Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 Tundra 4.7 4x4. 340k miles

Truck started having issues after I got gas. I started going over a pass and the truck started jerking going up hill between 55-65mph. I made it home with no other issues. Then a week later it was about 110F outside. Truck stalled twice in a drive through and over some speed bumps going about 35-40. I thought it was the fuel pump, so I replaced pump and filter. Truck seemed to be driving fine for a week (No uphill driving) then I went up a hill and got the jerking again around 60mph. So its's been parked for some time. I drove to home depot (2miles away) with it being fine. The drive home the truck started jumping revs a little bit and stalled/cut out two times. Pull over and it fires right back up no problems. It was about 105F out. It shut off pulling into the driveway and has sat since.

• No check engine light
  • Ran diagnostics with no codes
  • Timing belt has about 10k miles on it
  • Spark Plugs about 10k miles
  • Tranny fluid is a bit old maybe 50k miles on it, but it is still very pink. (I'd really hate to drain fluid and have to do the torque converter)
  • Cleaned the throttle body and MAF
  • Air filter is clean

From what I read is sounds like the Torque Converter. Its a semi big job (and expensive) so not sure I want to just put it in without really knowing. I've tried to put it in drive and press gas and break and doesn't seem like any slipping and I don't hear any whining either.

Or a TPS ($400), but have no engine light so a bit hard to justify replacing it.

Lastly, is the Cat clogged? It has about 120K miles since it was replaced. I replaced an o2 sensor 2 years ago. (Engine light came on for that one).

Please help truck has been down for almost 3 weeks now and need it back working. I really don't think its a lose wire somewhere because of the heat related problems.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Keep driving it. Even with an intermittent issue, you should eventually get a code. Right now doesn't sound like much to go on to start guessing on expensive things like CATs and Torque Converter. You already spent money on a fuel pump. Drive it more and let the computer help you. Some things take a while to show up. Hope it is not a head gasket like my '02 with ~340k.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts