Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's going on guys?

A few weeks ago, I finished adding some D-rings to my truck bed (http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/225750-tundra-bed-factory-d-ring-install/) with the main idea of building this rig, which would mount to them. I couldn't find a single site online that sold a rig like it to hold full size flags. So I went full custom and made one from scratch using a idea I saw on a tacoma once. Here goes,

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
Black Blue Skin Arm Beauty

This is basically the schematic I followed. I had to change the angles and measurements being that the ones in the picture were for a taco, but a good guide to go off of. I ended up using all 1 1/2" by 1 1/2" by 18gage angle iron. And a little inch and a half square tube for the pole mounts. For the poles themselves I had to end up going with a 1 1/4" square tube, which was a close fit even before paint. But it's not a spaceship..

Vehicle Machine Gas Metal

Sorry that this is the first pic I took, but its pretty easy to see what was done to get here. Got the measurements and cut the angle to match up roughly square. Added the center piece for support. All was tacked with a stick welder.

Vehicle Car Pickup truck Gas Automotive exterior

I went ahead and checked for placement with the D-rings in the bed, and moved on.

For whatever reason the uploader flipped some pictures, but this is the upside down (in pic) upright to support the mast.

You can see how it all started to shape up here. The pvc pipe was to test for straightness, next came the steel.

Vehicle Transport Car Automotive exterior Commercial vehicle

Once again, forgive the vertigo.. but here is a quick fit check in the bed. All looks good.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Tree Mode of transport

Once it was decided that 12 foot poles were a little too high class, they were brought down a bit.

I painted it with some rust-oleum truck bed liner paint, which i'm not super impressed with but it has kept the rust off for the most part.

Vehicle Car Sky Reflection Automotive exterior

Heres a shot of the poles bare from a distance. I used clevis pins to attach it to the guides on the rig, and eyebolts for the flags to attach to. They do tend to wrap around the pole when your stopped, so thats still being ironed out.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Truck bed part Motor vehicle

here we are with the first colors. Looks pretty sharp, me thinks.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Pickup truck Motor vehicle

And in the wind, it can totally turn some heads.

I know this diy is a little lacking on the information. But if you need some more pics, or troubleshooting, don't hesitate to let me know, and i'll get you running. I have wanted to do this project for some time, and it definitely feels cool cruising through town on game day with these on the back.

You know, that "this is a killer Tundra" feeling.:cool:

Hope y'all enjoyed it,

now to get some extreme wind rated flags...

-Jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
awesome. I like anything that involves a welder and America.

I think you'd turn more heads with a pirate and gay pride flag though. They'd be all "ooh scary, a pirate. I hope he doesn't steal or rape my booty."

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
Very cool! I am a member of the Patriot Guard here in Indiana and will be using my truck for support (mainly carrying flags) and have been kicking around an idea for mounting the flags somewhere other than the stake pockets.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Looks good! (except for that Klempsun Tiger flag, that is! Something Garnet & Black would look better with your truck. ;))

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks good! (except for that Klempsun Tiger flag, that is! Something Garnet & Black would look better with your truck. ;))
Don't get me started on that mess haha. But shouldn't the guy in Knoxville be a Vols fan?

Yeah Remmy, looks pretty sweet.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Don't get me started on that mess haha. But shouldn't the guy in Knoxville be a Vols fan?
I'm from Greenville, SC originally. Been a Gamecock fan all my life. I've got nothing in my house that even resembles a tiger paw! Haha. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts