Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a short guy, I'm 6'1" but I am still having a problem of parking the nose of the truck up close up in parking spaces. I'm handicapped and I usually have a disable paring sign when I park. I get out and still 12 to 18 inches I could have pulled up. I know some choices could be a camera or sonar? Does anyone have the same problem? I also though about buying a hood ornament to place on the chrome/plastic grill to use as a gauge.

Thanks,

Leon

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Yeah ,I used to have the same problem. I learned to lean out over the drivers window to get closer.

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
THe way I always figure it out is to put our tall trash can in the front and pull up to it until it bumps....then I figure out a marker on the truck that I can remember. Same with the back. You just have to remember how close it looks in each mirror and when you lean up over the seats or the dash. I know of one guy who put a laser pointer on a switch in his cab of his Dodge to help him see.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
i'll be helpful since this is a geniune situation that could use it...

look at the ebay add on sonar/parking sensors. they have some that have front and rear. u can do a camera if you want. either way. i have ebay aftermarket backup sensors on my rear bumper and they work fine unless its raining and they are wet...alot of them are that way though...just a quirk...the water droplets sit on the surface causing it to think something is real close and it just solid beeps....but u can add an aftermarket rearview camera up there pretty easily if you so chose. or do what Morning Glory (aka Rockstate) did on his truck...he's short so im sure thats why he did this :) he's got a ranch hand grill guard on the front so it wont matter what you hit.

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
Do it the way my daughter parks our Sprinter!
Drive forward until you hear a crash then back up 6 inches!:pound:

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Why not try a back up camera (wired or wireless, Autozone, etc.) in the grill and on the lisence plate. I know a guy that installed one on his company truck because he hooks it up to trailers buy himself. I see how it can be helpful if you have a hard time getting in or out.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
ebay has some 2 input monitors that will show one view till u hit reverse and it switches over to the rear view...im thinking one like that would work perfectly....u could leave it on the default input and wire a cheap camera to it, and add another camera for the rear and u'd be covered. and they are really really cheap on ebay...

·
Registered
124 Posts
You can go this route. I seen this at the local grocery store a couple weeks ago:

·
Registered
918 Posts
I have this problem all the time and I'm NOT handicapped. The fiance tends to use every last fraction of an inch when she maneuvers a vehicle and makes fun of me when I take a few extra tries to move back and fourth cutting the wheel repeatedly only to get out and find out I had over a foot, front and back. It's a combination of me just not having that great of a sense of the vehicle's size that I can cut it that close without having cameras to help, and being overly cautious to avoid fender benders. You may sometimes look dumb but if you fit where you need to fit without hitting anything then who cares. She can tell me I look dumb all she wants, I don't get body damage. She doesn't have a perfect panel left on her vehicle.

HAven't contemplated a camera or sonar. Most situations I maneuver without problems, just takes a little more time in really tight quarters.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Everything just takes time to be honest. You'll get it. The back is a bit more difficult.

On my truck I have the beep sensors on the bumper and that is SUPER helpful. I love it and gives me great idea on how close I am to another object.

·
Registered
374 Posts
i use my tow hitch as my rear sonar:D...as for the front, i just eyeball it. I whip my truck around like its a damn civic anyways.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'm not really a fan of drilling holes in your bumper for the sensors. I did find this as an alternate. I'm not sure how reliable/accurate it is. I'm going to look into this more. I would take this route to keep the clean look.

Universal Parking Sensor | No Holes | Front & Rear Reverse Parking Sensors

As for gauging, I generally use the horizon of the hood as my marker and a certain spot on a wall..as soon as they line up then I'll stop and throw in park. Hoewver, for the parking spots that I'm not use to --I try to eyeball it, cross my fingers, and hope I don't hit it.

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
Without going the sonar route. Look at whats in front of where you are pulling in as relative to the adjacent parked vehicles or paint lines. As u pull in, Use those parked vehicles/lines as a guide as you look out the side window more and not so much over the hood. Go slow and IF you feel a nudge, too far.

·
Registered
859 Posts
If I am driving forwards up to a wall, I have found that flipping on my brights gives me a better idea of how close I am, from the reflection off the wall.

Backing up, I got a $100 camera /monitor kit that Barney found and posted about a while back. Works and the monitor fits into the sunglasses holder slot, like the OEM. Now that I have used that a bit, I find that I am now better at judging without the camera for a lot of stuff. But I still use it when i need every scrap of room to maneuver.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
I'm not really a fan of drilling holes in your bumper for the sensors. I did find this as an alternate. I'm not sure how reliable/accurate it is. I'm going to look into this more. I would take this route to keep the clean look.

Universal Parking Sensor | No Holes | Front & Rear Reverse Parking Sensors

As for gauging, I generally use the horizon of the hood as my marker and a certain spot on a wall..as soon as they line up then I'll stop and throw in park. Hoewver, for the parking spots that I'm not use to --I try to eyeball it, cross my fingers, and hope I don't hit it.
walmart carries that style here but its only for plastic bumper covers...it cant sense through metal bumpers...(PS even says for all "plastic bumper cover" vehicles...)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hmmm.. they have instructions on how to get around a metal bumper as well. Let me check out wally world and see what they have.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have the exact same problem. I am used to trucks with longer noses, I think. I just accept the fact I will be an extra foot back from where I could be. That is better than being too close. I have no back up camera thingies, but I have more trouble pulling in to a spot than backing in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for everyone's input. Some were funny and a good laugh :)

I decided to go with a new head unit, a Pioeer AVIC-920BT. It has a backup camera input plus two other composite video inputs. Amazon has a 30% discount and Pioneer had a $100 rebate.

I also bought two Boyo ccd camera's.

I will let y'all know when I install it all which should be this weekend.

Again thanks to everyone.

Leon

1 - 19 of 19 Posts