Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, Just noticed my truck shakes badly when I brake. I took a look at a couple of threads and it sounds like it could be the rotors. Gonna try and get into the dealer today. I have a 2007 with 35300 miles on it and I was wondering if you all knew if the rotors would be covered under warranty. I have the 7yr/100000 mile warranty.

·
Registered
754 Posts
another arizona person...whoo hoo...dont think the warranty platinum covers the rotors someone mentioned that in another thread somewhere when we talked about buying extended warrantys since someones rotors warped at 5k miles or something like that. It might be covered under you 3/36k mile one though...should just call of course probably the power two toyota.

·
Registered
655 Posts
no warrenty,you did really good tho!you put some miles on them,with no problems.your one of the few my friend.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They're a "wear item."

-rockstate
At 35000 miles????

I want to get them checked before I get the Bilsteins and tires installed so the dealership doesn't try and say that's what caused it. So are you saying I should eat the cost. I'm definitely not paying them to replace my rotors. I'll do that myself if the Dealership what cover it under the warranty. Damn I'm still under the 36k warranty and haven't even hit the Platinum portion yet.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Yup, I had mine replaced at 30K miles and they're shuddering again at 45 (might be tires).

However, there will be ppl that say the rotors suck, but the truth of the matter is that we have a 5-6000 lb (really closer to 6 when all said and done) vehicle that generates a lot of heat when braking. Riding the brakes only make it worse but it's hard to dissipate that heat.

-rockstate

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, I'm surprised this isn't talked about more or maybe it is and I missed it. Thanks for your help. I probably won't even waste my time going to the dealer now. So, I guess the assumption to make here is that I'll be replacing my rotors every 30k miles because I actually felt the shaking awhile ago, but didn't think anything of it until it got worse. Anyone have any recommendations on where to buy rotors from?

·
Banned
1,363 Posts
This is ludicrous. I have never heard of rotors lasting less than the brake pads. I cannot see how rotors in the first 36000 miles is a "wear" item. If that is the case, then it needs to be in the "scheduled maintenance" manual. I am at 27k miles and I am also feeling a shimmy when I brake. I intend on fighting this issue if indeed my rotors are warped. I drove a Corolla to 137,000 miles and only turned the rotors once and I did ride the brakes on that car.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is ludicrous. I have never heard of rotors lasting less than the brake pads. I cannot see how rotors in the first 36000 miles is a "wear" item. If that is the case, then it needs to be in the "scheduled maintenance" manual. I am at 27k miles and I am also feeling a shimmy when I brake. I intend on fighting this issue if indeed my rotors are warped. I drove a Corolla to 137,000 miles and only turned the rotors once and I did ride the brakes on that car.
I agree. I wonder if the BIG 3 have issues with their rotors under 30k miles.

·
Registered
754 Posts
do you think the big brake kit from toyota would last longer than regular ones?
Yup, I had mine replaced at 30K miles and they're shuddering again at 45 (might be tires).

However, there will be ppl that say the rotors suck, but the truth of the matter is that we have a 5-6000 lb (really closer to 6 when all said and done) vehicle that generates a lot of heat when braking. Riding the brakes only make it worse but it's hard to dissipate that heat.

-rockstate

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
do you think the big brake kit from toyota would last longer than regular ones?
From what I hear the pads on the big brake kit need replacing every 15k miles. Not a very cost effective alternative either at $2200 :( Anddd its only the front rotors no backs from trd. But yes I think the rotors would last longer but cant speak from experience

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
FWIW i warped my silverado brakes in 8k miles...of course it was mostly towing the boat. same boat we tow with the tundra and they didnt warp till long time after that. its a big truck. bigger vehicles will warp rotors faster. common issue, even over in the sequioa area. it is in fact a wear item unless u can get a dealer to goodwill warranty them. the bigger the vehicle, regardless of who makes it, the more likely they will warp sooner. little 4 banger fwd cars wont of course cause they dont weight nothin and dont require as much to stop them.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, I guess it's a good idea to cancel the trip to the dealer. If you all have already replaced them do u have any recommendations on where to buy them.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I have 62k miles on the original pads and rotors, still smooth as a baby's powdered butt. I tow a 6000 pound travel trailer and a 3200 pound boat. I do my own tire rotations and torque the lug nuts to 97 foot pounds as stated in TSB PG001-07 for Alloy Wheels. I would venture to say that most all of the reported rotor warping is caused by over-torqued lug nuts. When I had a tire rotation done at my dealer...did it because they had a $20.00 special....I checked the nuts when I got home and they were 180 foot pounds! Some grease monkey with an air wrench got them so tight it took a breaker bar to bust them loose! Got warped rotors?? Check your nuts!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Toyota replace the rotors under the 36k warranty - but only if you complain.

I had the same issue and mine were replaced at 30k for free, they used the same brake pads which are still good at 45k now.

It is a joke, that brake pads would last longer than rotors....

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
From what I hear the pads on the big brake kit need replacing every 15k miles. Not a very cost effective alternative either at $2200 :( Anddd its only the front rotors no backs from trd. But yes I think the rotors would last longer but cant speak from experience
I wouldn't buy them if they were half the price, irrelevant of their short life span. I'd hate to be the owner of a truck with the TRD BBK and realize when I got a flat up front that I have to take one of the rear tires, place it on the front, take the spare, place it on the rear, etc, etc all on the side of a road. I'd be PISSED :td:

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
Mine are warped....again. I will not even waste my time on the factory rotors, cuz they will just warp.... AGAIN.

Ordering some EBC units.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mine are warped....again. I will not even waste my time on the factory rotors, cuz they will just warp.... AGAIN.

Ordering some EBC units.

Are EBC's the way to go? Never heard of them that's why I'm asking. I'm obviously now in the market and I'm not even gonna waste my time with the dealer now that I've heard all the bad news.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
i have 62k miles on the original pads and rotors, still smooth as a baby's powdered butt. I tow a 6000 pound travel trailer and a 3200 pound boat. I do my own tire rotations and torque the lug nuts to 97 foot pounds as stated in tsb pg001-07 for alloy wheels. i would venture to say that most all of the reported rotor warping is caused by over-torqued lug nuts. When i had a tire rotation done at my dealer...did it because they had a $20.00 special....i checked the nuts when i got home and they were 180 foot pounds! some grease monkey with an air wrench got them so tight it took a breaker bar to bust them loose! Got warped rotors?? Check your nuts!

... ^^^ ... b i n g o ... :D

I put a BIG note on my dash (for the service writer & tech) on tire changes and rotations .... "PLEASE TORQUE TO SPEC ... I CHECK TORQUE"

FWIW .. my past defective rotors and/or pads were evident in 1st - 5,000 miles.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts