Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my truck was broken into again last night...... and I think its about time for an alarm and some type of locking console to keep my **** in so it doesn't get stolen.

What aftermarket alarms do you guys have?

Does anyone have a type of locking console vault? I cant find anything for an 02 so I think I may just go with the universal one.

·
Registered
366 Posts
go with a viper 2-way. can put sensors literally anywhere for anything... can get ground sensors that let you know if someone is walking beside it. suspension window break anything. and they have a module so you can control everything from your smart phone now...

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
If you park your vehicle just outside where you live, you can use a video camera that has infrared capability and a polarized lens to see through the window without reflective glare. You might be able to capture anyone if you can set it up to record for over 8 hours. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
go with a viper 2-way. can put sensors literally anywhere for anything... can get ground sensors that let you know if someone is walking beside it. suspension window break anything. and they have a module so you can control everything from your smart phone now...
Thats what I was thinking but don't know if it will be in my price range.

If you park your vehicle just outside where you live, you can use a video camera that has infrared capability and a polarized lens to see through the window without reflective glare. You might be able to capture anyone if you can set it up to record for over 8 hours. Just a thought.
But this only works at home, I need something that will work everywhere.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I use to have the Viper 3 channel alarm system. Pretty versatile and it does have really good sensors that will litterly sense anything anyone tries to do to your vehicle. Also, the alarm can pick up the signal from your key less unit just about 500 meters away. Only down fall that I felt was annoying was that the sensors were too sensitive. After settling in NC, there was a thunder storm one night. It was about 4am in the morning and I heard my alarm go off. As soon as that happened, I sprung out of bed and quickly ran outside to investigate, of course the wind, blowing at 30mph or so, was making the alarm system go off. Unfortunately I had to turn off my alarm that night and ran the risk of someone breaking into my vehicle, luckily that didn't happen. But in all, its a really good system, it has an ignition kill switch when someone tries tamper with the key ignition and as I said before, the sensors are really good, too good in some cases. Its not cheap though, I had the remote start system and that cost me $700 including installation. Good luck on whatever you find man, you have a really nice vehicle and its unfortunate that people are villainous enough to mess with it.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Here in NM you can just have a blinking fake alarm light and it will not be touched but if no blinking alarm light you will be broken into and that is a promise! Officer told me gangs from Juarez come up I25 all the time and go back in the early daylight hours and their cars are full of stuff they have taken her in ABQ! These guys break windows out and pry bar your stereo and they will not leave the speakers they crow bar them out also. I have not been bothered ever since i installed a cheap Clifford alarm and added an extra runner light that is one of those 1/2 moon shaped LED running lights to my dash which helps those guys that have foggy eyes!!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
You can get a simpler VIPER for less. VIPER made by DEI. DEI products are reliable.

·
Registered
696 Posts
The best thing you can do is don't keep anything of value in yer truck. A locked console or glove box won't stop squat...a screwdriver or crowbar will bust that open in seconds.

How were they breaking into yer Tundra? Were they smashing out the window? Popping the door lock? More details please... ;)

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, if you have any contacts at a toyota dealership, you can get a toyota alarm that does it all for alot less.
i know a few that had it done for $200-400.
ignition kill switch, blinking light, any electrical draw, hood & doors senors
my g-techRR suction cup only, not the unit, fell off the window setting my alarm off, & hit the center console.
i belive there is some type of inside senor, they installed.
no need to spend alot.
any alarm with senors, ignition kill will do.
look in the news paper for special's. if you have a tint world. they install viper alarms for 99.
i'll keep a eye out, for chain stores.
i'll let you know.
gorilla

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The best thing you can do is don't keep anything of value in yer truck. A locked console or glove box won't stop squat...a screwdriver or crowbar will bust that open in seconds.

How were they breaking into yer Tundra? Were they smashing out the window? Popping the door lock? More details please... ;)
Brick through the passenger window. The first time they attempted to get through the drive window but couldn't. Shattered the glass but didn't get in.

Its kind of hard unloading my truck everyday of my tools and what not. And I am talking about one of those metal locking console vaults that bolt to the floor. Not a lock on a stock plastic glove box.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Do not worry about unloading your tools becasue the vandals will take care of that for you as long as they see someting they can sell for quick bag of Meth! it's just that simple no tools no problems, when my truck was broken into they saw a tool box and they took it and the CD Player from the dash! So how many times has it been broken into?
BTW DEI makes the majority of all alarms from what i have been told by installers!

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do not worry about unloading your tools becasue the vandals will take care of that for you as long as they see someting they can sell for quick bag of Meth! it's just that simple no tools no problems, when my truck was broken into they saw a tool box and they took it and the CD Player from the dash! So how many times has it been broken into?
BTW DEI makes the majority of all alarms from what i have been told by installers!
Well they didn't touch the toolbox in the bed, it is crammed full of stuff but it stays locked. But this is the second time it has been broken into. I will have to look into the DEI alarms soon.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I have a Clifford alarm which is made by DEI and nothing been removed from my truck since! I can open the topper rear window and remove stuff and if done with care the alarm will not be tripped but it has a sensitivity setting when they install them which can be adjusted. I have removed stuff from the bed thru the bed without setting alarm off but if you touch the front doors in anyway it's going to set it off! They have sensors for the bed i think? I had a tool box taken from the bed but they pushed the sliding glass window on the camper shell and it popped open due to the force they applied to latch and it popped it open! yall seen the garage door video going around youtube name is Breaking into a gargaege in 6 seconds!

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
I have a Clifford alarm which is made by DEI and nothing been removed from my truck since! I can open the topper rear window and remove stuff and if done with care the alarm will not be tripped but it has a sensitivity setting when they install them which can be adjusted. I have removed stuff from the bed thru the bed without setting alarm off but if you touch the front doors in anyway it's going to set it off! They have sensors for the bed i think? I had a tool box taken from the bed but they pushed the sliding glass window on the camper shell and it popped open due to the force they applied to latch and it popped it open! yall seen the garage door video going around youtube name is Breaking into a gargaege in 6 seconds!
Nice...will address this vulnerability with a little homebrew, shortly.

·
Registered
635 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
I own a two way alarm from viper. I have had it for about 5 years now and it is great. I paid $200.00 for the alarm and installed it myself. If you have never installed an alarm before, I do not recommend installing it, way too many wires. As Chris said, you can set the sensitivity on the unit to whatever you want. I cannot say anything bad about DEI products.
I would not go with a Toyota Alarm system. After installing the Viper system and owning it for five years, the Viper is an all around better product. I had the original Toyota Alarm in my truck for 4 years and I am surprised i never got the Viper any earlier.

·
7,925 Posts
I once had an Alpine stereo stolen twice. On the third attempt, at night, they discovered that I had soldered fishing hooks and razor blades to the body of the stereo as well as the under dash framing. There was blood and pieces of flesh in my car and blood all over the ground outside the driver's door. My only regret is that I did not dip the razor blades and fishing hooks in feces first.

Probably illegal in every state but highly satisfying.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
I once had an Alpine stereo stolen twice. On the third attempt, at night, they discovered that I had soldered fishing hooks and razor blades to the body of the stereo as well as the under dash framing. There was blood and pieces of flesh in my car and blood all over the ground outside the driver's door. My only regret is that I did not dip the razor blades and fishing hooks in feces first.

Probably illegal in every state but highly satisfying.
OMG!...I know someone who did that here in Boston. Razor blades, but not the fishhooks. Thief got caught and sued the guy in court for medical costs/damages and winning! I'm not surprised since its Massachusetts.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts