Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Troubleshooting Telescoping/Tilt Steering Column

5K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  chadlwa 
#1 ·
I just registered to this forum to make this post. I have a 2017 Tundra 1794 4x4 that I purchased new and I currently have almost 42,000 miles on it. A couple of weeks ago, I noticed that the electric telescoping/tilt steering column wasn’t working correctly every time. Sometime it wouldn’t move at all, sometimes just a little. Sometimes it wouldn’t tilt at all. It would work sometimes, and not work others, but I wasn’t able to recognize any patterns. After doing this for a week and a half or so, I took it in to the Toyota Dealer. They noticed that I had Amp Research Bedsteps, and asked who had installed them. I had purchased power steps (plug-and-play version) within a couple of weeks of buying my truck, and everything worked perfectly for 1.5 years or so. The dealership thought that the problems with the steering column may be related to the Amp Research power steps. For almost a week now, I’ve been driving my truck with my power steps unplugged and have had no problems with the steering column. It’s really not making any sense, but I’ll probably continue to drive with the steps unplugged for a week, and then plug them back in and see if the problem starts again. Why would everything work like it should for almost two years and then stop one day? Any help/advice would certainly be appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.