Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...

I walk out to the truck to go to lunch, put the key in the ignition and turn. "Beep... beep... beep!"

"WTF!?" I say to myself as I look around and notice the "4-LO" light is blinking on the dash. Mind you, I'm not even in the truck, just standing outside. So I get in, look at everything... switch is in 2WD and locked... truck is obviously in park. I shift to neutral... nothing... still beeping and blinking. I shift to drive and lightly touch the gas... nothing except a revving engine. I shift back into neutral and away goes the beeping and 4-LO light.

Anyone ever have this happen before? I was thinking about trading it in for a Longbed... might have to think a bit harder now...

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
If it is still under warranty, head straight for the dealer!:attention:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
39k.

Will be checking the connections on the knob tonight...

·
Registered
570 Posts
SAME thing happened to mine today. SO puzzled. It then fixed itself... at the mechanic. Truck is behaving totally normally right now, but I am puzzled. Here is my story. Been posting it to so many threads I am in copy paste mode. Would love it if you have learned anything since then. I realize this is a 7 year old thread.

same thing happened today, story below. Been reading all the responses across a couple of threads here. No new gas, no strange or hard turns, running at about half a tank. Ok, my story... and I am super puzzled.

something odd like that happened to me today. after driving around fine, I get back in at a gas station and the 4lo is blinking. I didn't have it on 4x4 anything... haven't for a couple months. no gears would engage. I could put it in park, but it didn't stay put. it just rolled back due to gravity. Put it in drive, and also no reaction from the truck. Though I could physically move the shifter, no gears engaged. I have read other folks who had this problem, and there were many lights blinking. This was just the one. Obviously, tied to put it in and out of 4hi and low, and got no reaction. Could only hold the truck in place by the parking brake.

had it towed to my mechanic, and everything was fine. drove and shifted fine. He checked for codes, and there were none.

truck is behaving completely normal since then (a few hours ago). No recent weather or water or accident or anything. It was very hot out for Denver, about 95. Not sure if that had an impact.

any thoughts?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Hey all,

Basically, this is a final update. It turns out that multiple sources (including the dealer, and my trusted 15 year mechanic) have agreed I need a new transmission. The checked the speed sensor and MAF sensor and flashed some new updates the truck needed… along with fixing the myriad of recalls the truck had (it’s a 2007. It has had a LOT of very minor recalls over the years).

I’m not thrilled, but it’s a first world problem. I called several places, and the total quotes all came in around $3200. Though the prices didn’t vary much, the warranties did. The best I found was a 24k/2 year warranty on parts and labor.

The service writer at the dealership offered to match any offers. I asked if she would match the warranty as well, and they did. I am supposed to have this done in a few days for $5,300 out the door.. and I am going to use the dealership.

The upside? I feel everyone has acted in good faith on this, and I suppose it certainly won’t hurt to have a new tranny… since we tow horses and our nice horse trailer.
The downside? I am not totally sure the transmission is toast, and I can’t say for sure the whole lights on panic won’t happen again
I am copy/pasting this to a few active forums, as there are about 5 who are discussing and having this issue.

If you see nothing after this post from me, assume all is well and everything worked out. If anything flares up, I’ll come back and update.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there,

Did you ever figure out this issue? Happened to me yesterday and nobody can tell me what it was. The truck seems to be fine now. But at 145k miles I'm a bit concerned. Thank you!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Sorry, I didn't follow up here, did i? It happened twice, and ended up having to replace the entire tranny - $5,300.

good luck to you! IM or PM me if you want details.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts