Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I’m an owner of an 2001 Tundra 4.7L SR5. The truck has a ton of life on it. Currently with 435k miles on it. It’s my daily driver and hoping to get it over the 500K mark. Anyways, I’m at a complete lost and thought I’d turn here to pick some brains. My truck a couple of weeks ago started to rumble on the freeway. sounded like it was losing gas and then not dying. Didn’t do this until I was at about 70 mph. on the freeway. A few days later I was parking in my driveway, backwards. And it stalled out 3 times until I got fed up and pulled in forward. After that everything seemed to work fine for a few days with the exception of the rough driving on the freeway.
I thought the rough driving could of been the injectors. So I put some seaway cleaner in my truck. And then took it to get smoged. Passed smog but dyed while idling when the we’re testing it. I had to floor it to get it running after the smog because I couldn’t keep it running other wise. Drove it to a parking lot, let it sit for 30 mins and then is started up with no problems, drove the rest of the day came home. No problem, next day started it up no problem for about 1/2 the day and then started to give me hell. Let it sit, and then worked fine. Next day. Would not work. Kept stalling at every light and driving really rough. Now it sits in my driveway and not sure where to start looking.

no check engine light. So no codes. One of my friends is suggesting the cam position sensor is done. Not sure if that’s a good start. Open to any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
You can pull the Idle air control valve actuator and see if it has carbon build up. I can’t remember if it threw a code, but I had stalling issues and this part was caked with carbon build up. I was able to clean it with a pipe cleaner and some carb spray.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can pull the Idle air control valve actuator and see if it has carbon build up. I can’t remember if it threw a code, but I had stalling issues and this part was caked with carbon build up. I was able to clean it with a pipe cleaner and some carb spray.
thanks, I’ll look into that today. It probably needs a good cleaning I’m sure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good call! Might try that our for my car modifications!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow 435,000? That’s pretty cool. Did you get it fixed?
oh shoot. I totally meant to write an update. I cleaned the the whole throttle body of its carbon including the IAC value actuator. It helped but didn’t solve the problem. I decided since it was down that I’d put on a new serpentine belt. When doing that I realize that the belt had chewed it way through a wire that was going to the camshafts sensor. Patch it, and haven’t had an issue since. Truck needs a bit more tlc but it’s doing well for the mileage it has on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts