Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
02 tundra trd auto tranny v8 limited. 4X2.

truck cranks and starts in neutral, but not in parking. the P for parking does not lit up. the neutral safety switch on the tranny u guys think its bad??? is it adjustable??? easy replacement?? I have accees to an auto tranny from a 2000 tundra v8 that has that switch, is it easy to swap it out??? when i take out the switch from the tranny is all the oil gonna spill and make a mess if i am not ready with a bucket??? please help, i do not want to be left stranded.

·
Registered
541 Posts
You'll have to crawl under the truck and see if the trans shift lever is fully in the park position. It may be a condition where the trans is indeed in "park" but the n/s switch has not fully closed it's contacts. Check to see if the switch can be loosened and adjusted manually. You can replace the switch w/out making a mess..... there's no tranny fluid involved in the process.

·
Registered
567 Posts
yeah check the shift cable / lever on the transmission, it is on the drivers side, just follow the cable down. it could be just something simple like the bracket is just loose or something.

Andrew

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yup i crawled under and moved the shifter at the tranny and it cliked further down into parking and the p light lit up, and started up in parking now. I adjusted the cable and its good now. this was the whole problem all this time after checking all fuses, replacing battery. can anyone look at the nut that attaches the shifter cable to the bracket that moves the tranny through the gears and tell me if it is just the nut by itself or it also has like a washer that is cut in the middle to keep it from loosening up. as it is in my truck now it just has the nut.

thanks to all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.