped into the bed and the tailgate is shut and locked, the extender cannot be removed. When the tailgate is down there are 2 straps that click into the catch mechanisms on the gate, lock the tailgate and the straps must be cut to steal the extender. It is the OEM Toyota bed extender, I got my dealer to match my lowest internet quote and paid $231 for it.

Oh and the Bike on the drivers side is my wifes YZ250F, the one on the passenger side is my YZ450F, both 2003s.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Looks like you guys had some fun!!! :D Here graphics are beat up.

That gate extender looks like it helps out too. Thats awesome that your wife rides with ya.

·
Registered
210 Posts
With regards to the bed extender. I assume when you say "released" and "lifted out" you are referring to completely removing the extender from the truck for loading and unloading. I ordered the extender and was curious how that worked. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
595 Posts
MX

Does the bed extender really need those angled sides? Would it hit the wheel wells if not angled?

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
With regards to the bed extender. I assume when you say "released" and "lifted out" you are referring to completely removing the extender from the truck for loading and unloading. I ordered the extender and was curious how that worked. Thanks for your input.
The extender rotates into the bed and out onto the tailgate, without having to remove it.

Yes, "released" by the levers to be removed when the Bed extender is in its "in bed" or "extended" positions. Or it can be removed by simply raising the extender to 90 degrees, (half way between "in bed" and "extended") and lifting straight up.

Hope that is clear enough, I think I confused myself.

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MX

Does the bed extender really need those angled sides? Would it hit the wheel wells if not angled?
Yes, absolutley, overlaps the wheel wells by a good 3 to 4 in and I assume the Crewmax would even be worse.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts