Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove my '07 tundra Saturday morning and came home a parked it. Went to start it up about an hour later and it would not start. Tried to fire but died right away. After several attempts, it wouldn't even fire. NO CODES. I let it sit for about 4 hours then went back and tried again, on the third try it started right up and has ran fine since. Any ideas?:confused:

·
Registered
19 Posts
The same thing happened to me. Drove it home last night and it was running good. This morning, tried to start it, fired up for about 10 seconds then died, tried again and the same thing, ran for 5 - 10 seconds, then died. The 3rd time, it just cranked over and did not even hint of firing. I was livid, as the truck hit 60,000 miles a week ago (out of warranty).

There were no flashing gauge lights or gauge lights staying on. So, I though maybe I would get lucky and reset the trucks computer. I removed the positive cable from the battery for about 5 minutes and reconnected it. Truck started right up. Again there were no gauge lights indicating there were any problems. Truck seems ok.

I am a bit concerned, as I use truck to go to pretty remote areas in NE Nevada and don't want to be left stranded.

Any thoughts from the forum members?

Dave

·
Registered
70 Posts
sounds like a fueling issue
fuel pump relay? fuel pump itself?
does it normally take a bit of cranking to get the engine running or does it fire up right away when working "normally"?

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
I have this issue about every other month. The engine starts, runs for 2-3 seconds and dies, no sputter or miss, just quits. I disconnect the battery ground terminal and reconnect it, and everything is fine for another couple months. I keep a 10mm wrench in the door panel so I'm always ready. I have not found anything official about it from Toyota, but it comes up enough here that I know it is an ongoing issue for quite a few trucks. Most people think it is related to the immobilizer because apparently that works by shutting off the fuel, which causes what I'm getting. I tried my spare key for awhile to see if it wasn't "talking" to the truck right, no difference. If anyone has any further info or experience, I'd like to hear it, and if I get any I'll pass it on.

·
Premium Member
5,456 Posts
OK, this is kind of a long shot but worth mentioning!:rolleyes:
Is the truck always parked in the same place when it does that??:cool:
The communication between the key and the truck is very low level radio so an outside interference of some kind could block it.:devil:
Next time it happens look to see if the immobilizer light on the dash is flashing. if it is then you have some kind of radio interference.;)

·
Premium Member
5,456 Posts
There's an immobilizer light on the dash? Holy Shades of "Things my Tundra has that I don't know about ..."
Yep!! Little flashing red truck symbol to the right of the clock. Yes there is a clock!:eek: :D:D:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have an 08 crewmax sr5 with the same problem but i also have a lot of radio issues and after radio # 6 and waiting for # 7 to come in computer still reads truck is healthy any one else have these two problems together

·
Registered
70 Posts
Has anyone had this happen lately. Mine did it today for the second time in about a year. Just swapped relays and it is running fine. Has Toyota found the problem?

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,568 Posts
One issue that happened to my father in law, he's got the crewmax limited so the steering wheel powers into position whenever he starts the truck (the DC doesn't have the memory steering wheel, so it doesn't do that) and anyway he had an intermittent short in two of the wires from the ignition switch. About half the time the truck started up fine, but other times it wouldn't and it took over a week of troubleshooting to finally determine where the problem was. Anyway, it was two wires that weren't properly protected. I'd look under and around the steering column to see if that could be your problem if you have a non-starting truck with motorized steering wheel.

·
Registered
57 Posts
This happen to my '07. I had it towed to the dealer the next day and it started right up. They put an engine wiring harness in....no questions asked....been fine since (6 months).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Same thing happened to my 07 died then cranked and ran a few secs then wouldnt crank, while looking in the manual for a fuel pump fuse. I found this fuel pump shut off safety feature. If your truck dies it shuts the pump off to reset it I belive I just had to turn key to on position for 5 sec and then back off and then she cranked fine. That may be completely wrong procedure but it was in my manual and the truck cranked and hasnt ever died again so I havent needed to do it again.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Mine did that once...when I was getting my bumpers installed. They couldn't figure it out...was dead and would turn over, but not start for just about 3 days? Then...right before they were going to send it to Toyota ...it started. Confirmed that the fuel pump was working during this problem...we could hear it running in the tank. Hasn't happened since...just over a year now. Checked for codes...none were there. I called and talked to Toyota about it. They said...without codes...there was no telling. They said I could bring it in, but they'd basically have to start a detailed extensive search for the problem which could take quite some time. Basically...we mutually agreed it was worthless to do anything until or unless the problem resurfaced. If anyone finds anything definitive out...I'll be watching this thread.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts