Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Guys and Gals out there here is my tail of woe:confused:. Had the timing belt changed on my 06 at the dealer on the island. Everythings goes fine. Take truck home and on long road trip everythings goes fine on first day. Drove over 600km no issues. Several starts and stops through the day. Next day drove another 600km and it starts to act up. On the highway it would sputter. Just like someone would turn it off and restart it. Thought it was bad gas at first but it is definatley electrical. I did add methol hydrate and topped it up with premium gas. Nursed it to the dealer as it was getting worse could not go over 80km/hr. Mechanic fires it up once to see the issue then checked over the belt and timing. The work had all checked out good, the timing is correct. After reassembly and reconect the battery nothing just a click. No crank at all. Battery is fine. Now everybody is scracthing their heads. They gave me a car to get home. Just spoke to the garage and they are talking to Toyota Canada still no go this is the third day they worked on it. The mechanic has never see this before.
So any ideas out there?

·
Super Moderator
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,562 Posts
...Thought it was bad gas at first but it is definatley electrical. I did add methol hydrate and topped it up with premium gas...
Another owner who wants to get cute with fuel additives... :rolleyes:

For God's sake bunker, do not add what is, in essence, camp stove fuel to your Tundra's gasoline tank. Your fuel injectors, rings, cylinders, ignition timing, catalytic converters, etc are not designed for it. Further, it is corrosive to aluminum; it will oxidize the surface layer protecting aluminum casting from corrosion. (You didn't add an appropriate amount of corrosion inhibitor, did you? Thought not.)

Until you get that **** removed from your tank, you have no idea what's going on in your engine. :cool:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Methol hydrate also known as methonol, is the main ingredient to all gas line antifreezes which bonds with any water that could have come from bad gas. It's something that everybody is familiar with up north. I didn't add it just for the hell of it. It only got 8oz's in a full tank. Doesn't explain why there is no crank at all for the motor.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Is the truck at a Toyota dealer? If so shey should have a scan tool, they will show them virtually every parameter the ECU inputs or outputs. Now then where is the clicking coming from? Obviously something is getting power, and the key is activating this clicking sound? If so it's probably the starter relay or one of the relay connected with the ignition switch(there are several. Have them figure out what is clicking and what is not and track it down from there. My guess is a relay failed, ignition main, or circuit opening or similiar. Surely the dealer has the ability to diagnose it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes its at a Toyota dealer. They are looking at starter circiut and relays. They are also not able to comunicate with the ECU. I hate gremlins like that.

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
Not very smart about these things but to me it sounds like something has grounded out somewhere in that magical land under the hood. Maybe a voltage meter would be a good place to start? Would a bad battery be able to cause this? I had a buddy who had one cell in his battery go bad and had electrical problems as well.

Just my uninvited musings. Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
344 Posts
They are also not able to communicate with the ECU. I hate gremlins like that.
Sounds like whoever did the timing belt change replaced some other parts from Volkswagen :eek:. Seriously though, I'm no expert, but it definitely sounds electrical, might be the ECU is malfunctioning (HOPE NOT). Not a wide spread problem, do some searches and good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
The timing belt change might have just been coincidental. Sounds like your ecu is dead.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry for the delay guys. Here is the final part. They could not comminicate with the ECM due to a short in the wire from the cam shaft postion sensor. When the previous dealer did my timing belt the mechanic routed the wire incorrectly and three days later that wire shorted to ground on my return trip home. Needless to say the previous dealer picked up all costs that totaled $1600 no charge to me. This dealer provided me with a car for the week so that I could get home and to work. Total mileage was about 2000Km no question. I am pleased with Toyota for being honest and standing behind their work.

ps: The grief that one little short can cause.

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
Sorry for the delay guys. Here is the final part. They could not comminicate with the ECM due to a short in the wire from the cam shaft postion sensor. When the previous dealer did my timing belt the mechanic routed the wire incorrectly and three days later that wire shorted to ground on my return trip home. Needless to say the previous dealer picked up all costs that totaled $1600 no charge to me. This dealer provided me with a car for the week so that I could get home and to work. Total mileage was about 2000Km no question. I am pleased with Toyota for being honest and standing behind their work.

ps: The grief that one little short can cause.
Good to know it has been worked out and great to know the dealer stepped up to the plate. I wonder how many of the big three would do the same?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts