Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so i am soooo fed up with all this BS around the so called "CAI" and the waisting of money and all the garbage going along with it that I attempted my own CAI with parts and glue I already had in the garage. So here is what you will need...

1) Liquid nails tube and caulk gun.
2) 2ft of 2" flexible hose. Rigid shop vac hose works great. look for free one on Craigslist.
3) Locking Oil Funnel by Flotool - Part 10709 - Advance Auto Parts____
4) 2" hole saw.

Standing in front of your truck looking at the engine, after removing the complete air box, cut a 2" hole in the bottom right corner of the air box. Make sure you cut the hole before the filter.

Insert the 2ft shopvac flex hose into the hole you just cut and seal inside and outside with the Liquid nails and leave to dry. This will ensure an air tight fit and also prevent it from pulling out.

After glue dried re-install air box.Do not remove the factory hose that goes into the wheel well and close off any other holes you might have drilled (do not close the one with the flex hose) on previous occasions. So this will leave you with 2 holes in your factory air box, one going to the wheel well and the other you just glued a 2" flex hose to.

Now after re-installing it you will notice a hole in the body next to the headlight and I think it is either a transmission cooler hose or an air con hose that passes through the hole. Insert your 2" flex hose through this hole along with the metal one already there. You might have to bend and pry the flex hose to a snug fit.

Now the next step didn't really make a huge difference so it will be optional. it might also make the removal of the air box a little problem. You can insert and glue the little blue funnel (in the link up top) to the outside end of thi flex hose to act as a scoop for accumulating more air and forcing it in to the engine. If the pressure in the air box gets more than what the engine can consume it will just force out the wheel well end.

I have been driving my truck like this for about a week now. I immediately noticed a more "alertness" in the truck and when driving in 90 degree plus weather i do not feel the huge loss of power so bad. it feels like I am driving the truck in a cool summer morning air. this has been so uch more worth the effort and a bigger satisfaction that the $300 for a K&N filter. My butt dyno told me we gained some power, not sure how much but its a little... (-:

Two more things that dramatically improved the drivability of the truck was the drive train lube and TB cleaning.

I will post some pick after i sprayed everything black and it looks a little better.

This mod gets a huge thumbs up from me and for less that $10 what do you have to loose?

Happy air box modding.

:attention:

·
7,925 Posts
1.5 MPG gain on the highway at 75 MPH. I originally ran it jamming the box up with around 11 times more air than the engine can consume. Currently I have routed out some of the areas between the ribs on the side of the box opposite the entrance from the fender well which allows the debris the scoop manages to dump in the box to be jettisoned as well as allows the air charge to be constantly replenished. I found that if the unused incoming air is allowed to hang out in the air box it starts to heat up. Also makes very a really nice sound around 2800 RPM.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mmmm...

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1.5 MPG gain on the highway at 75 MPH. I originally ran it jamming the box up with around 11 times more air than the engine can consume. Currently I have routed out some of the areas between the ribs on the side of the box opposite the entrance from the fender well which allows the debris the scoop manages to dump in the box to be jettisoned as well as allows the air charge to be constantly replenished. I found that if the unused incoming air is allowed to hang out in the air box it starts to heat up. Also makes very a really nice sound around 2800 RPM.
Ha thank you for the momory jogg.. Now I remember seeing this some time ago. Why did it take me so long to do this??? i guess tghe only difference between this two applications is possisioning. I mounted mine a little higher. You mentioned you rounder out some ribs what exactly did you do? Apart from the filter being pretty quiet (I removed the resonator from my exhaust) the exhaust is still throaty and this mod just removed the loud noise you get from the K&N.

·
7,925 Posts
Ha thank you for the momory jogg.. Now I remember seeing this some time ago. Why did it take me so long to do this??? i guess tghe only difference between this two applications is possisioning. I mounted mine a little higher. You mentioned you rounder out some ribs what exactly did you do? Apart from the filter being pretty quiet (I removed the resonator from my exhaust) the exhaust is still throaty and this mod just removed the loud noise you get from the K&N.

There are actually a couple of differences.

• I am utilizing the original stock hole in the fender to feed the air box from the directly from the ram air intake ram.
  • You are still drawing from the fender in the stock configuration and added a hole to supplement the stock air box intake.
  • I routed out between the ribs to let excess air out.
  • The intake scoop positions are, as you pointed out, different.
I will try and get some pictures tomorrow when I go to mow my Godmother's lawn for her. I no longer have a camera so it may take me a minute but I should be able to post some pictures tomorrow night.

Also running the True Flow intake and foam filter which I love. I would not mind having my ram air intake a little higher up in the grill rather than under the bumper but it does work well where it is currently at and gathers a ton of air.

Replaced my stock resonator with a glass pack and running an Aeroturbine exhaust. Will be going to true duals with twin Aeroturbines with a modified H-pipe of my own design later in the summer. Need to pay bills and get back on my feet first.

·
7,925 Posts
Here's some pics for you.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great!!!! Thank you for the pics.... One question though... Doesnt that allow hot air in at low speeds?

·
7,925 Posts
Great!!!! Thank you for the pics.... One question though... Doesnt that allow hot air in at low speeds?
I would think that it does but at low engine speed (like sitting at a light) hot air means less fuel is injected. At nearly any speed the scoop gathers more air than the engine can ingest.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
OK so i am soooo fed up with all this BS around the so called "CAI" and the waisting of money and all the garbage going along with it

Just wondering what your definition is of waste of money? If it is something that someone buys for their vehicle that provides no real improvement? If that is the case, wouldnt half of your mods be considered a waste of money too? Like step bars or spot lights?I am not here to start a fight, I just see the same repeat threads on here regularly, and I have not even been a member here that long.
Here's how it goes- New guy joins the site, all excited because he's like a kid on Christmas day. He doesnt spend any time reading first, he just wants to jump in there and ask some questions. I should know, I was guilty of it too. Then you get a couple of veteran members chime in and they tell these guys how stupid they are for not reading first and then telling them how stupid a CAI is. Your never going to get people to stop asking the same questions because it's never the same guys who ask the questions. Just some new guys pulling the trigger a little too quick. Maybe give them a break. I see the same threads too but I just dont see the point in chiming in and bashing.
That being said, I have an AFE CAI. And oh my god yes, it is even open style. I know, I am a total idiot. But I dont really care. I like how it looks, I like how it sounds and I knew what I was getting into when I bought it. Is my truck any faster? Not that I can tell. But I dont fell like it lost anything either. So, at the end of the day, good for you for doing a mod for for little or no money, and sharing that info with fellow members.
But as far as bashing what people do with or to, their vehicles, is it really necessary to slam them?
Again, not trying to pick a fight so please dont get pissed at me. I just dont understand why some guys get so mad at how people blow their money. Hey let's be honest here. Pretty much anything we put on these trucks that is not simpy a replacement of a warn out OEM part could be considered a waste of money and not truly necessary. I will continue doing it whenever I see something I want for my truck. Happy modding.

·
Forum Admin
8,246 Posts
Well done!

Where did you put the intake end?
Behind the black honeycomb in the right-side lower valence of the '05 resin bumper.

·
Forum Admin
8,246 Posts
Thanks

Is this more of a mod for the earlier Tundras or will an 06 benefit from it as well?
If you have a 2006 and I have a 2005, we basically have the truck. :tu:

I can't really confirm any "benefits" to this mod other than saying that it's a similar design to what Hi-Volt tested in his experiments.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I just drilled two 1" holes in the front of my air box. I didn't put anything on mine to "scoop" in the air, but I can still definitely tell a difference. I may try Tundradrenalin's idea the next time one of my vacuum cleaners break though...

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK so i am soooo fed up with all this BS around the so called "CAI" and the waisting of money and all the garbage going along with it

Just wondering what your definition is of waste of money? If it is something that someone buys for their vehicle that provides no real improvement? If that is the case, wouldn't half of your mods be considered a waste of money too? Like step bars or spot lights?I am not here to start a fight, I just see the same repeat threads on here regularly, and I have not even been a member here that long.
Here's how it goes- New guy joins the site, all excited because he's like a kid on Christmas day. He doesn't spend any time reading first, he just wants to jump in there and ask some questions. I should know, I was guilty of it too. Then you get a couple of veteran members chime in and they tell these guys how stupid they are for not reading first and then telling them how stupid a CAI is. Your never going to get people to stop asking the same questions because it's never the same guys who ask the questions. Just some new guys pulling the trigger a little too quick. Maybe give them a break. I see the same threads too but I just dint see the point in chiming in and bashing.
That being said, I have an AFE CAI. And oh my god yes, it is even open style. I know, I am a total idiot. But I dont really care. I like how it looks, I like how it sounds and I knew what I was getting into when I bought it. Is my truck any faster? Not that I can tell. But I dont fell like it lost anything either. So, at the end of the day, good for you for doing a mod for for little or no money, and sharing that info with fellow members.
But as far as bashing what people do with or to, their vehicles, is it really necessary to slam them?
Again, not trying to pick a fight so please dont get pissed at me. I just dont understand why some guys get so mad at how people blow their money. Hey let's be honest here. Pretty much anything we put on these trucks that is not simpy a replacement of a warn out OEM part could be considered a waste of money and not truly necessary. I will continue doing it whenever I see something I want for my truck. Happy modding.
First i thought i was not even going to reply to this but you ask valid questions that deserve valid answers.

Yes maybe I am bashing and I didn mean to make people feel as if they are waisting there money and i should probably have added that this was my own opinions. All the mods i have on my truck i use for someting or another. The step for the wife to get in and out easier the spot lights so i can see further at night and so on and so on.... I didnt really like the look of the CAI and after installing it I hated the loud noise it made going up an incline and accelerating. If ig ot the claimed 13 HP K&N promisses I probably would have been happy, but that was not the case. after doing the research on here I saw overwhelming "No dont waist your money" posts and i thought i would see for my self. the conclusion I came to was that, to me atleast, it was a huge waist of money.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Up and Up.

Ok So I'm thinking about taking on this project rather than buying a K&N CIA.

I have the K&N Drop in inside too.

So I want to make a hole in the front of the air box and put a black scooper behind the lower grille on my resin bumper.

So I should also make holes on the bottom of the filter too like HWLizzard?

Will the sound be about the same as the K&N's filter?

And will the "Hp" increase a little bit too? :devil:

Thanks for posting the thread just wanna be sure because I have all the materials and time tomorrow anyways lol.

·
7,925 Posts
Up and Up.

Ok So I'm thinking about taking on this project rather than buying a K&N CIA.

I have the K&N Drop in inside too.

So I want to make a hole in the front of the air box and put a black scooper behind the lower grille on my resin bumper.

So I should also make holes on the bottom of the filter too like HWLizzard?

Will the sound be about the same as the K&N's filter?

And will the "Hp" increase a little bit too? :devil:

Thanks for posting the thread just wanna be sure because I have all the materials and time tomorrow anyways lol.
I would not recommend the holes unless you install a scoop lower than where you are planning on putting it. Mine hangs underneath the front bumper and manages to collect a lot of debris. I routed out the holes to allow that debris to find a way out of the air box. My scoop collects and jams somewhere in the neighborhood of 11 times more air than the engine can ingest. With that kind of air flow it pushes the debris out quite nicely now. The set-up you are looking at is fine for opening up some breathing for your engine but it would not produce enough volume or velocity to make the holes worth doing. Nothing wrong with that at all, just don't go cutting holes needlessly in your box.

In addition, I am hoping that the constant replenishing of air in the air box will help keep IA temperatures closer to ambient. I noticed before routing the holes that the air box was hot and my theory is that the air in there just got stacked while waiting to be sucked in the engine and soaked up heat from the engine bay. Now it is a little cooler. Eventually I want to install a large diameter tube to enclose the intake tube from the air box to the Throttle Body and route the excess air through it to help keep the intake tube a little cooler as well. It does not help that the tube sits directly behind a hot as all-get-out radiator where it can pick up all that heat there too.

The holes also produce a very cool sound under hard acceleration - kind of a low howl. Under normal (just what does that mean?) acceleration it sounds like a stock intake.

At any rate - here are some dirty pictures for you.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts