Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"00 4.7 wont idle. Keeps dying. Need to pump gas to get it to start. No check engine light But it could be burned out. Any help appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
60 Posts
Clean your MAF Sensor and your throttle body, they are both most likey dirty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Give it a try once it stops snowin. Were gettin snow where Im at and Im having to drive my prerunner w/ no windows not fun. THanks for the reply

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
No check engine light But it could be burned out.
Your CEL should illuminate every time you turn your key during an engine start up. I think it comes on when the key gets to the Accessory position.

I second what Gort11 said. Most idling issues are caused by one or a combination of the following:
- MAF
- Throttle body
- Air filter
- Plugs

Paul

·
Life Member
95 Posts
I'm thinking it is more likely the PCV valve. It's only 5 or 6 bucks at the dealer and less than five minutes to swap out. If this has never been replaced, it is almost certainly the problem.

Cleaning the MAF and TB may also help, but the PCV is easier and more likely related to the problem you are describing.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm thinking it is more likely the PCV valve. It's only 5 or 6 bucks at the dealer and less than five minutes to swap out. If this has never been replaced, it is almost certainly the problem.

Cleaning the MAF and TB may also help, but the PCV is easier and more likely related to the problem you are describing.

Good luck!
Thanks for the input. Still snowin here so cant get to it yet. I'm also thinkin its another problem. My alternator. As last night drivin home my lights would get brighter with acceleration & dim when off the throttle. This causing the battery not to run @ 12volts which inturn the car wont idle properly. Any thoughts??

·
Registered
568 Posts
If the lights are getting brighter then the alternator is working (right?). How new is your battery? I am thinking you just need a throttle body cleaning. I know my idle popped up to about 1000 for a while after the clean until the computer compensated.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
I recently bought Mass Air Flow sensor cleaner and Throttle Body cleaner from a parts store and they worked great. Both the MAF and TB were very easy to get to and clean. Cleaned the TB right on the truck. Fixed my low idle and post start stall problem. Both were very dirty at 60K miles. Can recommended cleaning them both every air filter change. That's easy enough. According to my repair manual my PCV valve was working but they run $10 or less and stupid easy to change so did that too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I recently bought Mass Air Flow sensor cleaner and Throttle Body cleaner from a parts store and they worked great. Both the MAF and TB were very easy to get to and clean. Cleaned the TB right on the truck. Fixed my low idle and post start stall problem. Both were very dirty at 60K miles. Can recommended cleaning them both every air filter change. That's easy enough. According to my repair manual my PCV valve was working but they run $10 or less and stupid easy to change so did that too.
Well finally got under the hood. Cleaned my Throttle body & MAF. Idle went way up but has seemed to come down to the line below 1000rpm on the tac. So well see if this cured my problem as it was very intermitent. How do I pull the pcv valve out I was having trouble checking it as it didnt just pop out as I assumed. Thanks again for all the input

·
Life Member
95 Posts
I does "just pop out", but takes a bit of twisting and pulling to get it out of there. Be sure the area around the block is clean before you pull it out or some of that dirt/sand may fall into the hole. On my 4.7 the PCV was on the right side of the block, near the front - attached to a hose that goes to the top of the throttle body. I don't believe you can damage the PCV by pulling too hard - even if you did, you have a new one to replace it with.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts