Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a True Flow Intake #40501 for $67 off Ebay. I know they are out of business but it is the same product they were selling for much more. From the some of the previous posts it sounds like that should have been the original MSRP, maybe why they have gone out of business. Any how, the only issue I have is when I turn the ignition on I get a warning light that flashes maitenance required about five times and then goes away. Does anybody know why this is or how to fix it. Also just curiuos what other peoples opion is on these who have used them or had expirence with them.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, good call it is an 06 with 4.7. Thanks for the info I'll check the manual. Do you know anyone else that has used this system? If so do you know if they claimed any MPG or power increase?

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
Yeah, good call it is an 06 with 4.7. Thanks for the info I'll check the manual. Do you know anyone else that has used this system? If so do you know if they claimed any MPG or power increase?
I think Big_AI1 got an increase in MPG. I am runnig the True Flow as well and love it. The only problem now is finding the recharge kits. I have done so many modifications that I can hardly keep track of which one got me what kind of gains. I went with the True Flow purely for better protection. The engine does run out smoother with the aftermarket intake tube.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
"I am runnig the True Flow as well and love it. The only problem now is finding the recharge kits. "

Can you not just use a recharge kit from any supplier? I have AFE but bought K&N kit because it was cheap and available at the local hardware store. AFE was more than twice the price and I would have to special order it.

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
"I am runnig the True Flow as well and love it. The only problem now is finding the recharge kits. "

Can you not just use a recharge kit from any supplier? I have AFE but bought K&N kit because it was cheap and available at the local hardware store. AFE was more than twice the price and I would have to special order it.
I thought about using the K&N but I think I remember reading once somewhere that the oils used by each manufacturer are specific to their product in terms of how it reacts with the foam used in the filter. I clean my filter with Simple Green, lots of lukewarm water, and plenty of patience but have not found an oil to replace the True Flow oil.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a thought, it is a foam filter very similar to what is run on many atv's and such. When the time comes I am planing to go to the local power sports store and pick up a foam filter cleaning kit and oil. It should be effective. I think the oil for the cotton filters is not as tacky as the foam oils that I have used. Also, it does say specifically in the instructions for the kit NOT TO USE K/N OIL.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Just a thought, it is a foam filter very similar to what is run on many atv's and such. When the time comes I am planing to go to the local power sports store and pick up a foam filter cleaning kit and oil. It should be effective. I think the oil for the cotton filters is not as tacky as the foam oils that I have used. Also, it does say specifically in the instructions for the kit NOT TO USE K/N OIL.
That's exactly what I was gonna suggest.

·
I'm just here for the food!
600 Posts
yes the kit specifically says to use the TrueFlow brand of oil and cleaner. THe oil is quite tackier than what the KN filter uses. The filter itself I have noticed has essentially disintegrated within the four years that I have had them. I have two filters and now my last set has started to come apart. Once this filter goes I'm thinking of going Volant because it's gonna get expensive REAL FAST buying a new filter each time I need to clean it since the company is no longer around.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How about an AFE dry filter. Since you still have the factory air box any drop in would be much cheaper than a new system. I just like the idea of the dry filter. Anyone have expirence with them?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Its basically the same oil used in dirt bike/atv filters. As the one poster mentioned just go get some foam filter dirt bike oil, spray it on and work in into the foam. They say don't use K&N because its too thin for the foam and won't stick well to it.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
How about an AFE dry filter. Since you still have the factory air box any drop in would be much cheaper than a new system. I just like the idea of the dry filter. Anyone have expirence with them?
I had an AFE Prodry drop-in and liked it. I plan on getting another one to replace the oiled filter in my Volant. There's at least one thread on here about them.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
true flow was made by a brand called UNI (so i hear). they manufacture motorcycle air filters and they also offer cleaning kits that were basically re-badged for True Flow. you can find the kits on amazon and its exactly what you true flow guys need. you can also pick up the kits at your local motorcycle/dirt bike shop.

website for UNI:Welcome to Uni Filter.com

Uni Filter UFM-400 Filter Oil and Cleaner Service Kit

buy the kit here at Amazon: Amazon.com: Uni Filter UFM-400 Filter Oil and Cleaner Service Kit: Automotive

1 - 13 of 13 Posts