Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hand washing the my truck today and it appears that the bed on the driver side is or has hit the cab. Its the top corner of the bed as you can tell cause you see white where the paint used to be (look white now instead of blue) and the cab has a ding in it. I noticed the passenger side is about 1/4 inch further away from the bed.

I have had other trucks and never had this issue, is this common with the tundras and is there anything warranty will do? Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
216 Posts
What truck are you referring to? Is this a 2nd gen Tundra?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wow.got see a pic of that please.
been hauling extra heavy stuff?rough roads?etc...?
that should NOT happen!

No heavy loads, maybe 400lbs of bagged top soil. No rough roads unless you count the crapy highways in Oklahoma City. These do get the truck a shakin and did notice the truck was getting a bit noisy on the crosstown I40

I just tried to take a pic with my iphone but its too dark to really see whats going on. Ill get my camera back from the ex and take a picture with a flash so you can see.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Wow that's some serious bed bounce. That's like the you tube video. Are the bed bolts still tight?

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
I had a 1999 Dodge Ram that did that, but nothing even close with my Tundra.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow that's some serious bed bounce. That's like the you tube video. Are the bed bolts still tight?
They appear to be, I need to make a run to harbor freight thought to get a torx bit big enough to see.

If I shake the truck side to side by the edge of the bed something is making a noise but it sounds like its just coming from the axle.

If you guys hold and slam down your tailgate does the back of your truck seem to wobble/shake whatever a few times? Its not the suspension but the bed itself

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
They appear to be, I need to make a run to harbor freight thought to get a torx bit big enough to see.

If I shake the truck side to side by the edge of the bed something is making a noise but it sounds like its just coming from the axle.

If you guys hold and slam down your tailgate does the back of your truck seem to wobble/shake whatever a few times? Its not the suspension but the bed itself
Take it to the dealer and play dumb...

Does it have a spray in bedliner?

If so, I'd take it to them as well...

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
I am guessing/hoping your damage is not that bad (see attachments)

This happened to my 07 offroading once.. i hit a huge pothole driving quite fast and the truck went airborne.. when it touched down, frame flexed causing the tonneau cover pivots to strike the cab causing this damage!

Smile, your better off than some ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am guessing/hoping your damage is not that bad (see attachments)

This happened to my 07 offroading once.. i hit a huge pothole driving quite fast and the truck went airborne.. when it touched down, frame flexed causing the tonneau cover pivots to strike the cab causing this damage!

Smile, your better off than some ;)
Mine isnt that bad, what did you do to fix it?

·
Premium Member
733 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
I've tried closing my tailgate a few times but no bed shake/noise. BTW, I have a Crewmax.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts

No shake. What Tundra model do you have? If you have one with Sports Appearance Package with no tow hitch, it can be very flexible like mine. But normally, the bed shouldn't touch the cab unless off road racing, jumping or driving it fast on really bad roads.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No shake. What Tundra model do you have? If you have one with Sports Appearance Package with no tow hitch, it can be very flexible like mine. But normally, the bed shouldn't touch the cab unless off road racing, jumping or driving it fast on really bad roads.
The truck is a 2010 5.7 Double Cab 4x4 TRD so it already does have a frame hitch. Im going to take it down the same highway today and see if it does it where I think it was. I think Ill put a glob of grease on the corner of the bed and see if it transfers to the cab after the drive.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
or just put a piece of masking tape on each part and color one side heavily with a crayon and see if it transfers the mark over to the other one....would be cleaner than a glob of grease.

plus you can just leave the tape on there and take it in and show them the transfer mark....just explain it to them..then take the tape off and show them how it damaged the cab....u could always replicate the masking tape/crayon mark on a road test with them to show them exactly as well.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
or just put a piece of masking tape on each part and color one side heavily with a crayon and see if it transfers the mark over to the other one....would be cleaner than a glob of grease.

plus you can just leave the tape on there and take it in and show them the transfer mark....just explain it to them..then take the tape off and show them how it damaged the cab....u could always replicate the masking tape/crayon mark on a road test with them to show them exactly as well.
Thanks for the idea, I didnt have a crayon at work but did find a grease pen. Unfortunately the traffic was backed up on the cross town highway in question so I never got over 20 mph taking it home. Im going to hit it tomorrow at lunch time. I also called dealership and they just said to bring it in thursday but advised me the frame is supposed to flex but they wanted to make sure the bed was far enough away.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I think someone had a similar issue and used some foam (kinda like those pool noodles) between the bed and cab. Stopped the bed bounce and kept if from touching. But if its brand new let the dealer have at it first.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I still dont have my camera back so I tried the phone again, it wont focus on anything close so I took a side pic, I notices its on both sides but didnt notice last night. you can see white where paint used to be. The bed side has also rubbed down to the primer. The bed appears that as the truck flecs it moves at an angle as it get closer to the cab.

Attachments

·
Registered
819 Posts
you can gain a wee bit more space between the box and cab if you loosen the big Bed Bolts. The Torax ones. Unscrew them up high enough that their not touching the bed floor and then with the tail gate up yank back a little like your trying to pull the bed off the frame and it will slide back a few centimeters. Then bolt it back down.

The holes in the bed have a much larger diameter than the bolts.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts