Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Truck Shakes When Braking!!!!

47K views 52 replies 29 participants last post by  MacCTD 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone, Just noticed my truck shakes badly when I brake. I took a look at a couple of threads and it sounds like it could be the rotors. Gonna try and get into the dealer today. I have a 2007 with 35300 miles on it and I was wondering if you all knew if the rotors would be covered under warranty. I have the 7yr/100000 mile warranty.

#2 ·
another arizona person...whoo hoo...dont think the warranty platinum covers the rotors someone mentioned that in another thread somewhere when we talked about buying extended warrantys since someones rotors warped at 5k miles or something like that. It might be covered under you 3/36k mile one though...should just call of course probably the power two toyota.

#4 ·
no warrenty,you did really good tho!you put some miles on them,with no problems.your one of the few my friend.

#5 ·
They're a "wear item."

-rockstate
At 35000 miles????

I want to get them checked before I get the Bilsteins and tires installed so the dealership doesn't try and say that's what caused it. So are you saying I should eat the cost. I'm definitely not paying them to replace my rotors. I'll do that myself if the Dealership what cover it under the warranty. Damn I'm still under the 36k warranty and haven't even hit the Platinum portion yet.

#6 ·
Yup, I had mine replaced at 30K miles and they're shuddering again at 45 (might be tires).

However, there will be ppl that say the rotors suck, but the truth of the matter is that we have a 5-6000 lb (really closer to 6 when all said and done) vehicle that generates a lot of heat when braking. Riding the brakes only make it worse but it's hard to dissipate that heat.

-rockstate

#7 ·
Wow, I'm surprised this isn't talked about more or maybe it is and I missed it. Thanks for your help. I probably won't even waste my time going to the dealer now. So, I guess the assumption to make here is that I'll be replacing my rotors every 30k miles because I actually felt the shaking awhile ago, but didn't think anything of it until it got worse. Anyone have any recommendations on where to buy rotors from?

#8 ·
This is ludicrous. I have never heard of rotors lasting less than the brake pads. I cannot see how rotors in the first 36000 miles is a "wear" item. If that is the case, then it needs to be in the "scheduled maintenance" manual. I am at 27k miles and I am also feeling a shimmy when I brake. I intend on fighting this issue if indeed my rotors are warped. I drove a Corolla to 137,000 miles and only turned the rotors once and I did ride the brakes on that car.

#9 ·
This is ludicrous. I have never heard of rotors lasting less than the brake pads. I cannot see how rotors in the first 36000 miles is a "wear" item. If that is the case, then it needs to be in the "scheduled maintenance" manual. I am at 27k miles and I am also feeling a shimmy when I brake. I intend on fighting this issue if indeed my rotors are warped. I drove a Corolla to 137,000 miles and only turned the rotors once and I did ride the brakes on that car.
I agree. I wonder if the BIG 3 have issues with their rotors under 30k miles.

#10 ·
do you think the big brake kit from toyota would last longer than regular ones?
Yup, I had mine replaced at 30K miles and they're shuddering again at 45 (might be tires).

However, there will be ppl that say the rotors suck, but the truth of the matter is that we have a 5-6000 lb (really closer to 6 when all said and done) vehicle that generates a lot of heat when braking. Riding the brakes only make it worse but it's hard to dissipate that heat.

-rockstate

#11 ·
do you think the big brake kit from toyota would last longer than regular ones?
From what I hear the pads on the big brake kit need replacing every 15k miles. Not a very cost effective alternative either at $2200 :( Anddd its only the front rotors no backs from trd. But yes I think the rotors would last longer but cant speak from experience

#13 ·
FWIW i warped my silverado brakes in 8k miles...of course it was mostly towing the boat. same boat we tow with the tundra and they didnt warp till long time after that. its a big truck. bigger vehicles will warp rotors faster. common issue, even over in the sequioa area. it is in fact a wear item unless u can get a dealer to goodwill warranty them. the bigger the vehicle, regardless of who makes it, the more likely they will warp sooner. little 4 banger fwd cars wont of course cause they dont weight nothin and dont require as much to stop them.

#14 ·
So, I guess it's a good idea to cancel the trip to the dealer. If you all have already replaced them do u have any recommendations on where to buy them.

#15 ·
I have 62k miles on the original pads and rotors, still smooth as a baby's powdered butt. I tow a 6000 pound travel trailer and a 3200 pound boat. I do my own tire rotations and torque the lug nuts to 97 foot pounds as stated in TSB PG001-07 for Alloy Wheels. I would venture to say that most all of the reported rotor warping is caused by over-torqued lug nuts. When I had a tire rotation done at my dealer...did it because they had a $20.00 special....I checked the nuts when I got home and they were 180 foot pounds! Some grease monkey with an air wrench got them so tight it took a breaker bar to bust them loose! Got warped rotors?? Check your nuts!

#17 ·
From what I hear the pads on the big brake kit need replacing every 15k miles. Not a very cost effective alternative either at $2200 :( Anddd its only the front rotors no backs from trd. But yes I think the rotors would last longer but cant speak from experience
I wouldn't buy them if they were half the price, irrelevant of their short life span. I'd hate to be the owner of a truck with the TRD BBK and realize when I got a flat up front that I have to take one of the rear tires, place it on the front, take the spare, place it on the rear, etc, etc all on the side of a road. I'd be PISSED :td:

#19 ·
Mine are warped....again. I will not even waste my time on the factory rotors, cuz they will just warp.... AGAIN.

Ordering some EBC units.

Are EBC's the way to go? Never heard of them that's why I'm asking. I'm obviously now in the market and I'm not even gonna waste my time with the dealer now that I've heard all the bad news.

#20 ·
i have 62k miles on the original pads and rotors, still smooth as a baby's powdered butt. I tow a 6000 pound travel trailer and a 3200 pound boat. I do my own tire rotations and torque the lug nuts to 97 foot pounds as stated in tsb pg001-07 for alloy wheels. i would venture to say that most all of the reported rotor warping is caused by over-torqued lug nuts. When i had a tire rotation done at my dealer...did it because they had a $20.00 special....i checked the nuts when i got home and they were 180 foot pounds! some grease monkey with an air wrench got them so tight it took a breaker bar to bust them loose! Got warped rotors?? Check your nuts!

... ^^^ ... b i n g o ... :D

I put a BIG note on my dash (for the service writer & tech) on tire changes and rotations .... "PLEASE TORQUE TO SPEC ... I CHECK TORQUE"

FWIW .. my past defective rotors and/or pads were evident in 1st - 5,000 miles.

#22 ·

... ^^^ ... b i n g o ... :D

I put a BIG note on my dash (for the service writer & tech) on tire changes and rotations .... "PLEASE TORQUE TO SPEC ... I CHECK TORQUE"
The day I picked up my truck I checked the torque from the factory. Same results as at the dealer...took a breaker bar to loosen them. Might be OK for the steel wheels, but definitely not for the Alloy wheels. You would think it would be part of the pre-delivery inspection, but obviously not. Like I said before, I have 62,000 miles on the original pads and rotors, and the pads are a little over 1/2 gone.

#23 ·
I feel your pain.
Toyota rotors suck. 21k replaced by dealer, 38k my cost.:mad:
All 8 rotors were bad. Toyota regional representative response: we have no problems with those rotors.
You may have some luck and the dealer will replace it under warranty.
Here in MD one person replaced those twice for free under 36k.
I guess it is normal according to Yota standards:rolleyes:
Good luck.
Get Yotas if they are free, otherwise go NAPA, cheaper and better quality. I have 10k on NAPA set up, so far so good.
Here is what I got and how it looks.

I believe 1303 means that these are Akebono pads - repacked to look like NAPA.
Paul, can you confirm that?

Front NAPA/Akebono pad

Rear Pads on our Trucks are half the size of the front ones

NAPA Premium Rear rotor

NAPA Premium Rear rotor Side view

NAPA Ultimate Premium Front Rotor. Compare to the rear ones they are beefy and huge:tu:

NAPA Ultimate Premium Front Rotor Side View

Item: Brake Rotor Only - Rear - Premium
Product Number: NB 48880584
Quantity: 2
Price: 48.99

Item: Brake Rotor Only - Front - Ultra Premium
Product Number: UP 880583
Quantity: 2
Price: 124.00

Item: Brake Pads - Front, Ceramic Ultra Premium
Product Number: UP UP8419X
Quantity: 1
Price: 61.99
=============================================
Subtotal: 424.96
Tax: 25.5
Shipping: 7.95
Total: 458.41

+

Posi Quiet Extended Wear Brake Pads
Product Number: 106.13040
Quantity: 1
Price: $53.95
=============================================
Subtotal: 53.95
Tax: 0.00
Shipping: Free
Total: 53.95

:heh:

#24 ·
I agree. I wonder if the BIG 3 have issues with their rotors under 30k miles.
My experience with 3 Silverados (previous generation prior to 2007 model) says no. Smooth longest lasting brakes I've ever seen. (I understand the NBS GM trucks do not have this quality of brakes and are more prone to warping)

Two Ford F150s 97 & 2001 both had warped rotors around 25K miles. Ford had brake issues across the entire line. Family members had problems with sedans, suvs, etc.

As far as the Tundra, my rotors and pads were replaced under warranty around 30K. Would shake like the cab was going to fall off.

#25 ·
Are EBC's the way to go? Never heard of them that's why I'm asking. I'm obviously now in the market and I'm not even gonna waste my time with the dealer now that I've heard all the bad news.
Hey phillyphan, I know a local guy who can get you better rotors at a good price. I just had mine replaced by him on my Durango (yeah, I know its a Dodge) and he saved me a ton, and he is a master mechanic who takes pride in his work. If you want to do the work yourself, I'm sure he could just buy the parts and still save you a bunch of money. Drop me a PM if you're interested.

#26 ·

There are a lot of brands out there. Without knowing the composition of a most of them, I cannot rate many of them.

One major factor is the quality of the the steel they are made from. You DO NOT want Chinese steel. These will be riddled with impurities and defects that make them junk. You will start to see pitting, pockets of corrosion, and hot spots. This is most of the lower end rotors you find.

EBC has a good reputation in many different fields, and they have been around for quite some time. You may also want to look at Brembo, SSBC :: SSBC Performance Brake Systems, Baer Brake Systems | Performance you can See!, .......and etc... (no idea if these companies supply parts for a Tundra. Just using as a reference)

You get what you pay for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.