Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, i was thinking about switching my K&N filter to a compatible True Flow filter on my K&N Cold Air Intake. I will leave the K&N tube and Heatshield on, but put the True Flow filter on the end. What do you guys think or has anyone else done anything like this?

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Hey, i was thinking about switching my K&N filter to a compatible True Flow filter on my K&N Cold Air Intake. I will leave the K&N tube and Heatshield on, but put the True Flow filter on the end. What do you guys think or has anyone else done anything like this?
Strangely I just did this. I got my filter off of Amazon for 45 bucks plus free shipping. I like my FIPK because it fits my driving style....but I hated the filter. True flow is the best you can get besides OEM when it comes to filtering.

This is what I bought Amazon.com: True Flow 90202 Air Filter Universal 3-1/2" (5.5" W x 6.5" L Open Element Filter): Automotive

I fits perfectly. I think the longer one with the 3.5" inlet might have fit too...but I didn't want to risk it. There is still plenty of surface area on this filter to suffice. If you go to Trueflows website you can find universal filters if you have the measurements. The only one you really need is the inlet size, and that is 3.5". I believe there is a shorter one and a longer one. I simply searched the part number that they give you on Amazon and found what I wanted! It's as easy as that!

Good luck:tu:

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
Any "open air element" filters in my book are not good at filtering. They still have to be oiled, and you'll need to clean your maf and throttle body every now and then.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Any "open air element" filters in my book are not good at filtering. They still have to be oiled, and you'll need to clean your maf and throttle body every now and then.
So a Trueflow filter that is in the stock box is ok? What about those foam filters on offroad race trucks that stick out of the hood and are only protected by a little shield so mud doesn't fly on them? I would think they filter well enough for engine builders to trust them to protect their 500+ horsepower engines.

Yeah these filters are oiled, but people have had much better results with these Trueflows than K&N's. That's exactly why I changed mine. And If I need to clean my throttle body and MAF every other oil change...gee I guess I can take the extra 5 minutes out of my life and clean them with some 2 dollar carb cleaner....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
--Great! I just followed the link you gave and bought one. Should be here in five to nine days, haha.
Good buy! I'm glad I could help :tu:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, i think im ordering mine off that site, thanks hugemoose.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
So a Trueflow filter that is in the stock box is ok? What about those foam filters on offroad race trucks that stick out of the hood and are only protected by a little shield so mud doesn't fly on them? I would think they filter well enough for engine builders to trust them to protect their 500+ horsepower engines.

Yeah these filters are oiled, but people have had much better results with these Trueflows than K&N's. That's exactly why I changed mine. And If I need to clean my throttle body and MAF every other oil change...gee I guess I can take the extra 5 minutes out of my life and clean them with some 2 dollar carb cleaner....:rolleyes:
You are comparing apples to oranges. Those offroad race trucks will see more abuse/constant maintenance than your truck ever will.

Foam filters are used to absorb water. Most off-road/mudding people use them. Amsoil's foam filters work great, but again, way too much oil in them.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
You are comparing apples to oranges. Those offroad race trucks will see more abuse/constant maintenance than your truck ever will.

Foam filters are used to absorb water. Most off-road/mudding people use them. Amsoil's foam filters work great, but again, way too much oil in them.
Right....so they use a top notch filter so they don't get all F'ed up.

And yes they may have too much oil in them, but once that excess is gone you're set. As far as I know it's the only way to keep the FIPK (even if some people don't like them) and have a great filter.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Glad you guys found a retrofit :tu:.

The True Flow media seems to be a very good filter.
You're welcome :D I did a lot of research on this. Plus Amazon has everything!!!

It does seem to be a great filter. I'm really happy with it so far......plus it looks great :cool:

·
No Really, I swear, I'm Done..
3,091 Posts
I think I have had a Trueflow filter in my truck for well over 50k miles. I haven't had a gummed up MAF ever, last I checked 1000 miles ago it had some dust on it but that is all.

When you oil a trueflow you let it soak in and then dry the back of it off. The directions tell you to blot the back of it very well so no oil penetrates, plus the more dirt in a sponge filter the better filtering it does.

That is sweet that the FIPK has a retrofit for a sponge!!!

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I think I have had a Trueflow filter in my truck for well over 50k miles. I haven't had a gummed up MAF ever, last I checked 1000 miles ago it had some dust on it but that is all.

When you oil a trueflow you let it soak in and then dry the back of it off. The directions tell you to blot the back of it very well so no oil penetrates, plus the more dirt in a sponge filter the better filtering it does.

That is sweet that the FIPK has a retrofit for a sponge!!!
Good deal!! This makes me even happier that I did this. Thanks for the good info on the filter. There was just too much bad info around about the K&N; I had to ditch it. But I really wanted to keep my FIPK despite its tendency to suck in hot air from a dead stop on a hot day :rolleyes: :D

I really should have patented this little retrofit of mine :D I'll try to get some pics up soon, although its pretty strait forward.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Still waiting for the Trueflow to come in. However today i went out with the K&N and ran some 0-60 times on my g meter, and whenever i get the Trueflow in Ill do the same run with it. For the K&N i got an avg of 8.8 seconds, however the run starts flat then begins to slope uphill. Im not sure yet whether or not the Trueflow will help my performance or just protect my engine better than K&N. Hopefully both

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Still waiting for the Trueflow to come in. However today i went out with the K&N and ran some 0-60 times on my g meter, and whenever i get the Trueflow in Ill do the same run with it. For the K&N i got an avg of 8.8 seconds, however the run starts flat then begins to slope uphill. Im not sure yet whether or not the Trueflow will help my performance or just protect my engine better than K&N. Hopefully both
Sounds good! I am guessing that it will just filter a whole lot better and not really add any power. If you still have the stock intake box slap that on and do the same test. You should also do some 45-75 tests and maybe also 25-55 tests. Do one with the stock intake then with the FIPK w/Trueflow filter. Maybe we'll actually have some proof that it makes a difference in those higher rpms and speeds.

Just a thought :D

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
That's my next mod, gonna cram a loofa on one of these things :clown:

I should probably clean my TrueFlow...
Hahaha yeah let us know how that goes! :clown: :tu:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts