Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering getting a tool box for my Tundra, yes, more of the M.A.D.ness! I am just getting tired of having my dirty hands on my doors going into my cab to grab tools. Also tired of throwing any tools into the cab when hitting home depot or lowes. For those who don't know, I am a plumber so when I say my hands are dirty, no telling what's exactly on them!
I am leaning toward one that sits low between the bedrails, I don't like the ones that come up over the top. I want it somewhat hidden so it doesn't disturb the lines of my truck. Of course, to be extra picky I want it black. I am also toying with the idea of getting it sprayed with line-x.
Almost forgot, do you guys suggest steel or aluminum? I don't need anything huge, the ones I have been looking at are anywhere from 42'' to 60'' long and 18'' tall. The tools I would be hiding in it would be a sawzall, grinder, a bag of hand tools, my torch bag. A few other things here and there. All could fit in a pretty small box.

If any of you have pics, comments or suggestions, please share. Even if yours doesn't fit the description, share anyways. If the info doesn't help me particularly it can always help others. Thanks.:tu:

·
Registered
144 Posts
I bought a Kobalt from Lowes a few years ago and have been very happy with it. It sits between the bedrails, not over them. It might stick up about 2 inches higher than the bed but it does not block your view at all when looking out the back of the truck. It comes within half an inch of the fender wells. I didn't even bolt mine down, I just put a cable and locks on the corner tie downs to keep anyone from trying to take it. There is a groove in the front of the box that allowes a cable to fit in pretty nicely so it cannot be lifted out of the truck. I then put on a ratchet strap in the same groove to keep it from shifting around.. The box does go all the way down to the bed floor. If you look in my pics you can see the top of the toolbox in one of the pictures

·
The Tire Guy
261 Posts
I just bought a husky from home depot, had to settle on bright alum because it was $200 more for them to order me a black one. I figured if I were to pay that much I will just spray it with bedliner when I do my bed instead of paying the extra cash on shipping. The one I got sits between the bed rails and the lid is an 1" to 1 1/2" over the rails but I can't see the box through my rear view so its perfect. The only problem I had was that the bedliner had to meet my sawzall in a bad way. The wheel wells were keeping it from sitting flush, there is like 2-3" of room between the bedliner and the wheel wells! I need to post some pics of my truck with the lift and all so I get some shots of the box too.

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts
When I had my box here's what it looked like. It was from Lowes. I bolted the box using longer bolts for the bed. I also painted it black. I missed having my bed space and sold it. I have plans to build a two door roll out cover.

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,546 Posts
I also got mine from Lowe's. I paid $245 for it. It is the "low-profile" box, so there is no rear view interference. It sits across the bedrails, fits perfect, and has about 6" clearance below it to slide long items under. I attached two boat cleats on the front face to add tie-down points as you lose those in the front corners of the bed.

I would also recommend getting it in the diamond-plate aluminum. You have enough chrome accents on your truck that it would look great. All the black ones I see on the road start to look faded and drab from weather/heat/sun.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I've had a few over the years and finally decided that I just don't like 'em. But if I were a plumber, I might feel differently. For what its worth, I have a few suggestions. Get a steel one and paint it to match your truck, anything else just won't match well. Get one with a full length lid, those half-lid things are a PIA to store longer items. If you are less than 10 ft. tall, expect to have to climb into the bed to retrieve things from the dead center of the box. Don't know why, but that's where stuff ends-up. Also, the thing gets in your way a lot. Lay an empty trash can crossways in your bed for a couple of weeks and see how often it interferes with how you place loose items in the bed.
But hey, I got nothing but respect for the working man, so get what you need to take care of business.

·
Registered
524 Posts
3rd the full length lid, previous owner had one of those 2 door gullwing boxes mounted to my T100 when I bought it. Its ok and all, but the dang 2 doors makes it hard to put long items in there. It does interfere with the bed a bit, but not so much as to bother me. its short enough that I can still stack items under it and it also made a good spot to add some eyebolts for tie downs.

Mines a deflecta shield over bedrail. Its not a lowpro and imho sits nicely-really doesnt affect the look out the back window too. I have seen the same exact box at pepboys for 220 bucks.

Next box I get will be a single lid tho.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
Couldn't give me a double lid, well maybe for yard storage ;). I would probably go steel (stronger than aluminum) and have it line-xd to match the interior of the bed. That won't stand out as much as the white or aluminum ones. It is pretty convenient to have some space under the box. Shovels can be placed under there... along with your Hi Lift jack... :D. Have you thought about a tonneau cover? I suppose that would get in the way of hauling other stuff though. Low profile looks pretty cool.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Honestly I weigh about 200lbs and the AL one on my truck has never had any issues with it bend or anything with my weight on it.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
Honestly I weigh about 200lbs and the AL one on my truck has never had any issues with it bend or anything with my weight on it.
I hear you. What about the dreaded pipe wrench drop... or something else. I am good at bending aluminum boxes. I have three. One on each of my trailers and one destroyed and realigned from jackknifing a trailer. One saw a 2 x 4 hit and I put a nice dent in that one. I suppose they are easier to bend back :lol:

I have a 20 plus year old large weather guard steel box that still works with minimal dent-age... that puppy has seen some action.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Well, if your abusing them like that then yea it can happen quite easy.

I hardly ever put stuff in my bed and when I do its an atv or a lawnmower.. Im sure if a 2x4 impacted it or I dropped a heavy object on it would damage it nicely.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
i was looking at this same thing a few weeks back. the model i liked best for my needs is the Under Cover Swing Case. google that and you will get many responses. they mount on each side of the bed between the wheel well and tailgate, don't stick out past the wheel well, will fit easily under a tonneau cover, and swings out over the tailgate 180 degrees for easy access. they are also driver/passenger side specific and portable.

one draw back is that they did not make one specifically for gen 1 tundras. i called up the manufacturer and spoke with them about this. one of their engineers has a couple mounted in his gen 1 tundra. he used the model designated for the gen 2 tundra. the mounting apparatus is designed specifically for the shape of the gen 2 though.

they are not as big as a traditional tool box and they don't take up usable bed space either.
this is probably what i will go with in the future because i don't need to haul a lot of tools/stuff around all the time. although i would like a handy, out of the way place to store tie down straps, air compressor, jumper cables, a few hand tools, etc... perfect storage in tandem with a lockable tonneau cover.

oh, did i mention they are water proof and can be used to ice down your cold beverage of choice? :tu:

·
Registered
366 Posts
uws make the best quality boxes they are kinda pricey but they make every size and in black like ya wanted. u have a awesome truck and i wouldnt go low budget on anything get the best and be happy.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
Well, if your abusing them like that then yea it can happen quite easy.

I hardly ever put stuff in my bed and when I do its an atv or a lawnmower.. Im sure if a 2x4 impacted it or I dropped a heavy object on it would damage it nicely.
Well it is not like I am standing there smacking them with the stuff. :lol: As careful as I try to be accidents happen...

·
Registered
796 Posts
I had my truckbox Line-X'ed about 3 - 3 1/2 years ago and it's holding up great :)
No chips or anything(a little fading but I expected that)
here a link to some pics..

Line-X'ed truckbox - Photo Gallery

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
I have an aluminum tool box that slides on and off my Trac Rac rails. I purposely choose a box that did not go down to the bed as I wanted the ability to use the entire length of the bed when needed (4 X 8 sheets of plywood and such). Since it slides on and off the bed rails I can use it when needed.

Pat

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the good advice guys, and the compliment Chris. I was worried about aluminum denting, the display ones at Lowes and Home depot are pretty banged up. Then again no telling what they've been through. I know for sure I want a single lid, I worked with a guy who had a gullwing thing and it sucked to go in and out of. Everything went the the middle! Since I eventually will line-x my bed I think doing the box also is a good option. I'll just have to think about it more, determine what really suits my needs. As far as a bed cover, not an option for me since My powered cable(snake) needs space. Not to mention when I haul away 50 gal heaters.
HMMMMM. The M.A.D.ness...... :confuseda:

Great looking boxes guys. I am leaning a bit toward the one Remmy has now, I never thought much about space beneath the bed. Would make carrying my extension ladder easier. decisions decisions. I guess I'll just shop around until I find one I can't walk away from! There are pro's and con's to aluminum and steel.

·
Registered
796 Posts
for what it matters..
my box stops right above the tie down hooks in front
so I can still use them..
Also, what else I like about my box is because it's not so deep,
I'm able to put things like plywood or 2x4's under the box
which comes in handy alot :)
I can even put 2x4's under my box,all the way to the front of my bed,
with the tailgate CLOSED :)

Also my box was made specifically for our year Tundra's
and you don't have the wasted space between the bedrails
that you end up having when trying to use a box made for a compact truck, since most of the full size boxes are too wide :)

anyway my box was made by http://www.uniquetruckaccessories.com/pdf/CLowPro.pdf if anyone's interested :)
model # TB661LP(add a "B" to the end if you want a black powder coated box)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts