Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about 2 weeks ago i posted about my truck lunging when i come to a stop. with the help of my fellow tundra owners i was able to eliminate what wasn't wrong with it! my buddy mechanic finally was able to diagnose and fix. my center support drive shaft bearing was bad and 400$ later my truck is fixed and no more lunging! just thought i would share this info. my truck 2006 tundra dbl cab sr5 with 54k miles on it.

·
Registered
524 Posts
400 bucks for that bearing??? Its a hunk of rubber and metal, same one fits T100 iirc and I replaced mine for like 50 bucks..

·
Registered
524 Posts
the part was 190 from dealer only the rest was labor and tax
190 thats insane, and the rest was to put in? It takes a whole 15-20 mins, maybe a half hour to put in.

I bought a few of them not to long ago and one guy insisted on Toyota OEM, comparing it to an aftermarket delco that cost 75 bucks it was exactly the same.

Sorry man but thats alot of cash for a part and a TON of labor, you got taken. Ive replaced a few of them now and even the first one took no more than half an hour.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey bro thats great and all but i'm not here to argue but i noticed that you keep referring to a t100! i'm talking 06 TUNDRA. big diff in price!

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,548 Posts
190 thats insane, and the rest was to put in? It takes a whole 15-20 mins, maybe a half hour to put in.

I bought a few of them not to long ago and one guy insisted on Toyota OEM, comparing it to an aftermarket delco that cost 75 bucks it was exactly the same.

Sorry man but thats alot of cash for a part and a TON of labor, you got taken. Ive replaced a few of them now and even the first one took no more than half an hour.
20-30 minutes to change out a center support bearing? Would you be kind enough to post up a procedure for that? I've been planning on changing mine out, but the labor charge was causing me to put it off...

·
Registered
524 Posts
20-30 minutes to change out a center support bearing? Would you be kind enough to post up a procedure for that? I've been planning on changing mine out, but the labor charge was causing me to put it off...
I have yet to change one on a tundra, but have done several t100s, tacomas and other vehicles.

Had a t100 I recall doing about 6 months ago and took off the center support bearing down-held by 2 bolts, then disconnect the shafts (since its a 2pc shaft) and separate them. Remove the bearing and slap new one in and put all back together. I do recall the bolts were 14mm and you will need 2 wrenches to do it.

Its the same bearing AFAIK since a TON of parts are shared by the older T100 trucks.

I mean I could be wrong, its been awhile.

ETA:
I looked it up on in my T100 FSM (toyota factory manaul) heres how to do it:
1. Loosen support bearing from frame
2. Mark the driveshaft flanges so they go back together the right way (wrong way will cause out of sync and vibration).
3. Pull the shaft from the truck
4. Remove sleeve yoke (thats what they call it?)
5. Disconnect the shafts after marking them
6. Use hammer and chisel to remove staked nut
7. Using a SST (special service tool, which you dont need) you need a puller or just smack if off carefully with a BFH
8. Do reverse for reassembly.

Yep, last I checked that was a fairly quick job. I mean I have air tools and pullers at my disposal but still. Maybe a whole hour at best?

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
hey bro thats great and all but i'm not here to argue but i noticed that you keep referring to a t100! i'm talking 06 TUNDRA. big diff in price!
lots of parts from the T100 first attempt of a full size truck by toyota are the same or very close to parts in a gen 1 tundra...its second attempt at a full size truck. now the 2nd gen is where they finally made a big difference and got a full size truck hahahah.

but, if the repair is what u needed and thats the method u went to fix it, then good for you. even better for posting info on here so others can benefit. who cares if u can by an aftermarket part and do the labor yourself....thats not what u came on here for. back to topic..

·
Registered
524 Posts
lots of parts from the T100 first attempt of a full size truck by toyota are the same or very close to parts in a gen 1 tundra...its second attempt at a full size truck. now the 2nd gen is where they finally made a big difference and got a full size truck hahahah.
I am currently in the market for a Tundra and have a T100. A T100 has A TON of shared parts with Tundras. Infact you can save some pennies and buy T100 parts if you know what your looking at. I also own a small offroad/mechanic shop in NJ.

Oh found a pic of the shaft for ya:

·
Registered
7,461 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
So about 2 weeks ago i posted about my truck lunging when i come to a stop. with the help of my fellow tundra owners i was able to eliminate what wasn't wrong with it! my buddy mechanic finally was able to diagnose and fix. my center support drive shaft bearing was bad and 400$ later my truck is fixed and no more lunging! just thought i would share this info. my truck 2006 tundra dbl cab sr5 with 54k miles on it.

Was the actual bearing messed up or was it the rubber around the bearing? Also were you experiencing any other symptoms other than the lunging? I have the same lunging issue mainly when my a/c compressor turns on, but I also have had some driveshaft vibrations at different speeds. It feels almost like my pinion angle is out of wack.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The rubber bushing looked fine but the bearing itself had split. the symptoms i was having was the lunge at stop and just as i let off brake to accelerate. slight vibrations at various speeds also and even slight alignment issues. 3 days later all symptoms have still yet to return. i also had the tranny serviced for the first time.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The rubber bushing looked fine but the bearing itself had split. the symptoms i was having was the lunge at stop and just as i let off brake to accelerate. slight vibrations at various speeds also and even slight alignment issues. 3 days later all symptoms have still yet to return. i also had the tranny serviced for the first time.
I just want to say thank you for the update and pleaseee give us more updates.:ts:

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have yet to change one on a tundra, but have done several t100s, tacomas and other vehicles.

Had a t100 I recall doing about 6 months ago and took off the center support bearing down-held by 2 bolts, then disconnect the shafts (since its a 2pc shaft) and separate them. Remove the bearing and slap new one in and put all back together. I do recall the bolts were 14mm and you will need 2 wrenches to do it.

Its the same bearing AFAIK since a TON of parts are shared by the older T100 trucks.

I mean I could be wrong, its been awhile.

ETA:
I looked it up on in my T100 FSM (toyota factory manaul) heres how to do it:
1. Loosen support bearing from frame
2. Mark the driveshaft flanges so they go back together the right way (wrong way will cause out of sync and vibration).
3. Pull the shaft from the truck
4. Remove sleeve yoke (thats what they call it?)
5. Disconnect the shafts after marking them
6. Use hammer and chisel to remove staked nut
7. Using a SST (special service tool, which you dont need) you need a puller or just smack if off carefully with a BFH
8. Do reverse for reassembly.

Yep, last I checked that was a fairly quick job. I mean I have air tools and pullers at my disposal but still. Maybe a whole hour at best?
thank you for posting this info, this will really help me and other members by making a decision if we want to do it our selfs or paying somebody ( for those member not to mechanically oriented ).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts