Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so this is in reference to my last thread here...

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/168688-i-cannot-figure-out-whats-making/

Since then, I have replaced the front pads, front calipers, front rotors and rear drums. Did not replace rear shoes because A) Nobody had the 8 hole models in stock, and B) mine were not hardly worn. I also had the tires roadforce balanced to eliminate them.

Now, over 3 months from when the shop first messed things up, it still shakes. We had narrowed the shaking down to the rear axle (no steering wheel shake.). So yesterday I installed my new drums thinking it would solve the problem. Guess what? It still shakes, possibly worse than ever. It used to only be if I were slowing down "slowly" but now it does it no matter how little or much I hit the brakes. The truck shakes so violently whne it happens.

Honestly, I am at a loss for what to do. I have replaced every brake component except the rear shoes. I have been told by more than a few people that shoes will not make a truck shake, only the drums being out of round will.

What do you guys suggest checking next? Do any of you have this problem? How did you fix? Any TSB's out for this?

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my 2004 doublecab. I'll keep you posted. I just had all new stuff put on the front and the shop is looking at the rears today.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Ok, so this is in reference to my last thread here...

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/168688-i-cannot-figure-out-whats-making/

Since then, I have replaced the front pads, front calipers, front rotors and rear drums. Did not replace rear shoes because A) Nobody had the 8 hole models in stock, and B) mine were not hardly worn. I also had the tires roadforce balanced to eliminate them.

Now, over 3 months from when the shop first messed things up, it still shakes. We had narrowed the shaking down to the rear axle (no steering wheel shake.). So yesterday I installed my new drums thinking it would solve the problem. Guess what? It still shakes, possibly worse than ever. It used to only be if I were slowing down "slowly" but now it does it no matter how little or much I hit the brakes. The truck shakes so violently whne it happens.

Honestly, I am at a loss for what to do. I have replaced every brake component except the rear shoes. I have been told by more than a few people that shoes will not make a truck shake, only the drums being out of round will.

What do you guys suggest checking next? Do any of you have this problem? How did you fix? Any TSB's out for this?
Brandon,

Most here will say new drums are often found out of round. Many will take them and have them trued before putting them on. I am like you, I buy new rotors or drums and just put them on, I figure most techs around here would just screw them up worse.

In any case, I would recommend changing your rear pads. I've done this even when they didn't look too bad. Some here have commented that this solves their problem. I think after time a brake pad gets hard and doesn't work right.
/Mike

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I mean pads are about the only thing I have not done so maybe that will work.

Where do you take drums to get them trued up?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Same thing happened to me and i was thinking the same as you. Turned out replacing the shoes did fix the problem. It began when the dealer tighten the rear drums too tight and the drums warped because of it. I got new drums from Napa and installed them only to find out the vibration was still there. Brought the drums back thinking they were out of round, and there was a little run-out but nothing excessive. They shaved them a little bit so i installed them again. Still vibrating. Talked to the guy at napa and said to replace the shoes so i bought a set, installed them and all is well. The shoes "seat" to the drums and if the drums are changed, the seat isn't the same and causes vibrations. Shoes are cheap and easy to replace so i'd give that a go and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, put new shoes on today, the brakes are perfect.

Thanks guys!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts